Lindsey Graham Contradicts Himself On Earmarks In Under A Minute

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Moments after declaring that the country needs earmark reform, Sen. Lindsey Graham offered an arduous defense of his own, well, earmarking.

Appearing on NBC's Meet the Press, the South Carolina Republican was asked about his good friend John McCain's pork-focused critique of the omnibus spending bill that was held up in the Senate on Friday.

"We do need earmark reform," said Graham. "I wish [the president] would veto the bill, we'd get back together and come up with the earmark reform process."

Seconds later, however, Graham was reminded that he himself had inserted 37 earmarks in the legislation, including $950,000 for "a convention center in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina."

After defending the transparency and necessity of such an expenditure, Graham finally finished the 180, saying of the Myrtle Beach funding: "I voted to take all earmarks out, but I will come back in the new process and put that back in."

In other words: earmarking is terrible, but I should have the ability to earmark.

To be fair, Graham -- like every other member of Congress who inserted pork into the omnibus -- had to do it publicly. Moreover, the number of earmarks has dropped significantly since Congress passed legislative changes to the process after Democrats regained control.

"Senator McCain does not object to members of Congress designating money to be spent in their state," Graham explained, "as long as it has a federal purpose, is transparent and its easy to understand what the money is going to be spent for."

Their blind attack on all earmarks has left them vunerable since 6 of the highest 10 are republicans.

Earmarks are not of themself evil. Every elected official has the right to try and bring home some of the money for needed projects in his/her district.

Lindsay is a real sharp cookie, Makes Reid look like presidential material.:lol:

Their blind attack on all earmarks has left them vunerable since 6 of the highest 10 are republicans.

Earmarks are not of themself evil. Every elected official has the right to try and bring home some of the money for needed projects in his/her district.

Lindsay is a real sharp cookie, Makes Reid look like presidential material.:lol:

Your postin' skills are top notch! Keep it up!

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

Rayboyusmc works to keep his hard drive functioning - alas, to no avail...

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

What do you think about Lindsay being a big porker?

Obama said there will be transparancy. And if a pork project is rediculous, it will get public attention, and probably get cut off.

This is how its supposed to work. You should be happy? :clap2:

Instead you are playing politics with EARMARKS.

We are on to you.

Obama isn't a dummy like Gore & Kerry & Carter. This is the new Democratic party. Hipper, wiser, sharper.

It'll be 30 years before the GOP control government again. :eusa_pray:

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

Obama said there will be transparancy. And if a pork project is rediculous, it will get public attention, and probably get cut off.

We are on to you.

Obama isn't a dummy like Gore & Kerry & Carter. This is the new Democratic party. Hipper, wiser, sharper.

Wow. Almost as impressive as Rayboy.

Almost...

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

We are on to you.

Almost...

Nothing to say? :lol:

Did you know the biggest pork/earmarkers in 2007 & 2008 were Republicans, even though the Dems controlled both houses?

How do you think we got any bills passed.

Republicans love pork.

They hate transparency, because then we find out the real truth.

This Dems are playing the GOP like Obama played McCain in the election.

We are on to you.

Almost...

Did you know the biggest pork/earmarkers in 2007 & 2008 were Republicans, even though the Dems controlled both houses?

Republicans love pork.

This Dems are playing the GOP like Obama played McCain in the election.[/QUOT

Bobo adds yet another brilliant contribution to the forum...

nerd.jpg

Almost...

Republicans love pork.

This Dems are playing the GOP like Obama played McCain in the election.[/QUOT

Bobo adds yet another brilliant contribution to the forum...

nerd.jpg

Go back and read everything you wrote. Show me your contributions to this topic you little bitch. :lol:

You just want to derail the conversation because this story busts the Republicans for the bs/hypocricy.

And funny, because I posted the story. It got you to come in. Yet you have said nothing. What a little fart you must be in real life.

I've posted about this elsewhere. I don't care if it's a Rep or Dem -- pork is pork. Why in the hell should the government be paying for 'pig swine odor research' and 'save Pelosi's mouse' crap and all the other shit shoveled into the 'stimulus' package or the budget? Where are Obama's balls on sending the budget back and having ALL pork removed? His excuse is that it's 'last years business'. What a load of crap. The budget contains some earmarks requested by the Busn admin and by lawmakers who have since died, retired or been indicted for corruption. But Obama plays the 'Bush' card and will sign it. What a pansy. He claims 'no earmarks' next year? Really? Sure, and that'll be because it has a new name, just like 'Global Warming' now goes by 'Climate Change'. It's all swill.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I've posted about this elsewhere. I don't care if it's a Rep or Dem -- pork is pork. Why in the hell should the government be paying for 'pig swine odor research' and 'save Pelosi's mouse' crap and all the other shit shoveled into the 'stimulus' package or the budget? Where are Obama's balls on sending the budget back and having ALL pork removed? His excuse is that it's 'last years business'. What a load of crap. The budget contains some earmarks requested by the Busn admin and by lawmakers who have since died, retired or been indicted for corruption. But Obama plays the 'Bush' card and will sign it. What a pansy. He claims 'no earmarks' next year? Really? Sure, and that'll be because it has a new name, just like 'Global Warming' now goes by 'Climate Change'. It's all swill.

