Lifetime Fitness gym chain bans cable news channels from its gyms for better health

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Life Time Fitness bans cable news from its TVs

WASHINGTON - New year, new you! It’s how the saying goes. At Life Time Fitness, it’s a whole new policy. The company has decided to turn off cable news. No more CNN, Fox News, MSNBC or CNBC.

Life Time would not go on camera, but sent FOX 5 the following statement about the change:

“We made the decision to remove cable news channels from the large TV screens in the cardio and fitness floor areas at the start of 2018. This was based on many member requests received over time across the country, and in keeping with our overall healthy way of life philosophy and commitment to provide family oriented environments free of consistently negative or politically charged content. Local news station affiliates are still on our large screens and we have Wi-Fi throughout our clubs so members can view the content of their choice on their own devices.

“Ultimately, it always is our goal to meet the vast majority of members’ expressed requests and we believe this change is consistent with the desires of the overall membership as well as our desire to uphold a positive, family oriented, healthy way of life environment.”

Customers will still get other channels such as USA, A&E, Discovery, HGTV, ESPN and local news...

I don't watch cable TV news anyway, but I do listen to news radio when I'm driving and not in the mood to listen to music. I'm actually currently under a free subscription of Sirius that is going to run out this month. I won't be renewing. It's a nice free service, but it's not something I'd pay for.

But I have no interest in watching or listening to the news if I'm working out. I can see how this could be positive for some people:

Solid idea. Given how divisive politics are in this country right now, it's a horrible idea to have political arguments potentially stirring up in a room full of heavy objects and strength trainers whose hormones are pumping from working out.

Life Time Fitness bans cable news from its TVs

WASHINGTON - New year, new you! It’s how the saying goes. At Life Time Fitness, it’s a whole new policy. The company has decided to turn off cable news. No more CNN, Fox News, MSNBC or CNBC.

Life Time would not go on camera, but sent FOX 5 the following statement about the change:

“We made the decision to remove cable news channels from the large TV screens in the cardio and fitness floor areas at the start of 2018. This was based on many member requests received over time across the country, and in keeping with our overall healthy way of life philosophy and commitment to provide family oriented environments free of consistently negative or politically charged content. Local news station affiliates are still on our large screens and we have Wi-Fi throughout our clubs so members can view the content of their choice on their own devices.

“Ultimately, it always is our goal to meet the vast majority of members’ expressed requests and we believe this change is consistent with the desires of the overall membership as well as our desire to uphold a positive, family oriented, healthy way of life environment.”

Customers will still get other channels such as USA, A&E, Discovery, HGTV, ESPN and local news...

I don't watch cable TV news anyway, but I do listen to news radio when I'm driving and not in the mood to listen to music. I'm actually currently under a free subscription of Sirius that is going to run out this month. I won't be renewing. It's a nice free service, but it's not something I'd pay for.

But I have no interest in watching or listening to the news if I'm working out. I can see how this could be positive for some people:

Interesting AsianTrumpSupporter!

Maybe the gyms should televise documentaries
explaining how high sugar drinks are a danger to your health
but marijuana is harmless and nonaddictive.

As a public health service announcement,
brought to you by local neighbhorhood liberals
and pot dealers.

Forum List

Back