Limp?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
my 2 and half yr old blue doberman has a limp...comes and goes...right back paw...i have examined the paw and found nothing...so i think its a stone bruise or strain. he limps when he gets up ....then goes out and runs like there is no tomorrow..we watched him and jake play hard...running and cutting....then then that night the limp was back...we have kept him up for 2 days and the limp is getting better...so i think we should continue to keep him up till the limp is totally gone? any opinions or help here? he is a tall male...he has broken his toe before and continue to play. seems to be one of those dont put a lot of weight on paw....

Hi I am not familiar with dobies, so I goggle it and found one site that said if you can't see any injury to take them to the vet if it continues.

If you find your Doberman is limping, has a growth, a wound that won't heal or any unusual sign, the sooner you get to the vet's office to be examined the better

I then found people discussing Dancing Doberman Disease... and it sounded a bit like what you described:

Dancing Doberman disease? - Doberman Talk Forums

Dancing Doberman Disease- Dog Health

I hope he is okay----wishing you luck and doggie health!!!

he has no growth etc...now bear in mind these dogs have 10 acres to run ...its not the dancing disease....i think its a strain or stone bruise....last time it was a broken toe. plus if he is kept up for a couple of days it gets better then he runs and it comes back....i am thinking of vet at the end of the week.

LOL, you KNOW what I think of everytime I see your thread title on here bones! :badgrin:

PA-Hope your dog is ok!

As one who has been blessed with 4 dobies along the way, I would have the vet check it out -- it may be a sprain -- but, because dobies are so strong and so keen they very often mask pain very well. The limp and then the play and the limp again simply means that your dobie is a dobie -- 110% all the time.
My experience is that they are able to endure a great deal of pain so when a dobie shows pain it is to be taken seriously. If you can keep his activity at a minimum and it improves may just be a bruise or slight sprain but if he limps again I would get him checked out just to be on the safe side.
10 acres -- I am so jealous.

As one who has been blessed with 4 dobies along the way, I would have the vet check it out -- it may be a sprain -- but, because dobies are so strong and so keen they very often mask pain very well. The limp and then the play and the limp again simply means that your dobie is a dobie -- 110% all the time.
My experience is that they are able to endure a great deal of pain so when a dobie shows pain it is to be taken seriously. If you can keep his activity at a minimum and it improves may just be a bruise or slight sprain but if he limps again I would get him checked out just to be on the safe side.
10 acres -- I am so jealous.

i am in the middle of car hell...car broke and finding parts has been a devil....
but they are all in hand and going to mechanic today. he is not limping today....i dont think its hip dysplasia since i was real careful to stop feeding high proteins at 6 months. He did grow fast..he is at the top of the standards for height and weight. My last dobie...was a rescue who had been serverly starved and beaten...at 6 months he was found ..weighted 30 lbs with all kinds of mange..he licked the vets hand when she was going to put him down and she couldnt do it. she donated an bottle of some stuff they put on cattle to cure the mange....my hubby and i were on our way out of town when i read the article looking for a home for him...hubby pulled over at a pay phone (yes those things before cells) and we called the rescue people...i brought him home in less than 2 weeks...he was with us for 12 years before the effects of his hard puppy life came back..they had warned me it would...joint problems..we treated him for that and he had a good life...he was such a class act...great dog....o sorry ..get me started on my dobies...i can go forever lol....

but i think we are looking at a bad sprain ...hopefully i will get my damned car back today.....and off to the vet we will go

Forum List

Back