Likability??? -LBJ, Nixon

Nixon was misunderstood.

Was a good-loser in the bitter loss to JFK in 1960,

Gave an awesome acceptence speech at theGOP convetion in 1968.

Had a close win against HHH.

So heprobably wouldhave lost gainst LBJ (had he run ) or RFK (had he lived)

Did have a slam dunk-reelection in 1972.

LBJ was likable? Say it again, and Im making another gay joke, you seriously believe LBJ was likable? The only possible reason why is because he was married to Medusa

Yeah..he was.

He was a big populist that was well liked by southern blacks and whites.

Neat trick..really.

NEver came across as liable to me, To me he always came across as kind of a dick you thought he should be President and not Kennedy....just an opinion....

He was never one of my faves..and because of his escalation of the Vietnam war..I hold he was one of America's worst Presidents.

That's not to say, he didn't do good. But the war really buries his record.

It was LBJ who escaleted the war - Nixon tried to end it.................

Likability is overrated.

Nobody in their right minds would call LBJ or Nixon "likable."

Yet both won landslide wins for re-election.

Competence is more important than likabilty in most cases - except when it comes to Obama.

So WTF cares is Obama is more "likable" than Romney. (who btw I think Romney is sort of a genial person anyway)

Agreed. Bush won the "likability" vote over the very wooden Gore. Consequently, the nation paid dearly. The Bush White House was more worried about underwear and shampoo bombers rather than the derivatives market and the housing bubble. Greenspan was pressured to hold rates at 50 year lows for way too long. The Bush White House used easy money to dump kerosene on the housing market so they could stimulate the economy and thereby get past Kerry and keep the public from turning 100% against the war. The result was the loss of the housing and financial sectors LONG TERM. Trillions of dollars were burned in the Bush meltdown. The game is over.

But yes, the OP is right. People thought Bush was a better guy to have a beer with . . . and we paid a terrible, terrible price.

(So yes, the OP is 100% right. Likability is meaningless. Problem with this year's challenger is that he's not likable or competent.)

Last edited:

So he could go into Cambodia

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakLUusNlXc]Kent State Shootings - Ohio - Neil Young (1970) - YouTube[/ame]

Didn't have a problem with at the time - Nixon was trying to clean up LBJs mess which he inherited

So he could go into Cambodia

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakLUusNlXc"]Kent State Shootings - Ohio - Neil Young (1970) - YouTube[/ame]

There are lessons from that. My dad was a professor at Ohio State at the time and they had the National Guard all over the place and thought something was gonna happen there. Once Kent State happened, protests kinda went away......which I love..but it's horrible what happened at Kent State.....awful awful.....

Likability is overrated.

Competence is more important than likabilty in most cases - except when it comes to Obama.

So WTF cares is Obama is more "likable" than Romney. (who btw I think Romney is sort of a genial person anyway)

I like how there are so many ways republicans can calm their fears by pretending Obama is going to lose. The best the polls have done is to show Romney and obama on equal ground. Far from a landslide on either side.

At any rate, does this really take away your fears of obama getting elected? You sound like a kid trying to convince themselves the boogie man isn't in the closet. You know if you are having trouble sleeping NyQuil now has a product called ZzzzzQuil. It is basically some bendryl and some alcohol and would probably help you sleep more soundly.

Likability is overrated.

I like how there are so many ways republicans can calm their fears by pretending Obama is going to lose. The best the polls have done is to show Romney and obama on equal ground. Far from a landslide on either side.

At any rate, does this really take away your fears of obama getting elected? You sound like a kid trying to convince themselves the boogie man isn't in the closet. You know if you are having trouble sleeping NyQuil now has a product called ZzzzzQuil. It is basically some bendryl and some alcohol and would probably help you sleep more soundly.

Well maybe I'm not most republicans, but I'll put my 2 cents in.....Polls mean nothing at this stage, no conventions, no VP from Romney and no debates, they're utterly meanlingless

Poll Shows Dukakis Leads Bush; Many Reagan Backers Shift Sides - New York Times
New Polls Show Bush Shaves Dukakis Lead - NYTimes.com
BREAKING (Gallup): Dukakis takes 17 point lead over George Bush!

