LIFE..... What's the Point of It?

How about this way ? Everything that is labled as good or bad was done so by people who aren't really sure what the hell they are doing. It's a "system" invented by man to make some sense out of it all. I guess we have a instinctual drive to survive but past that there is no purpose.

My apologies if I seemed to be deriding your theory, dillo. I had just never quite seen it put in those words before.

It would seem that your belief is that all philosophy/religion/spirituality is bunk simply because none of it can be proven to be correct during our lifetime in this world. Can I then assume that you also do not believe in any sort of afterlife? Again, I'm not judging, just trying to make sure I understand your point of view.

no worries---I have no clue about any after life. Might be there or might not but I'm pretty sure of one thing. This thing we call ourselves is not eternal. If some great discovery relating to control or traveling in time comes around I may change my mind but until then I think we're all just filling time and playing games that we take too seriously.

One of the great questions of all time..... What is the Point of Life? Why are We Here? What is Our Purpose?

Well, what say you?

The purpose of life is to find happiness, but you have to know where to look.

farside_happiness.jpg

Of course. The Golden Rule is a pretty good way to live.

So I hear. Hasn't really worked out too well for me personally in the past, but if it works for you, Great.

no worries---I have no clue about any after life. Might be there or might not but I'm pretty sure of one thing. This thing we call ourselves is not eternal. If some great discovery relating to control or traveling in time comes around I may change my mind but until then I think we're all just filling time and playing games that we take too seriously.

Ok. That's definitely an interesting take on things. Thanks for the insight and input.

The purpose of life is to find happiness, but you have to know where to look.

I don't think we have any of those stores in my neck of the woods. :lol:

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said it best...

A Psalm of Life

Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou are, to dust thou returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each tomorrow
Find us farther than today.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act, - act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God o'erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sand of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solenm main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us then be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

Of course. The Golden Rule is a pretty good way to live.

So I hear. Hasn't really worked out too well for me personally in the past, but if it works for you, Great.
It has indeed. The problem comes when people seek to control the behavior of other people.

You're going to be disappointed. Guaranteed. But if you recognize that you're responsible only for your own behavior, and recognize that others will do as they will, you'll be much happier. Note that means you can't blame other people for what happens in your life.

Why would anyone want to give that much power over their lives to others?

My purpose is to amuse myself endlessly by reading Liberal "thoughts" posted at USMB.

It has indeed. The problem comes when people seek to control the behavior of other people.

You're going to be disappointed. Guaranteed. But if you recognize that you're responsible only for your own behavior, and recognize that others will do as they will, you'll be much happier. Note that means you can't blame other people for what happens in your life.

Why would anyone want to give that much power over their lives to others?

I'm not a big believer that Happiness is the be-all and end-all of Life either, dave. It definitely doesn't seem to be a very common thing in the world these days.

As for blaming others... while we all have a lot of control over out lives, we do not have control of everything in that life. Quite often people and things outside of our own control do have major influences on our own lives.

To think.

Its what makes humans different than other animals.

Man thinks.

So its our purpose.

No one designed it as such its just the fact of our exsistance

The purpose of life depends on your view of the afterlife, if you have one. In most religions the purpose is sort out the chaff yet there is also that aspect of everything being pre-ordained, like if God knows what is going to happen then there is no choice and no real purpose is there? Yet if there is choice, there is a purpose. Other religions indicate that the purpose of life is just a level in the never ending cycle of creation and death.

For my belief is that God created the earth as a garden to grow and populate heaven with those of us who worship him and seek to follow his rules. For if there is only one God it must be a lonely thing and therefore he created us as his family.

Last edited:
The true purpose of life is to believe you are more special than others and to put yourself in a position to purchase with your sweat and good credit as much useless stuff as you can so someone else can have even MORE stuff that they can't take with them when they die. Indigenous people out in the most remote corners of the planet are totally missing out on the true purpose of life. They never get the pleasure of playing this big joke on the rich. Stupid fuckers!

Forum List

Back