Lie by Lie: A Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Jonathan Stein and Tim Dickinson

bush-on-bomb_master_425x320.jpg

Mushroom clouds, duct tape, Judy Miller, Curveball. Recalling how Americans were sold a bogus case for invasion.

At A congressional hearing examining the march to war in Iraq, Republican congressman Walter Jones posed "a very simple question" about the administration's manipulation of intelligence: "How could the professionals see what was happening and nobody speak out?"

Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff, responded with an equally simple answer: "The vice president."

But the blame for Iraq does not end with Cheney, Bush, or Rumsfeld. Nor is it limited to the intelligence operatives who sat silent as the administration cherry-picked its case for war, or with those, like Colin Powell or Hans Blix, who, in the name of loyalty or statesmanship, did not give full throat to their misgivings. It is also shared by far too many in the Fourth Estate, most notably the New York Times' Judith Miller. But let us not forget that it lies, inescapably, with we the American people, who, in our fear and rage over the catastrophic events of September 11, 2001, allowed ourselves to be suckered into the most audacious bait and switch of all time.

The first drafts of history are, by their nature, fragmentary. They arrive tragically late, and too often out of order. Back in 2006, we attempted to strip the history of the runup to the war to its bones, to reconstruct a skeleton that we thought might be key in resolving the open questions of the Bush era. As we prepare to leave Iraq, we present that timeline to you again. MotherJones.com offers a greatly expanded (if now technologically outdated) version of this timeline, one that is completely sourced to primary documents and initial news accounts. It was our hope to make this second draft of history as definitive as possible. So that we won't be fooled again.—THE EDITORS

TIMELINE: Lie by Lie: A Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq | Mother Jones

i never got sucked in with the lies....i knew iraq was incapable of harming us, i knew we got rid of 97% of iraq's weapon in gulf war 1 and right following it....from some articles i had read. I knew the nukes, the mushroom clouds in 45 minutes was bullcrud from day one.

Right on! So did I. I remember doing a double take the first time I heard Bush make his 9/11-Iraq connection. I remember thinking, "Americans won't buy that, will they?" Well, many did buy it out of fear and patriotism as a result of 9/11. I believe in many ways our media let us down.

i never got sucked in with the lies....i knew iraq was incapable of harming us, i knew we got rid of 97% of iraq's weapon in gulf war 1 and right following it....from some articles i had read. I knew the nukes, the mushroom clouds in 45 minutes was bullcrud from day one.

Right on! So did I. I remember doing a double take the first time I heard Bush make his 9/11-Iraq connection. I remember thinking, "Americans won't buy that, will they?" Well, many did buy it out of fear and patriotism as a result of 9/11. I believe in many ways our media let us down.

At the time, I was of two minds. On one hand, I couldn't understand how Iraq could have recovered so quickly after Bush I. But then, I thought, the president, being the son of a president I voted for would never lie about something like this that would put young Americans in harms way.

Boy was I wrong. And it's not just him. The entire Republican party has become this terrible mess of lies and deceit and racism and ignorance. I see it almost as a favor. Without Iraq it might have been years before I understood what Republicans are all about. So tragic for the Republican base, many of which are good people, to have such an agenda driven leadership. Willing to screw over millions of Americans for that agenda. And how they've terrorized their base. Many times worse than al Qaeda.

Bush, the neocons, and the Republican base were excited when 9/11 happened. It gave them the green light to put the rubber to pavement regarding their twisted worldview of nation building and imperialism.

They were gun-ho from the start, despite Iraq having nothing to do with 9/11 and dumbass republicans cheered them on while decrying everyone a traitor and questioning their patriotism for dissenting against this wasteful war.

Then goddamn liberals vote for Bush lite who wants to continue the war that Bush started, however Obama will get credit for "pulling" out of Iraq, even though he was kicked out under the guideline set in motion under the Bush administration.

Our whole foreign policy is a pack of lies. The only person who tells it as it is, is Ron Paul. Republicans lie and Democrats lie alike.

Bush, the neocons, and the Republican base were excited when 9/11 happened. It gave them the green light to put the rubber to pavement regarding their twisted worldview of nation building and imperialism.

They were gun-ho from the start, despite Iraq having nothing to do with 9/11 and dumbass republicans cheered them on while decrying everyone a traitor and questioning their patriotism for dissenting against this wasteful war.

Then goddamn liberals vote for Bush lite who wants to continue the war that Bush started, however Obama will get credit for "pulling" out of Iraq, even though he was kicked out under the guideline set in motion under the Bush administration.

Our whole foreign policy is a pack of lies. The only person who tells it as it is, is Ron Paul. Republicans lie and Democrats lie alike.

Well, you had my attention up until Ron Paul. The fact that he's not a warmonger is one of his good points. However, I would NEVER want him in the White House.

