Linda Ronstadt Booed

I heard on the radio this AM that good ole Linda said that, quote, "Christians and Republicans are NOT welcome at her concerts".

Can you imagine Toby Keith getting up in front of an audiance and saying "Aethists or Muslims and Democrats are not welcome at my concerts"?

freeandfun1 said:
I heard on the radio this AM that good ole Linda said that, quote, "Christians and Republicans are NOT welcome at her concerts".

Can you imagine Toby Keith getting up in front of an audiance and saying "Aethists or Muslims and Democrats are not welcome at my concerts"?

Just the rumor of him saying something like that and he would be made to apolgize and take sensitivity classes..... :(

freeandfun1 said:

I can imagine that she'd change that point of view once she realized that not including Christians and Republicans to her concert would make ticket sales divebomb. What a dumbass she is. If I had one of her CDs, at this point, I would take great joy in burning it. Which is what I did with my Chixie Dicks music.

lilcountriegal said:
I can imagine that she'd change that point of view once she realized that not including Christians and Republicans to her concert would make ticket sales divebomb. What a dumbass she is. If I had one of her CDs, at this point, I would take great joy in burning it. Which is what I did with my Chixie Dicks music.

There is some good news out of all this.....

The Alladdin has reported an increase in reservations and people are saying they want to stay there because they admire what the management did. I am glad something good can come from all this and it was smart of the Alladdin to take the position they did, which frankly, was probably easy when one looks at things from a strictly business point of view.

lilcountriegal said:

It does make me wonder if performing is secondary to having a platform for their political ideas?? :huh:

In all honesty, I dislike any type of performer who uses the stage as a political platform, regardless of which way they lean. If I'm paying big bucks to see a show, I want just that... a show. Not a political speech. If I wanted to hear a political show, I'd turn on C-Span for free.

lilcountriegal said:
In all honesty, I dislike any type of performer who uses the stage as a political platform, regardless of which way they lean. If I'm paying big bucks to see a show, I want just that... a show. Not a political speech. If I wanted to hear a political show, I'd turn on C-Span for free.

I agree, and would add that it irks me that they have such high opinions of themselves that A) they think we care what they think, and B) somehow they are better informed and smarter than we the audience........Especially considering most of them are hardly paragons of virtue.

Laura Ingrahm's book "Shut up and Sing" is a great read on this subject.

Bonnie said:
I agree, and would add that it irks me that they have such high opinions of themselves that A) they think we care what they think, and B) somehow they are better informed and smarter than we the audience........Especially considering most of them are hardly paragons of virtue.

<i>The Las Vegas Sun, the city's other daily paper, said that that the Aladdin "overreacted" and "Las Vegas should be embarrassed at her treatment here."

"The intermingling of politics and entertainment has a long history, one that surely predates all of our lifetimes. Marlon Brando (news), Lenny Bruce, Bono, John Lennon ... the Dixie Chicks (news - web sites) ...-- the list of entertainers who have used their time in the limelight to express political opinions is inexhaustible," the paper said.

It added, "Ronstadt has been touring the country since May and has been praising Moore at each stop. Las Vegas should be embarrassed at her treatment here. Nowhere else but in the Entertainment Capital of the World has she been treated so inappropriately." </i>

I think that's the funniest thing said all along. To claim that because politics and entertainment has a long history...and the putrid examples that they gave...is in any way a justification for it continuing is laubable. And, really, why should Las Vegas be embarassed...did the city of Vegas vote on a referendum to boot her out? She was treated with the same respect she showed her hosts; for that's what they were hosts. They were not a government, nor government sponsored event. Private people and companies can invite or disinvite anyone from their premises or from performing in their venues.

The people who are complaining about her treatment need to get a better handle on reality.

Moi said:
<i>The Las Vegas Sun, the city's other daily paper, said that that the Aladdin "overreacted" and "Las Vegas should be embarrassed at her treatment here."

"The intermingling of politics and entertainment has a long history, one that surely predates all of our lifetimes. Marlon Brando (news), Lenny Bruce, Bono, John Lennon ... the Dixie Chicks (news - web sites) ...-- the list of entertainers who have used their time in the limelight to express political opinions is inexhaustible," the paper said.

It added, "Ronstadt has been touring the country since May and has been praising Moore at each stop. Las Vegas should be embarrassed at her treatment here. Nowhere else but in the Entertainment Capital of the World has she been treated so inappropriately." </i>

I think that's the funniest thing said all along. To claim that because politics and entertainment has a long history...and the putrid examples that they gave...is in any way a justification for it continuing is laubable. And, really, why should Las Vegas be embarassed...did the city of Vegas vote on a referendum to boot her out? She was treated with the same respect she showed her hosts; for that's what they were hosts. They were not a government, nor government sponsored event. Private people and companies can invite or disinvite anyone from their premises or from performing in their venues.

The people who are complaining about her treatment need to get a better handle on reality.

the owners of the Sun are personal friends of the Clintons. Whenever Clinton comes to Vegas, he visits their home. He was college roomates with the son of the owner of the paper.

It is known as our left-leaning rag in Vegas.

Hannitized said:
Bonnie said:
Yes, and try to imagine if a politician were to slam a movie or recently released CD! Why would we care what a politician thinks? We wouldn't. And neither do we care what celebs think about politics. While everybody has an opinion, most people do not have a fan base with with to abuse their celebrity. I'm sick of singers and actors spouting their opinions. Remember, those people paid to attend her concert, not to be a captive audience for her politics.

In addition to not being paragons of virtue, many entertainers are un- or under-educated, too, so their opining is sound and fury that signifies nothing.
For example, I remember reading that Julia Roberts didn't even graduate from h.s., yet we occasionally endure her political comments. Ugh!

Moi said:

:thup:

Forum List

Back