Limbaugh signs $400M contract

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
LIMBAUGH SIGNS THROUGH 2016; $400 MILLION DEAL SHATTERS BROADCAST RECORDS

Wed Jul 02 2008 09:02:18 ET
**Exclusive**

The American broadcast industry is rocked, realigned and blasted into a new orbit, yet again, by Rush Limbaugh, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

In what is being described as an unprecedented radio contract, Limbaugh will keep his syndicated show on-the-air and e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e through 2016 with CLEAR CHANNEL and PREMIERE RADIO.

Already host of the most lucrative hours since radio's inception, Limbaugh's total package is valued north of $400 million, according to media insiders.

The NEW YORK TIMES will claim this weekend that Limbaugh, marking 20 years this summer as a national host, has secured a 9-figure signing bonus for the new deal, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

MORE

In its controversial profile, the TIMES reports that Limbaugh is buying a new G550 jet and is making an estimated $38 million a year.

[The cover photo of the TIMES Sunday magazine depicts Limbaugh 'dark and sinister' in a theme of THE GODFATHER.]

While newspapers and traditional broadcast media are experiencing declining revenues, Limbaugh's golden microphone has turned diamond-laced:

Earnings now pace him ahead of the annual salaries for network news anchors: Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer — combined!

MORE

The deal represents a stunning triumph over the establishment by an outsider who connected with and captured the spirit of the nation's heartland.

Developing...

DRUDGE REPORT 2008®

Good for him. At 38 million a year salary, he has to be one of the highest salaried workers in the country. I don't think top fortune 500 ceo's get salaries that high.

i was curious on that one CC

Big Paychecks - Forbes.com

he chief executives of America's 500 biggest companies got a collective 38% pay raise last year, to $7.5 billion. That's an average $15.2 million apiece. Exercised stock options again account for the main component of pay, 48%. The average stock gain was $7.3 million.

The highest-paid boss of the 500 companies we tracked: Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) chief Steve Jobs. He drew a nominal $1 salary but realized $647 million from vested restricted stock last year.

The next four top-paid chief executives also earned most of their pay from exercised stock options: Ray Irani of Occidental Petroleum (nyse: OXY - news - people ) ($322 million total pay), Barry Diller of IAC/Interactive Corp (nasdaq: IACI - news - people ) ($295 million), William P. Foley of Fidelity National Financial (nyse: FNF - news - people ) ($180 million), and Terry Semel of Yahoo! (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people ) ($174 million).

Good for Rush. He works hard, and obviously he has a huge audience. People think conservatives are a minority...but they're wrrrroooonnnngggg.

good for rush. Like any entertainer, he found his niche. Dont like it? Dont listen to him.

and I happen to think he is a Sebaceous gland on the ass of our society but, hey, fuckit. it's not my money paying his salary.

I wish somebody would pay me a hundred quadrillion for my opinion on things.

no shit.

I could stir up all kinds of shit on the radio too, dammit.

If that's straight income you know he's sending about half that $400 million to Uncle Sam...basically the same as if you won the lottery...the government is your sticky-fingered "partner" in everything you make...

man, if they offered me that 400 mill i knew the gov was going to get half.

i'd just tell em no thanks.

seriously.:badgrin:

If that's straight income you know he's sending about half that $400 million to Uncle Sam...basically the same as if you won the lottery...the government is your sticky-fingered "partner" in everything you make...

Yeah, right.. like Rush Limbough doesn't even know an accountant.

The top rate is 35%. Nobody who isn't in a coma pays it.

That's hardly his entire income anyway.

Books, endorsements, speeches? The man probably makes $100 M a year.

He pays a lot of taxes though, I'll give him that.

How will be live then? A mere $20MM a year.

He's domiciled here in Florida however. We don't pay much tax down here.

I don't think the moral majority is much of a majority. but they play rush all over the country, but only because clearchannel won't put randi rhodes against him.

at least not in every market. where they go head to head, she beats him. actually, its two dif markets. so even when the station is losing money, they keep the show on anyways because it is a propoganda tool.

most of my independent friends don't want to listen. that's the only reason bush and chaney aren't impeached not enough dems are as passionate as rush's loud but little army.

things will come out about bush regime. I can't wait to hear rush's spin on it. stay tuned.

and if its a liberal media, you'd think thom hartmann, ed schultz or randi rhodes would get equal time. and doesn't this sorta prove the gop represents corporations? rush is a propogand tool for the gop. who pays the bills? coporations. advertisers. clear channel owns everything.

get the feeling were being brainwashed? rush's rating don't warrant $400 mill. the vehicle to spin the conversation must be priceless.

Forum List

Back