Lieberman Indicates Support for Health Bill

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Independent Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman says he expects to support the Democrats' health care legislation as long as any government-run insurance plan stays out of the bill.

Lieberman has been a question mark on the health care legislation for months. To win him over, Senate leaders said late Monday they were backing away from a Medicare expansion Lieberman opposed. They already had dropped a full-blown government insurance program.

Lieberman told reporters Tuesday that if the Medicare expansion and government insurance plan are gone, "I'm going to be in a position where I can say what I've wanted to say all along: that I'm ready to vote for health care reform."

Senate leaders need Lieberman's support to secure 60 votes necessary to advance the legislation in the 100-member Senate.

Lieberman Indicates Support for Health Bill - ABC News

This could be huge for the Dems. With the polls showing voters overwhelmingly oppose the health insurance bills now before Congress, Lieberman's strong opposition to some parts of the bills may have given him enough credibility with voters to get them to reconsider their opposition to these bills, a credibility Obama and the other Dem leaders clearly lack.

So if a bill passes, will the result be popularly known as Obamacare or Liebermancare? To put it another way, when this legislation causes premiums to increase, the deficit to increase, Medicare benefits to be cut and thousands of dollars of new taxes to be imposed on the 17 million to 20 million Americans who choose to pay their own medical bills will voters punish Lieberman or Obama more harshly at the polls in 2012 - assuming, of course, Obama is able to win his Party's nomination in 2012?

Independent Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman says he expects to support the Democrats' health care legislation as long as any government-run insurance plan stays out of the bill.

Lieberman has been a question mark on the health care legislation for months. To win him over, Senate leaders said late Monday they were backing away from a Medicare expansion Lieberman opposed. They already had dropped a full-blown government insurance program.

Lieberman told reporters Tuesday that if the Medicare expansion and government insurance plan are gone, "I'm going to be in a position where I can say what I've wanted to say all along: that I'm ready to vote for health care reform."

Senate leaders need Lieberman's support to secure 60 votes necessary to advance the legislation in the 100-member Senate.

This could be huge for the Dems. With the polls showing voters overwhelmingly oppose the health insurance bills now before Congress, Lieberman's strong opposition to some parts of the bills may have given him enough credibility with voters to get them to reconsider their opposition to these bills, a credibility Obama and the other Dem leaders clearly lack.

So if a bill passes, will the result be popularly known as Obamacare or Liebermancare? To put it another way, when this legislation causes premiums to increase, the deficit to increase, Medicare benefits to be cut and thousands of dollars of new taxes to be imposed on the 17 million to 20 million Americans who choose to pay their own medical bills will voters punish Lieerman or Obama more harshly at the polls in 2012 - assuming, of course, Obama is able to win his Party's nomination in 2012?

Lieberman better watch out, some people are already using 'lieberman' as a synonym for hypocrite.

So if a bill passes, will the result be popularly known as Obamacare or Liebermancare? To put it another way, when this legislation causes premiums to increase, the deficit to increase, Medicare benefits to be cut and thousands of dollars of new taxes to be imposed on the 17 million to 20 million Americans who choose to pay their own medical bills will voters punish Lieerman or Obama more harshly at the polls in 2012 - assuming, of course, Obama is able to win his Party's nomination in 2012?

Lieberman better watch out, some people are already using 'lieberman' as a synonym for hypocrite.

Kinda like having to wipe your wry catcher?

Seems last year Liberman was proposing the same medicare revision that he is now objecting to. He is just a wingnut in independent guise playing the same game as the GOP. The Dims should have kicked him out of their caucus a long time ago.

You can betchur bippy on this: If Lieberman OKs the Healthcare Bill it will NOT be what the LIEbtards want. IT WILL BE WHAT AMERICA WANTS !!!

Seems last year Liberman was proposing the same medicare revision that he is now objecting to. He is just a wingnut in independent guise playing the same game as the GOP. The Dims should have kicked him out of their caucus a long time ago.

