Life as we know it is about to be destroyed

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Dogger, May 15, 2008.

1. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you believe the far right, permitting gay marriage will destroy the very fabric of society, leading to a host of horrific consequences up to and including (or maybe not) man on dog sex. It's all very retro, and reminiscent of the days when equally appalling predictions were made for interracial marriage.

Brace yourselves. The California Supreme Court has overturned the state's gay marriage ban.

Despite all of the apocalyptical predictions, I believe a year from now people will be scratching their heads and wondering what all of the fuss was about. History does repeat itself. Again, and again, and again.

See, RGS’s Head Explodes!

2. TopGunna

TopGunna Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah, I have no idea why people care if the state recognizes these partnerships or not. If you're a member of a conservative church, these gay marriages aren't going to take place there anyway.

As a heterosexual male of average attractiveness, I only see gay marriage as a good thing for my prospects. (I'm going to generalize here) but if you remove the best looking men (gays) and least attractive females (some lesbians) from the hetero-pool, advantage me! :rofl:

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    You will need to do more research dipstick. I am opposed to same sex marriage but not same sex unions. I am also opposed to COURTS thwarting the will of the people by illegally legislating from the Bench.

My position is that the US should get rid of Government marriage completely. In order to ensure the Constitution is not violated and to allow some states to allow same sex marriages and some not to, while ensuring that the requirement that all LEGAL acts of one State are recognized in another, Marriage should be an act performed by religious or non religious groups as they please. A Civil Union should be what the Government recognizes. This would ensure that if a couple States want same sex "marriages" and others do not that there is no attempt by idiots in Congress to claim One State can ignore another States legal acts.

The Religious would still be able to have their marriages in the Churches of their choice while denying the same to those types of couples they want. While the State would simple have to recognize Unions as legal and binding.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,380
    Didn't the people of California vote NO on gay marriage? Nice democracy in that state that had judges overturn the people's vote on the recent referendum.

5. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    That makes a great deal of sense to me. There's already a degree of disconnect between legal and religious marriages; it'd be neater to stop pretending that they're the same. However, -

- I highly doubt The Religious would be satisfied with this, any more than "gay rights" advocates are satisfied with legal but non-"marriage" unions now. Each group wants both pieces - the legal standing of "union" and the social/cultural standing of "marriage."

I agree with your solution, though; neither group gets all they want but both get what is really proper to them. And for the average fairly religious hetro couple, nothing really changes; they still have a church ceremony and also have to get a legal certificate, just like now.

But I promise you'll hear proclamations of the apocalypse if anyone tries to take "marriage" out of law, no matter how sensible the change is. It may well be easier to institute full-blown gay marriage, even with the accompanying maelstrom. Objectors to the later see it as adding to an institution something they don't think belongs there; they would see the former as a sweeping and fundemental devaluation of religious marriage, kicking it out of the shrine of law and thus making it less "real."

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You believe wrong, and your left-wing spin comparing gay marriage to interracial marriage is intellectually dishonest. Race is defined factually by genetics. Aberrant sexual behavior is defined only by the behavior.

Rather than give equal rights under the law; which, gays already have, a ruling specifically for a group defined solely by its behavior gives that group unequal rights under the law.

Despite your attempt to paint those who oppose gay marriage as fearmongering alarmists, the truth is more along the lines of opposing special laws that cater solely to minorities and their idiosyncracies and/or legislating from the bench to circumvent and usurp the power of the legislature and the will of the majority.

If you want to talk apocalyptic, I'd say when we're so fucked up in the head that the aberrant minority can always find a court that will allow it to enforce its will on the majority, that something is DEFINTELY ass-backward arond here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Once again we need to take off our hats to the founding mothers and fathers of this nation, minorities have equal protection under the law.

8. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    If I am born a certain race, what is different than if I am born straight or gay. There is no proof that being gay is not a factor of genetics, so your right wing spin my be just a intellectually dishonest.

I believe the original statementis referring to some of those on the right who are actually stating that this will lead to the dissolution of normal marriage, was made with some sarcasm in mind.

What a bunch of bullshit. Gays will continue to be gay and straights will continue to screw each other in or our of marriage.:clap2:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The court overstepped, most likely the legislature will change the ruling:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_05_11-2008_05_17.shtml#1210878732

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    The court didn't overstep. And any amendment to the cali constitution will fail. But they absolutely did McCain a favor because now all the radical righters will go out to vote in droves.

You'd think they'd have learned from what happened last election season.

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: