"Like" syndrome

Bones

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
You have no idea how much the overuse of the word "like" (to fill in empty space) irritates me; it rubs my skin raw with a cheese grater, sprinkles salt on the open laceration and then, lastly, squeezes a lemon on top of it. I soooo, like, want to strangle, like, anyone who, like, says like, like, every five seconds, like, after every other word. Like, immediately.

For the love of all that is unholy, stick a dick in your mouth; chew on some gum; anything besides opening your sewer flaps and spewing out repetitive turd after turd.

When did this infuriating fad begin? How did this happen!?

It's a kind of kneejerk mitigation of a statement and an affectation of one's coolness, too

"I was terrified" is a stronger statement of fact than: I was like...terrified.

People who use this convention are generally suffering from HIPititous.

1. Every third word used in the LA and Orange County in Southern California

Like what time is it? Like I have no clue.

2. In the UK we call this a comma. Used mostly to introduce a qoute, it is also used randomly by irritating teenagers and people who dropped out of school or have never read a book above the literary standard of Guns 'n' Ammo. It can be exchanged with a number of other phrases, including I was all.

Like, oh my God, that is, like, so wrong.

3. Around the DC area, it's used to end a sentence or comment.

say your comment or question and then add "like" in the end of it.

Why he got on so many colors like...?

Another affectation is the replacement of the GO to mean SAID.

She shes goes, "bla bla bla" and I go, like " Oh yeah?!"

Ah - I'm not alone in, like, my irritation over the use of, like, "like."

I knew this was going to be a good year:

Jan 1 - big smile, pouring rain;
Jan 2 - "like" irritates others - yes, I think it's going to be a good year.

"Like" is far less irritating than constantly hearing "these ones" and "those ones". :evil:

That's like, totally tubular. Tripendicular!

Gnomesayin'?

:lol: My youngest daughter was into Valspeak - just HAD to go see the movie "Valley Girls." When I picked her up after the movie, she dove into the back seat floorboard of the car and yelled, "GO! GO! I can't let any of my friends see me here!" That was the end of Valspeak in my house!

Like? That's so yesterday. Legitimately is the new 'it' word. My oldest uses it whay more than I'd prefer. She's like, legitimately getting on my nerves.

You have no idea how much the overuse of the word "like" (to fill in empty space) irritates me; it rubs my skin raw with a cheese grater, sprinkles salt on the open laceration and then, lastly, squeezes a lemon on top of it. I soooo, like, want to strangle, like, anyone who, like, says like, like, every five seconds, like, after every other word. Like, immediately.

For the love of all that is unholy, stick a dick in your mouth; chew on some gum; anything besides opening your sewer flaps and spewing out repetitive turd after turd.

When did this infuriating fad begin? How did this happen!?

There's a clue in Editec's answer:
It's a kind of kneejerk mitigation of a statement and an affectation of one's coolness, too

"I was terrified" is a stronger statement of fact than: I was like...terrified.

<SNIP>

It originally came about as a briefer form of "as if" as in "It was as if I was terrified." Also like is very flexible in its forms which include use as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, preposition, particle, conjunction, hedge, interjection, and as a quotative.

I remember fifty years back being taught in my high school english class that it was bad form, (much as "If I would have done this or that" instead of "If I had done this or that") but apparently it caught on as a cliché.

Last edited:
Dude? Like, I got no idea what you are talking about, dude. Know what I'm sayin'?

As if! Did you not like never go to school? Never use "like" for "as"

Forum List

Back