Gallup Poll, March 24, 1983: Mondale 47%, Reagan 41% - Democratic Underground

Now some people are waaay too partisan, check out this statement:
Davis_X_Machina
donor.gif
(1000+ posts) Sun Jul-11-10 12:35 AM
Response to Original message
1. Note that's 1983, not 1984. Mondale, Reagan...
103928.gif
...Presidential elections and the economy.
....not only that Reagan's victory was exactly in line with the economic variables, but also that once all the objective variables are tossed in that Reagan actually slightly underperformed​

....not only that Reagan's victory was exactly in line with the economic variables, but also that once all the objective variables are tossed in that Reagan actually slightly underperformed

Huh???????????????

The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search

LBJ was very likable.

He would have won had he ran again.

Nixon? Not so much. But he did a great job of destroying his opponents.

LBJ was likable? Say it again, and Im making another gay joke, you seriously believe LBJ was likable? The only possible reason why is because he was married to Medusa

Yeah..he was.

He was a big populist that was well liked by southern blacks and whites.

Neat trick..really.

It was a different time when the majority of people actually cared about all of American and all Americans.

Likability is overrated.

Agreed. Bush won the "likability" vote over the very wooden Gore. Consequently, the nation paid dearly. The Bush White House was more worried about underwear and shampoo bombers rather than the derivatives market and the housing bubble. Greenspan was pressured to hold rates at 50 year lows for way too long. The Bush White House used easy money to dump kerosene on the housing market so they could stimulate the economy and thereby get past Kerry and keep the public from turning 100% against the war. The result was the loss of the housing and financial sectors LONG TERM. Trillions of dollars were burned in the Bush meltdown. The game is over.

But yes, the OP is right. People thought Bush was a better guy to have a beer with . . . and we paid a terrible, terrible price.

(So yes, the OP is 100% right. Likability is meaningless. Problem with this year's challenger is that he's not likable or competent.)

Likability ought to be meaningless, but it certainly is a determining factor. That's politics. Yeah, Gore and Kerry were lightyears ahead of Bush on ideas and understanding of policy, but people identified with this fratboy. It pissed me off that the determinants in those elections was based on who you'd rather have a beer with. But here's a win-win. Obama has the charisma that most people can relate, and Romney is coming off like a broomstick up his ass, elitist. I mean, he has friends who owns NASCAR teams? His wife wrote off a horse for $72,000 when the middle class is only writing off $1,000 for their kids.

Last edited:
A good reason to go out on a date.

Not necessarily the most important factor in choosing the person to head the most poerful nation on earth.

Nixon must have done something right.

Cast my first voteforin 1972 -when I was draft eligible.

Nixon must have done something right.

Cast my first voteforin 1972 -when I was draft eligible.

No, Nixon didn't do something right in so much as teh Democrats did just about everything wrong.

Letting the hippies take over the party. One Democratic stalwart called it "Acid, Abortion and Amnesty". He then picked Thomas Eagleton to be his veep, and it was immediately revealed the guy had spent time in a mental hospital. (Eagleton ironically was the one who came up wit the "Acid Abortion and Amnesty" quote, but it wasn't revealed until after he died in 2007.)

You then had crap like turning away the IL Delegation led by Richard J. Daley and replacing it with a more radical one led by Jesse Jackson.

Also, Nixon (again) promised he would end the war, which Americans opposed. His 'secret plan' supposedly would end it quickly.
Herr Doktor Kissenger (another war criminal) was having talks with 'the enemy', and the electorate was fooled into thinking they would upset things by changing horses. All this was not helped by a Democratic Party that clearly had no idea what to do about very much.
Anyway, likeability didn't play in the election for Nixon. It was a much more grim decision.

Also, Nixon (again) promised he would end the war, which Americans opposed. His 'secret plan' supposedly would end it quickly.
Herr Doktor Kissenger (another war criminal) was having talks with 'the enemy', and the electorate was fooled into thinking they would upset things by changing horses. All this was not helped by a Democratic Party that clearly had no idea what to do about very much.
Anyway, likeability didn't play in the election for Nixon. It was a much more grim decision.

Most Americans wanted the war to end, but most Americans didn't want it to end in an American defeat.

So Nixon got the best peace deal he could, one Democrats immediately sabotaged by cutting off the Saigon regime at the knees.

The Saigon régime was a government by little militarists that took over in a coup d'état and had no more legitimacy than the North Vietnamese. But it was always a Vietnamese problem, and not for Americans or any outsiders to resolve.

A war that was not a war, and could only be lost since there was no winning.

Last edited:
Both escalated.
Nixon invaded two neutral countries, bombed civilian populations and used chemical warfare. Nice image of America for foreign nations to remember us by, eh?

Forum List

Back