CDZ Lindsey Graham Drops out of the race...unfortunate, but not unexpected...

Whereas I may not agree with Mr. Graham's choices, I trust that he would not have led the country on a "one way journey," so to speak, from which there is no return

Graham was an idiot. He was proposing at the debate that we send 10k troops into SYRIA! ...For WHAT? So that we can help radical Muslims defeat ISIS? :dunno:

When you have your two biggest enemies fighting each other, you don't jump in the middle of it!

Does the U.S. truly have two enemies, to say nothing of two big ones? Syria may not be an ally, but that hardly makes them an enemy per se. Aside from ISIS/ISIL being "all up in their nation," what threat do Syrians really pose to the U.S? Seems to me the biggest threat associated with Syria is that of the chaos that nation has become opening the door to ISIS/ISIL's gaining a stronger and larger territorial hold.

The point of sending troops to Syria or to any extent using our armed forces there has not to do with Syria and Assad. It has to do with ISIS/ISIL, and the proof that it does is seen in the Syrian armed forces being unable to literally dispense with ISIS/ISIL as we did with Iraq's force in both our wars there. Syrian forces, quite simply are incapable of dealing decisively with the threats that face them.

The matter of what the U.S., indeed the rest of the world, should do about Syria's civil war that is happening concurrently with ISIS/ISIL undertaking a "land grab" there is one of doing what one can to ensure that the lesser of two evils prevails. For whatever one may think of Syria and it's political regime, one cannot deny that the Syria we've known and disliked for years is nonetheless a better "world citizen" than would be ISIS/ISIL and Islamic State were it to overcome the Assad regime.

Sorry... I think it's pure stupidity for us to expend human lives in a war there. We have absolutely nothing to gain from that venture. You said it best yourself, Syria poses NO threat to us, they can't even deal with ISIS. Back in 2001, George W. Bush asked the world to stand with us and help us eliminate radical Islamic terror and countries like Syria turned their noses up at the idea. Others chose to politicize his efforts and turn him into a pariah. Fuck Syria... they had their chance! We don't owe them a damn thing, certainly not the blood of American soldiers.

Lindsey Graham is a retarded idiot who wants to put us in the middle of a war we cannot win! ...AND YOU SUPPORT HIM!

Red:
I accept that that is what you think. I do not think that it is pure stupidity for the U.S. to send fighting forces there.

Green:
I did write that and I stand by it. Syria does not pose any such threat. ISIS/ISIL does, at least I think it does.

The critical thing one must understand is that Syria is not ISIS/ISIL. Syria is a sovereign nation headed politically by a man who, for whatever onerous things he may do, he is not about to order Syrian government personnel to deliberately execute attacks on America, American resources, or non-American resources that are important -- to great and small extent -- to America. ISIS/ISIL, on the other hand, most has and will attempt to do so again.

Accordingly, while there is little to gain by fighting in Syria with Assad, his regime and assets as our targets, there is definitely something to gain by fighting there. The reason to send our military resources and people to Syria is to advance the objective of defeating ISIS/ISIL, or at least to ensure it does not expand their territorial control to include the whole of Syria wherefrom it can establish a more robust base of operations and begin the process of actually forming the sovereign state that it presumably would call "Islamic State."

If ISIS/ISIL are allowed to gain control of an entire country, we would, instead of stopping it from doing so be forced to overthrow it. If you are of a mind to argue the relative preponderance of value accruing from overthrowing a state as compared with and contrasted to preventing a group from acquiring one, have at it. I'll read your argument.

Blue:
You clearly did not read or understand, or God forbid both, what I wrote here.

Sorry... I think it's pure stupidity for us to expend human lives in a war there. We have absolutely nothing to gain from that venture. You said it best yourself, Syria poses NO threat to us, they can't even deal with ISIS. Back in 2001, George W. Bush asked the world to stand with us and help us eliminate radical Islamic terror and countries like Syria turned their noses up at the idea. Others chose to politicize his efforts and turn him into a pariah. Fuck Syria... they had their chance! We don't owe them a damn thing, certainly not the blood of American soldiers.

Lindsey Graham is a retarded idiot who wants to put us in the middle of a war we cannot win! ...AND YOU SUPPORT HIM!

When considering the threat an organization like ISIS/ISIL may or may not pose, I strongly suggest you review the history, rhetoric, tactics, and near and long term achievements of Che Guevara and others in history's pantheon of revolutionary figures. Guevara's success in Bolivia are not at all unlike those of ISIS/ISIL in Syria, and like the 1960 era Bolivia armed forces, Syria's are outmatched by ISIS'/ISIL's. Without intervention from someone -- be it the U.S. or someone else -- ISIS/ISIL may come also to mirror Guevara's success in overthrowing an entire small nation's government as he did in Cuba.

Additionally, I'd wager that were you to read the story of the U.S.' genesis by reading the English press of the time, you'd see a very different picture of events and attitudes than those presented in American grade through high school classrooms and history texts.
Without committed intervention in Syria, I believe there's little stopping ISIS/ISIL from achieving substantively the same thing: the local overthrow and casting off of an existing regime. Certainly ISIS/ISIL is no less committed to doing so than were the rebels who founded the U.S. Remember, there were lots of loyalists in the colonies, smart and successful men, no less; they ended up being on the losing side of the conflict.

I don't need to review anything, I don't need to consider anything. I have one criteria for when we should ever put boots on the ground... when our national security is at risk if we don't. I understand ISIS is bad, Syria is bad too.... bad players all around. Whether there is something for us to gain... I don't care. I used to... back in 2001 I was behind the Bush Doctrine. When everyone complained that we were going into Iraq, I said we needed to clean out Syria too. I wanted to exterminate all this scum back then when we had the momentum. As soon as boots hit the ground, this country turned into a bunch of pussies who didn't want to fight the terrorists anymore. Nothing would do until we turned it into Vietnam II and destroyed Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld.

Now that I realize our nation isn't serious about fighting the terrorists, I have no intention of supporting anymore of it. All we're going to do is send a few thousand of our bravest men to go die for nothing and I want NO part of that. I have friends who lost sons to the War in Iraq. No one gave two shits about what those boys died for, and they still don't. You want to suit up and go to Syria and figure out who the bad guys are? Go for it! You're not sending my kids and grandkids. And Lindsey Graham is a complete FOOL to think that's a smart idea.

I don't need to review anything, I don't need to consider anything. I have one criteria for when we should ever put boots on the ground... when our national security is at risk if we don't. I understand ISIS is bad, Syria is bad too.... bad players all around. Whether there is something for us to gain... I don't care. I used to... ....

Very well...and with that ends yours and my discussion on the matter.

Forum List

Back