Lincoln Chafee endorses Barack Obama for POTUS

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Former Republican senator criticizes McCain, supports Obama - Grand Rapids News - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com

"Sen. Obama is the first Democrat I've ever voted for," Chafee said during a stop in Grand Rapids this morning.

He criticized McCain for pandering to the Republican Party's right wing, a strategy he said is dividing the nation and would make it difficult for McCain to govern.

"As he geared up for this 2008 election, it became a different John McCain who was pandering to the base," said Chafee. "That's what McCain is doing: dividing this country."

Chafee, the only Republican who voted against the Iraq war, was defeated for reelection in 2006 and last year declared himself an independent. He called this year's vote "the most important election of my lifetime.

Not a huge surprise but still nice to see.

I love Lincoln Chafee... now THAT's a man of conviction.

I'll trade them one Joe Lieberman for one Lincoln Chafee.

:lol: I agree.

It's going to be tough if he runs for senator again in Rhode Island against Whitehouse because I'll be unsure of whom to vote for.

I don't know much about Whitehouse. But I'm also not sure that Chafee will run as a repub. Will be interesting,to say the least.

Exactly, he's going to run as an independent. So my home state of Rhode Island will have quite the Political race, three candidate one at that.

The problem is that chafee could split the vote and a repub could walk into office... not good.

Very true, or chafee could split the vote and a Democrat could walk into office. Or he could actually win, it will be interesting.

Anyone ever notice that Republicans are called "divisive" for criticizing their enemies, while Democrats are called "bold" for cricizing theirs?

Forum List

Back