Life sucks right now?

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
Just curious how your life's effected right now, as opposed to ever before(that's important), as a result of Government. I'm interested in people's stories. Please, share! :razz:

I'll start with mine. I work for a Major Corporation. My taxes this year have gone down; however, the Corporation is on a Hiring Freeze and post-poned this year's 3% annual raise. As far as how the Company's doing? It's growing, and doing well. It goes on TV to boast, even as employees live through their "freeze."

I'm by no-means struggling. I guess gas-prices have been fluctuating since I was in High-School, when it was like under a dollar a gallon. My costs of living haven't really gone anywhere, things seem relatively the same as far as how much I spend on groceries, clothes, etc.

I guess, overall, I'm like.....3% effected, if you know what I mean, and that's IF the recession was Government caused.

As crazy as this sounds, especially coming from me.
I don't blame much on the goobermint.
I blame it on the assholes that continue to vote these clowns into office and try to live like a movie star on a plumbers salary.
murkins

As crazy as this sounds, especially coming from me.
I don't blame much on the goobermint.
I blame it on the assholes that continue to vote these clowns into office and try to live like a movie star on a plumbers salary.
murkins

I feel you, I'm just trying to get a pulse on crying wolf vs. reality. Like FEMA death camps, death panels and reeducation camps, vs. "today, I went to work, took a shit with the newspaper, came home, had dinner, exercised, saw a movie, hit the sack."

Doing great. Recieved a 25% Profit Sharing check for the last quarter. A small merit raise, the fourth in five years. Still getting more overtime than I want. Property values for the small properties that I own have turned around and are going back up. Even at their lowest, still had more than 40% equity, now up to 50%.

The area that I plan to retire to, still has declining property values. Good for me, but I do feel for the people there.

While I am doing well, there are people that I know from every income level that are truly hurting. Some have pretty much lost their savings in this economic debacle. Some are still holding on to property that is under water, simply because that they cannot afford to do otherwise. And are just one paycheck from disaster. Those of us that have been lucky this time should be understanding what these people are going through, not looking down on them for the bad luck of working for the wrong company.

Apart from the draft breathing down my neck and fucking up my life during the Vietnam fiasco, government impact on my day-to-day life has been minimal at best regardless of who or what has been in power.

Of course, there is the issue of taxes but if you want to live in the best country on earth, it's going to cost you a few bucks. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Im headed to the beach house again today and wont be back for a week, so my life is pretty great.

I feel for all the people whos lives are messed up by this economic fiasco.

Im doing pretty damned good though.

When you elect an idiot like Bush you have to expect a total clusterfuck to be created.

I love how after eight years of an idiot at the top people think Obama was supposed to FIX EVERYTHING in a year and a half, many things are much better now than Bush left them and I hope the people wake up and give the dems some credit for what they have accomplished.

They seem to forget Bush took budget surpluses and turned them into economic disaster and huge deficit coupled with a huge mess of mine collapses, oil rig explosions, and unpaid for wars and that Obama and the dems have fixed so many of these problems and the economy is starting to respond.

I did better under Bush but my wealth is still going up. Palin would be best for my wallet cause I'm in oil. once I hit a mill I stopped worrying about it.

"As opposed to ever before". In terms of government, politics and the ethos of the day - at least as represented by what I call the RW Fringe - life could be much better. In terms of my life, things are very good.
I wonder though about a future, the life my kids and theirs will live, if the greed, intolerance, hate and fear of the fringe becomes dominant. If the 'fear' of government blinds us to the dangers of unfetted corporate power. We can change the government every two years, we have no control over the board rooms and the power inherent in enormous wealth.
Citizens United v. FEC maybe the greatest threat to our liberty - greater than any foreign power or terrorist organization.

I did better under Bush but my wealth is still going up. Palin would be best for my wallet cause I'm in oil. once I hit a mill I stopped worrying about it.

The first mil's the toughest.

I'll prob never make it to two as I'll retire before 55, so for me it's the first 100k was the toughest. That took forever then they just started clicking.

I'm living within my means and still looking for opportunity to expand. It's hard to get a baseline for projections when there is so much uncertainty about the future costs though. An imminent tax rate increase isn't helping things, but that's mostly bad for the people who I can't hire right now because we haven't figured out what our fixed costs are actually going to be.

During this whole meltdown we've been innovating at grabbing market share away from our customers. Of course now that's looking futile since another bailout for a bank-owned competitor is on the way. Way to reward failure folks! :eusa_eh:

I'll prob never make it to two as I'll retire before 55, so for me it's the first 100k was the toughest. That took forever then they just started clicking.

If you've got so much money why aren't you being patriotic and putting people back to work with it?

I'm living within my means and still looking for opportunity to expand. It's hard to get a baseline for projections when there is so much uncertainty about the future costs though. An imminent tax rate increase isn't helping things, but that's mostly bad for the people who I can't hire right now because we haven't figured out what our fixed costs are actually going to be.

During this whole meltdown we've been innovating at grabbing market share away from our customers. Of course now that's looking futile since another bailout for a bank-owned competitor is on the way. Way to reward failure folks! :eusa_eh:

Unless you own a time machine or are clairvoyant, there is always uncertainty about the future.

About the only thing you can predict about the future is that it isn't here yet.

If you've got so much money why aren't you being patriotic and putting people back to work with it?

I've got that whole mill in stocks, it's called capitalism. Guess where the capital to put people to work comes from. A million is also far from rich by the way, I can't afford a decent house in Cali where the wife wants to move. In Louisiana it goes twice as far.

Unless you own a time machine or are clairvoyant, there is always uncertainty about the future.

Read my comment again. There's a lot more uncertainty now.

About the only thing you can predict about the future is that it isn't here yet.

Last year I could predict my fixed and variable costs for this year at different profit levels using various methods. This year that's nearly impossible right now since the tax code hasn't implemented recent changes that will take effect in 5 months.

I've got that whole mill in stocks, it's called capitalism. Guess where the capital to put people to work comes from. A million is also far from rich by the way, I can't afford a decent house in Cali where the wife wants to move. In Louisiana it goes twice as far.

So you agree that investment creates jobs? At least as far as your own money is concerned?

I've had to actually offload some of my consulting work to an associate because I am so busy. However, my oilfield clients are taking a big hit and I suspect I will be impacted in the 3Q by the downturn in offshore stuff. I've noticed a lot of vacant office space in Houma and Lafayette.

Read my comment again. There's a lot more uncertainty now.

Last year I could predict my fixed and variable costs for this year at different profit levels using various methods. This year that's nearly impossible right now since the tax code hasn't implemented recent changes that will take effect in 5 months.

Then factor that uncertainty into your projections.

And if changes in the tax code are standing between you and success, then you're probably already in failure mode and should maybe pull the plug before it's too late.

Let's see

The Fucking State is auditing me to see if i paid my unemployment taxes. Which in fact I overpaid last year and was sent a refund. And now I have to pay my accountant to sit with the fucking tax idiot

Workman's comp has just gone up for the third year in a row even though we have never had a claim

The State has a roving band of asshole inspectors looking to hand out 1000 dollar fines for every bottle of glass cleaner that's not labeled correctly

Permit fees have doubled

DEA licensing has gone up

Fees at the transfer station have gone up

Building permit fees have gone up and it takes the fucking inspector 3 weeks to show up and sign off on a permit which fucks every other job time-line up

So in short the fucking government has raised prices, hired a shitload of idiots and the service sucks even more than it used to.

Forum List

Back