Line Item Veto

code1211

Apr 8, 2009
Does anyone wonder why the Big 0 has not asked his minions in the Congress for the Line Item Veto? Why he hasn't used the Bully Pulpit to bring this to the public? Since the Repubs have no chance of getting anything passed at all, he'd probably have all of their votes on this right away.

Everyone agrees that the budget will never be balanced until the Chief Executive has this power and this is the ideal time to get it with big majorities in both houses.

C'mon, Prez, have Harry and Nancy give you the LIV.

Does anyone wonder why the Big 0 has not asked his minions in the Congress for the Line Item Veto? Why he hasn't used the Bully Pulpit to bring this to the public? Since the Repubs have no chance of getting anything passed at all, he'd probably have all of their votes on this right away.

Everyone agrees that the budget will never be balanced until the Chief Executive has this power and this is the ideal time to get it with big majorities in both houses.

I think that would be a good idea but it was declared unconstitutional a while ago. That is why it is no longer around. When we had it budgets magically shrank.

because the last one was ruled unconstitutional by using a statute to change constitutional duties rather than the legal way to AMEND the constitution

Unconstitutional.

Line Item Veto gives too much power to the President and upsets the checks and balances inWashington. While it appears on the surface to be a simple matter to just veto what you object to, in reality it gives the President unprecidented power to shape legislation. Right now, it is all or nothing and enables Congress to maintain a certain level of control

Does anyone wonder why the Big 0 has not asked his minions in the Congress for the Line Item Veto?

Because it's a very bad idea.

The Constitution empowers the House to originate spending bills. That's a clear indication of the Founders' intention of keeping fiscal matters close to the People. Allowing a President to thwart the People's will would be an unnecessary burden on public policy.

Line Item Veto gives too much power to the President and upsets the checks and balances inWashington. While it appears on the surface to be a simple matter to just veto what you object to, in reality it gives the President unprecidented power to shape legislation. Right now, it is all or nothing and enables Congress to maintain a certain level of control

While the line item veto sounds like a good idea I have to agree with RW. It would give the Prez way too much power. He could literally shape the Govt any way he wanted to. Too bad because it would be a good way to get rid of some of the bs and christmas ornaments that get attached to some of the good bills out there.

If you think the U.S. political pendulum swings back and forth a lot NOW - just wait to see what would happen with a LIV. Every new president could completely re-shape government programs in his/her own image.

Our system of checks and balances was developed to discourage such fast, radical swings.

I would support some measures to remove the systemic obstacles to meaningful change, but not this one. Lawmakers who treat the taxpayer's money like it is their own personal checking account have to be curtailed but I don't think taking away the power of the purse from Congress is the right solution.

the Supreme Court already said the line item veto is unconstitutional.

I doubt Obama would want it or use it anyway, even if the COTUS were amended to allow it.

He's been very hands-off with Congress. If you go back and research his position, he doesn't believe the Executive should have the kind of power his predecessor believed in and seems to be taking steps to return the roles to what he feels is the proper Constitutional balance.

It's one of the issues on which I agree with him, although I do wish he would use the bully pulpit more effectively and often!! But that has nothing to do with hard powers and everything to do with leadership, which is another topic for another thread. :D

Rather than give a line item veto, I would rather see complete transparency on all bills. Make it clear who added what and why. All earmarks and riders should be clearly marked with who added them.

I'd also like to see a way to keep all non-relevant earmarks and riders off of Congressional bills

not if it was done by a constitutional amendment
congress could still override any veto
but, congress can not give up its own constitutional duties by statute, nor can they take away constitutional duties of the other branches by statute
that was why the law passed was found unconstitutional
it didnt follow the constitutional means of making changes

the Supreme Court already said the line item veto is unconstitutional.
no, they didnt
they ruled the LAW was unconstitutional because of the fact it changed the constitution without following the amendment process

Rather than give a line item veto, I would rather see complete transparency on all bills. Make it clear who added what and why. All earmarks and riders should be clearly marked with who added them.

I'd also like to see a way to keep all non-relevant earmarks and riders off of Congressional bills
i would support it and a constitutional amendment to end earmarks
if a project is worthy and qualified for federal funding, then it should stand on its own and be voted on (up/down)

i would support it and a constitutional amendment to end earmarks
if a project is worthy and qualified for federal funding, then it should stand on its own and be voted on (up/down)

Agree

There should be a way to submit earmarks by themselves or in groups of similar requests that can be voted on their own merits. To add to an unrelated bill and say "I will not vote for the bill unless you add my earmark" should not be allowed

Edning earmarks wouldn't require Constitutional amendment, just a change in the procedural rules in the House and Senate disallowing unrelated amendments to bills. Why do it the hard way?

Unconstitutional.
Yep. It is... till the constitution is amended. This is one of a few amendments I want made.

1. Presidential Line Item Veto
2. Two terms or 12 years in office (whichever is longest) term limit for all elected positions with a lifetime cap of 24 years. This cap would include bureaucrats and appointees.
3. Congressional districts drawn with smallest volume, shortest perimeter possible.
4. Flat tax set at 10-15% after the repeal of or as an amending of the Income Tax amendment for all incomes.
5. All bills must be read into congressional record, and posted for public awareness before any vote can be made.
6. Ban all riders and earmarks to legislation.
7. Ban on all public sector unions. (or require public referendum for pay raises or changes in benefits)

Any of those 7 would make me smile. Probably help save the union and return it to a true federalist state, too.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back