Lincoln's War

Same tired old argument about Lincoln the racist. To make a long story short, yes the North was racist, too. So Lincoln had to speak to those people, but he took the strongest stand against slavery that was possible at the time. That's all he could do, and to do it he had to make some rather racist arguments. Yes, he had to make so rather non-racist arguments, which he also did. Lincoln was the first president to invite blacks to the white house, Lincoln met Douglas there, also. Lincoln didn't let his alleged racism blind him to the need to end slavery, like it did to most other white people of his generation.

Same tired old argument about Lincoln the racist. To make a long story short, yes the North was racist, too. So Lincoln had to speak to those people, but he took the strongest stand against slavery that was possible at the time. That's all he could do, and to do it he had to make some rather racist arguments. Yes, he had to make so rather non-racist arguments, which he also did. Lincoln was the first president to invite blacks to the white house, Lincoln met Douglas there, also. Lincoln didn't let his alleged racism blind him to the need to end slavery, like it did to most other white people of his generation.

No comments on whether it was Lincoln's war or not? Nothing to say about the southern civilians that were murdered by Lincoln's troops?

You can not have it both ways. Either the right to leave is absolute, for ANY reason or it requires some action by all members of the Government.

It may sound all nice to claim that if the Government is despotic the States have a right to leave. But the truth is using your logic, they could leave cause the color of the sky today was off blue. That negates the entire concept of a Federal Government that the States ceded certain powers too.

Further, in the case of the Civil War the South had no legit reason to leave. The federal Government was neither despotic or evil. It had not exceeded it's authority under the Constitution in any manner. In fact the Supreme Court bent over backwards violating the Free States rights to protect the Slave States rights.

If and when the Government becomes despotic or Tyranical we will have a Revolution. The Civil War was NOT a revolution.

In fact I do not know of ANY Country that thinks parts of it can just leave when they feel like it.

I agree with most of what you say, but I do think the South had a RIGHT to leave. But I also think Lincoln and the North had just as much right to say no. The north won on the battlefield and were therefore "right."

Do you really think that if the South had won--and they could have, IMO--that anyone would have said the nation of the Confederate States of America was illegal and should have to go back into the USA? I doubt that. Hell, England was going to recognize the South up till Antietam.

War happens. Great. That should be a bumper sticker.

Ignorance happens, too. The WHOLE country went into that war thinking war was a fast thing and of no great consequence. Look how they cheered it at first. Too bad Europe didn't study our Civil War before 1914 instead of being lost in Homer and the glory of war.

I'm just shocked that you could justify the murder of civilians with "war happens," and have the nerve to call Thomas DiLorenzo a kook.

I'm just shocked that you could justify the murder of civilians with "war happens," and have the nerve to call Thomas DiLorenzo a kook.

Do you feel this way about the Trail of Tears? The Gaza civilians? The Japanese in Toyko? Hamburg?

Do you know about the carpetbombing of Cambodia? 500,000 dead civilians?

Dilorenzo is a anarchist, right? One of those anti-government people? That's kookie!

Do you feel this way about the Trail of Tears? The Gaza civilians? The Japanese in Toyko? Hamburg?

Do you know about the carpetbombing of Cambodia? 500,000 dead civilians?

Dilorenzo is a anarchist, right? One of those anti-government people? That's kookie!

I don't condone killing civilians for any reason, regardless of who does it.

DiLorenzo is a Libertarian, and a professor of economics.

Forum List

Back