Lieberman is now saying he opposes the Medicare expansion because liberals like it too much.

yes, I swear.

Wait, I thought wry catcher meant without merit or reason. Can the Admin please add a section for stuff we need to know on USMB. These updates should be more systematic and accessible.

It seems that Lieberman is listening to the majority of americans who don't want this fiasco of a bill. Good for him!

Obama's ignorant, incompetent ass had better start listening to what the majority of people are saying. He already knows he won't be re-elected, but at least he may be able to avoid the same freight train that ran straight over Carter's ignorant, incompetent liberal ass!

Gee Dave, I'm pleased and surprised. I never knew you could post such an intelligent and well thought out response. You must be proud.

Gee Dave, I'm pleased and surprised. I never knew you could post such an intelligent and well thought out response. You must be proud.

Like this one?

And that is your right. I believe everyone in the show me state ought to carry. Open carry, no restrictions. Sex offenders, felons, those convicted of drug offenses, teachers, drunk drivers, domestic violence offenders, insurance and Avon salespersons, everyone. No registration, no rules, no restrictions.
Having spent a week in St. Louis one night, and a week in Kansas City one night, I have no intention or desire to ever visit your state again.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/97428-use-your-mind-3.html#post1801098

You're a hypocritical pain in the wry catcher.

Like this one?

And that is your right. I believe everyone in the show me state ought to carry. Open carry, no restrictions. Sex offenders, felons, those convicted of drug offenses, teachers, drunk drivers, domestic violence offenders, insurance and Avon salespersons, everyone. No registration, no rules, no restrictions.
Having spent a week in St. Louis one night, and a week in Kansas City one night, I have no intention or desire to ever visit your state again.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/97428-use-your-mind-3.html#post1801098

You're a hypocritical pain in the wry catcher.
I guess ol' Wryboy couldn't find any dudes to ream him up the ass in good ol' St. louis or KC. No wonder he holds such animosity towards those two fine cities. He is from the San Francisco area after all so, no surprise there.

I did my basic training at fort Leonard Wood. I found the vast majority of Missourians to be damn good people. Unlike the loony liberal crazy bastards in Frisco!

You can betchur bippy on this: If Lieberman OKs the Healthcare Bill it will NOT be what the LIEbtards want. IT WILL BE WHAT AMERICA WANTS !!!

And President Obama and the Democrats will get credit for it. :lol:

Who cares who gets credit for it? What in the heck is Lieberman supporting?

Anyone know?

just 3 hours ago:

Dems to Lieberman: Say it's so, Joe on health care
By LAURIE KELLMAN (AP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The senator Republicans love and liberals love to hate is at it again.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, who no longer considers himself a Democrat but is holding tight to a coveted chairmanship, thoroughly rattled the Obama administration and his colleagues in the last 48 hours when he threatened to join Republicans in blocking health care overhaul over government-run insurance and an expansion of Medicare.

"Say it ain't so, Joe," Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "I think Joe's judgment is wrong."

Don't count me as a "no" vote just yet, Lieberman indicated Tuesday.

As long as any government plan or Medicare expansion stays out of the bill, "then I'm going to be in a position where I can say what I've wanted to say all along: that I'm ready to vote for health care reform," the Connecticut lawmaker told reporters.

Lieberman isn't the typical Democrat the party machinery is primed to appease as President Barack Obama and Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., cobble together the 60 votes required to pass a health care bill

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jr7_y43SV4_fE6Gesqop2iClXGjwD9CK28580

Last edited:
Liebermantarism. A belief that you can say anything without consequence or factual basis. Cross-reference Obamaism.

And President Obama and the Democrats will get credit for it. :lol:

Who cares who gets credit for it? What in the heck is Lieberman supporting?

Anyone know?
He's obviously supporting we the people of whom the majority oppose this bullshit healthcare bill as it's written.

Good for him!

It's nice to see a politician actually giving a shit about what we the people think and feel.

Forum List

Back