Provide links. If the pork stinks, we will call and complain and maybe it will be taken out.

That's the idea behind transparency.

How many years did it take to discover the bridge to knowhere?

Yet you already know about the pork?

Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. :clap2:

And now we know Lindsay Graham is full of shit.

Remember I said that the GOP had more pork in 2007 and 2008 than did Democrats? You don't care who's pork? Then why do you consistently vote GOP? I'm assuming you do.

Provide links. If the pork stinks, we will call and complain and maybe it will be taken out.

Remember I said that the GOP had more pork in 2007 and 2008 than did Democrats? You don't care who's pork? Then why do you consistently vote GOP? I'm assuming you do.

prove it.

prove it.

You prove it wrong. Or, I'll do it when he proves links of the pork he's talking about.

And I wasn't talking to you anyways Del.

And, is that all you had to say Del? :eusa_drool:

prove it.

You prove it wrong. Or, I'll do it when he proves links of the pork he's talking about.

so you can't prove it, what a stunning development. how much money do you think robert byrd has spent on earmarks since 1999? take a guess,sealy, cmon.

prove it.

so you can't prove it, what a stunning development. how much money do you think robert byrd has spent on earmarks since 1999? take a guess,sealy, cmon.

Oh I can prove it. And I am telling the truth. But for once, you are going to have to prove me wrong.

Whats a matter? You can't find who the top porkers are year by year? I'm not going to do your work for you. But I am telling you, the GOP spent the most pork in 2007 and 2008.

Hard to find because Bush's government wasn't very transparent. But there are watchdog groups that kept track for us.

McCain doesn't bring home a lot of bacon. That is true. I found this out on the same site. You want me to prove this too or will you take my word for it?

I'm not a monkey who jumps thru hoops for a guy in the Republican subculture.

You are the minority now Del. Now it is time to prove the shit you say is true. My party is running the show, so you will just have to take my word for it.

Oh I can prove it. And I am telling the truth. But for once, you are going to have to prove me wrong.

Whats a matter? You can't find who the top porkers are year by year? I'm not going to do your work for you. But I am telling you, the GOP spent the most pork in 2007 and 2008.

Hard to find because Bush's government wasn't very transparent. But there are watchdog groups that kept track for us.

McCain doesn't bring home a lot of bacon. That is true. I found this out on the same site. You want me to prove this too or will you take my word for it?

I'm not a monkey who jumps thru hoops for a guy in the Republican subculture.

You are the minority now Del. Now it is time to prove the shit you say is true. My party is running the show, so you will just have to take my word for it.

i wouldn't take your word for the sun rising in the east, bobo.

Crap, I lost the post I just typed. Here's the link: Budget Pork Will Bedevil Obama -- Courant.com

Seely, I think you're missing the point. You are so gleeful that Graham tripped himself up . . . it's BOTH parties that are guilty of pork and wasteful spending. If you're angered that the Reps have so much pork, aren't you just as angered that the Dems do too? And aren't you angered that Obama isn't doing anything about it? Oh yeah, he says he will. :rolleyes:

Why isn't Obama keeping his word and insisting that the pork be taken out of THIS budget? Why is he falling back on his 'blame Bush' tactics?

If both parties are guilty of wasteful, porky pig spending . . . why in the world would I let that be my determining reason for how I vote?

BTW, I'm not a 'HE', I'm a 'SHE'.

Last edited:
7 of the top 10 and 10 of the top 15 House of Rep Pork spenders are Democrats.

While both sides spend too damn much of tax payer dollars on nonsense, this spending is dominated by the Democrat Party.

http://www.cagw.org/site/DocServer/House_-_dollar.pdf?docID=3022

The Senate breakdown, while showing a higher showing of Republican pork spenders, is still dominated by the Democrat Party, with 10 of the top 15 pork spenders being Democrat.

http://www.cagw.org/site/DocServer/Senate_-_dollar.pdf?docID=3024

The Dems do love them some PORK!!!

Forum List

Back