Well, you had my attention up until Ron Paul. The fact that he's not a warmonger is one of his good points. However, I would NEVER want him in the White House.

Of course don't. You want more of the same, despite talk of change.

I bet you vote for four more years of wars in this coming election while reserving your right to bitch about how Bush got us into this quagmire.

Last edited:

I bet you vote for four more years of wars in this coming election while reserving your right to bitch about how Bush got us into this quagmire.

Yes, I'll be voting for Obama - for the first time. He ain't perfect, but he's better than having American Taliban in the White House. BTW, how many wars has Obama started?

Mushroom clouds, duct tape, Judy Miller, Curveball. Recalling how Americans were sold a bogus case for invasion.

At A congressional hearing examining the march to war in Iraq, Republican congressman Walter Jones posed "a very simple question" about the administration's manipulation of intelligence: "How could the professionals see what was happening and nobody speak out?"

Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff, responded with an equally simple answer: "The vice president."

But the blame for Iraq does not end with Cheney, Bush, or Rumsfeld. Nor is it limited to the intelligence operatives who sat silent as the administration cherry-picked its case for war, or with those, like Colin Powell or Hans Blix, who, in the name of loyalty or statesmanship, did not give full throat to their misgivings. It is also shared by far too many in the Fourth Estate, most notably the New York Times' Judith Miller. But let us not forget that it lies, inescapably, with we the American people, who, in our fear and rage over the catastrophic events of September 11, 2001, allowed ourselves to be suckered into the most audacious bait and switch of all time.

The first drafts of history are, by their nature, fragmentary. They arrive tragically late, and too often out of order. Back in 2006, we attempted to strip the history of the runup to the war to its bones, to reconstruct a skeleton that we thought might be key in resolving the open questions of the Bush era. As we prepare to leave Iraq, we present that timeline to you again. MotherJones.com offers a greatly expanded (if now technologically outdated) version of this timeline, one that is completely sourced to primary documents and initial news accounts. It was our hope to make this second draft of history as definitive as possible. So that we won't be fooled again.—THE EDITORS

he murdered over 200000 curds with weapons of mass destruction,he tried to take over the oil in the middle east ,after the 1st gulf war he violated every UN sanction that was levied ,he ran the inspectors out ,he paid hamas family members 25000$ for every son that carried out suicide bombings against Israel !!! yeah ............keep on talking you treasonous left wing defender of evil !! ...................and what president cut back on ground intelligence????....Answer ......CLINTON !!!

Last edited:
The Lies were all about shit that should not have mattered. It should not have taken WMDS to convince Americans Saddam Needed to go. Why is it Liberals can Support Force to Remove Gadaffi in the Name of "Humanitarian Reasons" But Ignored Humanitarian Reasons to Remove Saddam that had existed for 25 Years, and Required a Threat in the Form of WMD's to get behind that war? I wonder if Bush had been a Democrat if you guys would have Demanded Iraq Pose a Threat to us to Invade them? Or would it be ok to do it just in the Name of Humanitarian Reasons with a Dem in Office? lol

Why you bringing this up now? To highlight the fact that your Supreme leader Obama has now Tossed away 10 years, over a Trillion Dollars, and 4500 Plus American Lives By Failing to Reach an Agreement to keep US troops there long term, and Thereby Clearing the Way for Iraq to Fall back into Chaos and Eventually become Fully Iran's Bitch.

I Said it before We Invaded. Which I was not for initially, (I wanted to Just Kill Saddam and the Bath Party and lets the Chips fall where they may, which is Ironically what we basically will end up with now) That if we were going to do it, and planned on trying to leave a Stable Democracy there, that we needed to be willing to keep Troops there for Generations as we did in Japan and Germany after WWII. We needed to be in it for the long haul, Instead we started looking for a way out as soon as we got in.

doomed from the Start. You can not expect to just install Democracy in a place that has never known it, Surrounded by enemies, and Divided by 2 Opposed Factions with Much bad Blood Behind them. You have to Be able to keep the place stable and allow it to slowly evolve into what you want.

he murdered over 200000 curds with weapons of mass destruction,he tried to take over the oil in the middle east ,after the 1st gulf war he violated every UN sanction that was levied ,he ran the inspectors out ,he paid hamas family members 25000$ for every son that carried out suicide bombings against Israel !!! yeah ............keep on talking you treasonous left wing defender of evil !! ...................and what president cut back on ground intelligence????....Answer ......CLINTON !!!

Not to Mention that he almost Daily Took shots at our Planes Patrolling a UN imposed No fly zone. In fact before we started talking Invasions, Liberals used to like to Bitch that we had our Pilots At risk enforcing a Never ending No Fly Zone. Ironic Really.

