Lies...Damned lies!

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h2><a href=http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df01282004.html>Bush Claims to Never Say Iraq Was "Imminent Threat"</a></h2></center>

<i>Facing mounting pressure over charges that the White House deliberately misled the American people about Iraq's WMD, President Bush is now claiming that U.N. weapons inspectors were not allowed into Iraq before the war. Yesterday, the president said, Iraq "chose defiance. It was [Saddam's] choice to make, and he did not let us in."1

But U.N. weapons inspections led by Hans Blix began on November 27th, 2002, as noted by the State Department at the time.2 Over the course of the next five months, those inspections found "little more than 'debris'" from a WMD program that had long since been destroyed.3 The weapons inspectors were forced to leave when Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq.4 President Bush then "refused to permit the U.N. inspectors to return to Iraq."5

When asked about the issue yesterday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan claimed the entire WMD issue was unimportant because the Bush Administration had never said Iraq was a threat. He said, "the media have chosen to use the word 'imminent'" to describe the Iraqi "threat" - not the Bush Administration.6

But the record shows the Administration repeatedly said Iraq was an "imminent threat." On May 7th, less than a week after the president announced the end of major combat operations, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer was asked, "Didn't we go to war because we said WMD were a direct and imminent threat to the U.S.?" He replied, "Absolutely."7 Similarly, in November 2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld said, "I would look you in the eye and I would say, go back before September 11 and ask yourself this question: Was the attack that took place on September 11 an imminent threat the month before or two months before or three months before or six months before? When did the attack on September 11 become an imminent threat? Now, transport yourself forward a year, two years or a week or a month...So the question is, when is it such an immediate threat that you must do something?" Most notably, Vice President Cheney said two days after President Bush's 2003 State of the Union that Saddam Hussein "threatens the United States of America."8</i>

Sources:

1. President Bush Welcomes President Kwasniewski to White House , 01/27/2004.
2. "Weapons Inspections to Begin in Iraq November 27", US State Department, 11/25/2002.
3. "Blix Downgrades Prewar Assessment of Iraqi Weapons", Washington Post, 11/22/2003.
4. "Weapons Inspectors Leave Iraq", CBS News, 03/18/2003.
5. "Bush bars UN weapons teams from Iraq", SMH, 04/24/2003.
6. Press Briefing, 01/27/2004.
7. Press Briefing, 05/07/2003.
8. "Confronting Iraq Crucial To War Against Terror", Truth News, 01/30/2003.

The fabric of lies used to justify Dubbyuh's dirty little war is becoming more and more threadbare with each passing day. Face it, the emperor has no clothes.

This post is asinine. You bold "Bush Claims to Never Say Iraq Was "Imminent Threat"" and then offer NOTHING that shows he did say that. BUSH addressed the nation AND NEVER said there was an imminent threat.

Why did you bold what you did and then offer zilch to show he did in fact state those words?

Also:

You quote McClellan from 1/27/04 saying the administration never said there was an imminent threat. Not to mention this was stated over a year after congress voted for war and nearly a year after the war started.

You then quote Fleischer from 5/7/03. This wasn't Bush speaking, was it? And wasn't this AFTER the war already began?

Then you quote Rumsfeld. Not once did he even state that Iraq was an imminent threat. He explained why you shouldn't wait until that point.

Then you quote Cheney saying Iraq was a threat to the USA. Hell, I thik Iraq was a threat to the entire world! But nonetheless, the words imminent threat weren't spoken.

So your whole article is crap. It makes a BOLD statement and then offers proof to the contrary!

Thanks for clearing up this matter and proving me right, yet again.
:laugh:

Verbatim from Bush's 2003 STOTU speech:

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option.

Bush did not say the threat was imminent - he said we should act before it became such. The left and the elite media have spun his words to be the opposite of what he said.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-19.html

We are not the ones who are ticked off because Bush is in office. Matter of fact I am loving it ! His tax cuts have done wonders for my portfolio !

There seems to be a pattern of you posting things that have no basis in fact, and being called on it everytime. Makes one look a little foolish !

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...Gettin' y'all so hot and bothered.

Better than being like you and reading until we are stupid. Nevermind, it's obvious you didn't even read the article! :laugh:

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...Gettin' y'all so hot and bothered.

Honey, it takes a lot more than misquoting Bush to get me hot

...or bothered.

:D

Now that we know there were no WMDs, and that the REAL reason was to 'liberate' those poor Iraqi's, we basically went to war (invaded another country) be cause we wanted to.

By Bush's own rationale, every other country on earth should invade us because we may pose a threat in the future (we've demonstrated no care for international law or the geneva convention, and invade other countries when we fel like it) so we can easily be clasified as a 'Rogue" nation.

