Life or Death and the Healthcare Bill

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Politics is hardball.

It has been called a 'bloodsport.'

I understand it, and, for the most part, I accept it.

Even the destruction of reputations that we have all seen.

But shouldn't we draw the line at the security of the nation?

"...[Senator] Nelson's demand that taxpayer money not be used to fund abortion has still not been met. According to a Senate aide, the White House is now threatening to put Nebraska's Offutt Air Force Base on the BRAC list if Nelson doesn't fall into line.

Offutt Air Force Base employs some 10,000 military and federal employees in Southeastern Nebraska. As our source put it, this is a "naked effort by Rahm Emanuel and the White House to extort Nelson's vote." They are "threatening to close a base vital to national security for what?" asked the Senate staffer.

Indeed, Offutt is the headquarters for US Strategic Command, the successor to Strategic Air Command, and not by accident. STRATCOM was located in the middle of the country for strategic reasons. Its closure would be a massive blow to the economy of the state of Nebraska, but it would also be another example of this administration playing politics with our national security."

The Weekly Standard

Last edited:
Politics is hardball.

It has been called a 'bloodsport.'

I understand it, and, for the most part, I accept it.

Even the destruction of reputations that we have all see.

But shouldn't we draw the line at the security of the nation?

"...[Senator] Nelson's demand that taxpayer money not be used to fund abortion has still not been met. According to a Senate aide, the White House is now threatening to put Nebraska's Offutt Air Force Base on the BRAC list if Nelson doesn't fall into line.

Offutt Air Force Base employs some 10,000 military and federal employees in Southeastern Nebraska. As our source put it, this is a "naked effort by Rahm Emanuel and the White House to extort Nelson's vote." They are "threatening to close a base vital to national security for what?" asked the Senate staffer.

Indeed, Offutt is the headquarters for US Strategic Command, the successor to Strategic Air Command, and not by accident. STRATCOM was located in the middle of the country for strategic reasons. Its closure would be a massive blow to the economy of the state of Nebraska, but it would also be another example of this administration playing politics with our national security."

The Weekly Standard

I like this tactic and it should have the support of all "conservatives". After all, we certainly wouldn't want the Federal government (USAF) propping up a state's economy, now would we?

PC your thread needs a better title.

How about...

More Chicago style politics
Obama threatens Senator Nelson.

Bribe, or threat....it's politics, and it is Chicago style of politics.
Too bad the bill can't pass on it's own merits, but needs, umm..."encouragement" to pass.
The vast majority (old rocks term) of Americans are against the bill to begin with, and that should really be the focus on this bill. The Senators, and Congressmen still do answer to their constituents, so this is where the problem lies.
Perhaps a horse head in Nelson's bed would drive the message home. just sayin...

Last edited:
Would this be considered blackmail or extortion?

I always get those to confused.

Last edited:
Now how the hell did that happen? Probably operator error. I do apologize to Political Chic as this was completely unintended by me.

OR you could have quoted, and taken a lot of time doing it, while PC was busy editing out a sarcastic comment she decided did not contribute to her main point, which was apparently that no one should be surprised that big O uses mobster style political tactics.

Forum List

Back