Not to Mention that he almost Daily Took shots at our Planes Patrolling a UN imposed No fly zone. In fact before we started talking Invasions, Liberals used to like to Bitch that we had our Pilots At risk enforcing a Never ending No Fly Zone. Ironic Really.
if the enemy had white skin the guilt ridden libbs we not be bitching like they do !!

Yes, I'll be voting for Obama - for the first time. He ain't perfect, but he's better than having American Taliban in the White House. BTW, how many wars has Obama started?

So, you bitch about war, then vote for four more years of it.

Got it...

No offense, but it is stupid shit like this that is ruining our country. People don't have any conviction anymore to stand by their values. Instead of having values that you stand and fight for, you rather blast the GOP.

Last edited:
The Lies were all about shit that should not have mattered. It should not have taken WMDS to convince Americans Saddam Needed to go. Why is it Liberals can Support Force to Remove Gadaffi in the Name of "Humanitarian Reasons" But Ignored Humanitarian Reasons to Remove Saddam that had existed for 25 Years, and Required a Threat in the Form of WMD's to get behind that war? I wonder if Bush had been a Democrat if you guys would have Demanded Iraq Pose a Threat to us to Invade them? Or would it be ok to do it just in the Name of Humanitarian Reasons with a Dem in Office? lol

Why you bringing this up now? To highlight the fact that your Supreme leader Obama has now Tossed away 10 years, over a Trillion Dollars, and 4500 Plus American Lives By Failing to Reach an Agreement to keep US troops there long term, and Thereby Clearing the Way for Iraq to Fall back into Chaos and Eventually become Fully Iran's Bitch.

I Said it before We Invaded. Which I was not for initially, (I wanted to Just Kill Saddam and the Bath Party and lets the Chips fall where they may, which is Ironically what we basically will end up with now) That if we were going to do it, and planned on trying to leave a Stable Democracy there, that we needed to be willing to keep Troops there for Generations as we did in Japan and Germany after WWII. We needed to be in it for the long haul, Instead we started looking for a way out as soon as we got in.

doomed from the Start. You can not expect to just install Democracy in a place that has never known it, Surrounded by enemies, and Divided by 2 Opposed Factions with Much bad Blood Behind them. You have to Be able to keep the place stable and allow it to slowly evolve into what you want.

WTF? Even Iraq doesn't want us there and you want us to commit billions of MORE dollars to maintain a presence there?

Many Iraqi Lawmakers have rejected any extension of the presence of US troops or other foreign troops in Iraq, warning of possible rise in the level of violence as this will give excuse for more attacks against the Iraqi civilians.

Many people here still believe that the foreign forces have brought nothing but bloodshed and destruction to the country. The Iraqi people have urged the Iraqi Government not to extend the presence of the foreign soldiers, saying that they want to see the last foreign soldier out of their country.

Since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, American soldiers have committed many crimes against the Iraqi civilians which were described by many as unforgivable.

PressTV - Iraq opposes extended US military presence

If we try to extend our presence there we'll only be inviting trouble. And their accusations of crimes committed by our troops is proof enough to me that they don't appreciate their sacrifices.

And for you to say "Obama has now Tossed away 10 years, over a Trillion Dollars, and 4500 Plus American Lives" flies in the face of reality.

BUSH is the one who is SOLELY responsible for ordering the Iraq Invasion and Occupation. And the "4500 plus American lives" is on him and him alone. Bush committed the BIGGEST foreign policy blunder in the history of the United States and our troops ended up dying FOR NO GOOD REASON.

WTF? Even Iraq doesn't want us there and you want us to commit billions of MORE dollars to maintain a presence there?

Many Iraqi Lawmakers have rejected any extension of the presence of US troops or other foreign troops in Iraq, warning of possible rise in the level of violence as this will give excuse for more attacks against the Iraqi civilians.

Many people here still believe that the foreign forces have brought nothing but bloodshed and destruction to the country. The Iraqi people have urged the Iraqi Government not to extend the presence of the foreign soldiers, saying that they want to see the last foreign soldier out of their country.

Since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, American soldiers have committed many crimes against the Iraqi civilians which were described by many as unforgivable.

PressTV - Iraq opposes extended US military presence

If we try to extend our presence there we'll only be inviting trouble. And their accusations of crimes committed by our troops is proof enough to me that they don't appreciate their sacrifices.

And for you to say "Obama has now Tossed away 10 years, over a Trillion Dollars, and 4500 Plus American Lives" flies in the face of reality.

BUSH is the one who is SOLELY responsible for ordering the Iraq Invasion and Occupation. And the "4500 plus American lives" is on him and him alone. Bush committed the BIGGEST foreign policy blunder in the history of the United States and our troops ended up dying FOR NO GOOD REASON.

I get a kick out of them trying to compare Iraq to Libya.

Forum List

Back