In terms of terrorism of course it isn't the people we've abused or murdered... it's our 'freedom' they hate... I forgot. Too bad that was one of the first things out of Bush's mouth after 911... he blew any shot at directing American discussion towards figuring out what is really going on. Far better to tie a flag over your eyes and chant 'USA!' than actaully examine our part in the terrorism that exists on this planet.

Originally posted by Scourge
Now that we know there were no WMDs, and that the REAL reason was to 'liberate' those poor Iraqi's, we basically went to war (invaded another country) be cause we wanted to.

By Bush's own rationale, every other country on earth should invade us because we may pose a threat in the future (we've demonstrated no care for international law or the geneva convention, and invade other countries when we fel like it) so we can easily be clasified as a 'Rogue" nation.

In terms of terrorism of course it isn't the people we've abused or murdered... it's our 'freedom' they hate... I forgot. Too bad that was one of the first things out of Bush's mouth after 911... he blew any shot at directing American discussion towards figuring out what is really going on. Far better to tie a flag over your eyes and chant 'USA!' than actaully examine our part in the terrorism that exists on this planet.

I like the way you say "now that we know". Why is that? Because we didn't know before, and Saddam refused to cooperate for 12 full years?

And you think we went to war "because we wanted to"? Have you not been paying attention since 1991? Have you read resolutions 1441 and 687? Was Saddam in breach of these resolutions like Hans Blix and David Kay stated?

we've demonstrated no care for international law or the geneva convention, and invade other countries when we fel like it

That's a crock of crap. What laws have been broken? When have we went against the Geneva convention? And lastly, what charges have so far been leveled against the USA by any other country or by any international courts?

Originally posted by wonderwench
Verbatim from Bush's 2003 STOTU speech:

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option.

Bush did not say the threat was imminent - he said we should act before it became such. The left and the elite media have spun his words to be the opposite of what he said.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-19.html

:read:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you JU!

I can just hear the spin from the Left:

But, but, but.....he did say the word "Imminent"!

I say 'we now know' because our intelligence was both the stated reson for war and the realization Saddam was NOT building Nuclear arms or readying to Gas our country. Plus, where have YOU been? We've been scouring that country and found nothing, all the insurgent attacks have been carried out without and WMDs and wouldn't those Saddam loyalists (who we're told are the purpatrators) be using their best weapons since they obviously don't care about collateral damage?

And the Geneva convention refers to our handling of those 'enemy combatants' or whatever we are calling them. If its a 'war on terror' then we should abide by conduct of war, if these aren't soldiers fighting us, then they are criminals, and have other rights either way we are ignoring it. And the world is talking about it! read a newspaper form anywhere OUTSIDE the U.S. and see another point of view. Shipping people off to Syria to get tortured is hardly in line with international law either....

the Geneva convention notwithstanding, our disregarding the ABM and Kyoto (which is not acts of war or anything, it just shows our attitude towards the world) is an example of our America first attitude, which is fine up to a point. When we make the world worse because we're helping ourselves is when we need to back off a bit.

Society certainly doesn't work when people take the law into their own hands or just take what they want and damn everyone else, so as a country we should show a little humility and a sense of fair play... and act like the greatest country in the world instead of just repeatedly yelling at everyone else.

Have you ever read Kyoto?

It's implementation would cripple industrial nations and still allow developing ones to pollute like crazy.

We have no moral obligation to decimate our own economy.

We have no moral obligations whatsoever it seems, certainly not to stop polluting this planet. But that doesn't mean we can't change our industrial practices to slow the planet's death... where is our use of wind and solar power? Where is our decrease in use of fossil (finite) fuels? Because there are elements of the Kyoto protocol that are not how we'd like them, we just disregard the entire process and forget it. Great solution!

Pass the oxygen mask!

That's a bit of a stretch.

Our government's moral obligation is the protection of U.S. citizens, first and foremost.

Signing a politically correct, poorly thought out treaty based upon Junk Science and UN politics is not in our best interests.

The only hope for environmentally friendly energy sources is private industry. Unless the private sector can produce such alternatives in a profitable fashion, you are deluding yourself to think that there will be any consumer traction. The only way to get consumers to adopt uneconomical alternatives is via government force. I doubt you really want to experience the consequences of such a move.

Scourge, seriously, your assertion that we don't play nice on the world stage is assinine to the extreme. Many nations have nothing more than a symbolic army at this point, they rely on us for their security. And we feed millions throughout the world. Got a problem? call the u.s., they'll do it on their dime. But the moment we simply ask the U.N. to assist us in enforcing it's OWN resolutions and we're told to eat trow. Your assertions are completely historically ignorant and without merit.

I don't understand? If you guys are sooo pro-war, and sooo pro-Dubbya, why aren't you enlisted?
Why are you being a true patriot, and fighting the good fight!
?????

Forum List

Back