Libyan Rebels Will Not Extradite Lockerbie Bomber

Question for my fellow 'boarders':

Do you think the rebels that took over are worse than Quadaffi/Kaddafi...nobody spells his name the same way twice!?

LOL-Including Peach!

What that old saying??The devil you vs the one you don't, the blood shed is just starting.

Granny says bring him back on his deathbed...
:tongue:
Romney Wants Lockerbie Bomber Extradited to Face Justice by U.S.
Monday, August 29, 2011 – In the aftermath of the fall of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney wants to see the Lockerbie bomber – responsible for 186 American deaths – extradited to the United States to face justice.
“What I’d like to do is have the Lockerbie bomber extradited from Libya,” Romney said at a campaign stop in Exeter, N.H., in response to a question on the matter. “This is a person responsible for killing Americans. The idea that he would be welcomed home as a hero in Libya is simply distasteful and disgusting and outrageous and I’d like him to be extradited and face justice at the hands of the United States.”

The Scottish government released Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi from his life sentence in the summer of 2009. He was convicted on 270 counts of murder, conspiracy to murder, and violating British-aviation legislation after PanAm flight 103 was destroyed at 31,000 feet, 38 minutes after departing Heathrow Airport in London bound for New York City. The 259 people on board the plane were killed, along with 11 people on the ground in Lockerbie, Scotland, who were killed when the plane crashed. Scottish authorities released Megrahi “on compassionate grounds,” citing medical advice that his advanced prostate cancer gave him about three months to live. He is still alive.

He was welcomed back to Libya under Gaddafi’s regime, which sponsored the attack. “Guantanamo always serves a useful purpose in settings like this,” Romney added. “The process we follow, we’ll follow our laws with regards to this individual. But the right thing is that he should be extradited as an indication to the people of the world that you can’t kill American or other good people in the world without suffering consequence. And him being freed and walking around a free person, thumbing his nose at the world for having taken down an aircraft and killing almost 200 people is unacceptable and I’d get him extradited if we could possibly make that happen.”

His release generated public attention this month when four U.S. senators from New York and New Jersey called on the administration to probe the affair. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had also called for an inquiry into the matter by British and Scottish officials.

Source

See also:

With Megrahi ‘Near Death,’ Will Lockerbie Secrets Ever Be Revealed?
Sunday, August 28, 2011 – The only man convicted in the Lockerbie bombing is reported by CNN to be apparently near death, an eventuality that may deprive the families of the 1988 atrocity’s victims, and the world, of ever learning exactly who gave the orders for the deadliest act of terrorism on British soil.
CNN said it tracked down Abdelbaset al-Megrahi in Tripoli Sunday, in the care of relatives and reportedly “surviving on oxygen and an intravenous drip.” A month ago, Libyan television images showed Megrahi, frail and in a wheelchair, at a pro-regime rally. Two hundred and fifty-nine people onboard Pan Am Flight 103 and another 11 on the ground were killed when the London-New York plane was bombed over Lockerbie in Scotland. Among the dead were 189 American citizens. Two years ago, the former Libyan intelligence official serving a life sentence for the attack was freed from a Scottish prison, after doctors said he was suffering from terminal prostate cancer and gave him three months to live. The Obama administration, which had urged against his release, appealed to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to ensure Megrahi’s reception was a low-key affair. Instead, he was given what was described as a hero’s welcome.

Megrahi’s survival long beyond the doctors’ prognosis angered many in the U.S. and Britain, and the collapse of the Gaddafi regime has prompted new calls on both sides of the Atlantic for Megrahi to be returned to prison. Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney last week said he hoped the new Libyan authorities would extradite Megrahi “so justice can finally be done.” Hours before CNN found him, the rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) justice spokesman, Mohammed al-Alagi, told reporters Libyan citizens would not be deported. “Al-Megrahi has already been judged once and he will not be judged again,” Reuters quoted him as saying. “We do not hand over Libyan citizens. Gaddafi does.”

Also on Sunday, British Foreign Secretary William Hague told British broadcasters that the TNC chairman, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, had given him an undertaking during a recent visit to Britain that the new government would cooperate fully with London over both the Lockerbie case and the still-unsolved shooting death of a British policewoman, Yvonne Fletcher, shot to death outside the city's Libyan Embassy in London in 1984. (After the 25 year-old constable was shot while policing a protest outside the mission, an 11-day armed siege ensued during which police could not enter the building because it enjoyed diplomatic immunity. Britain then allowed 30 people inside the mission to leave and fly to Libya, and diplomatic relations were broken off for the next 15 years.

They were restored in 1999, after the Gaddafi regime formally admitted responsibility for Fletcher’s death and promised to cooperate in a police investigation. No-one was ever indicted, but British media last week a junior diplomat at the embassy at the time, Abdulmagid Salah Ameri, as the prime suspect.) The fugitive Libyan leader may yet be captured and surrendered to the International Criminal Court, which has indicted Gaddafi, along with his son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and intelligence chief, for alleged crimes against humanity arising from the armed suppression of this year’s rebellion. Even if he lands in the dock, however, unless he volunteers information about the Lockerbie bombing questions about the affair will remain unanswered. Megrahi’s chances of shedding more light on the affair are slipping away, and may be gone.

Miscarriage of justice concerns

Question for my fellow 'boarders':

Do you think the rebels that took over are worse than Quadaffi/Kaddafi...nobody spells his name the same way twice!?

LOL-Including Peach!
yes!! kaddafi /quadaffi???watever !!!was only interested in his own rule in a backwards[ ARAB ]shit hole of a country!! the muslim Shit Hands that have taken over will export their violent ideology beyond the lybian border!!they will offer safe haven,train,and support terrorist groups through out the world on a scale that kaddafi would not have allowed!!!

Last edited:
Lybians; Thanks for the food, fuel, missles, ammo, freedom and all the other help that cost you billions so that we can democratically build a tryannical theocracy.

now fuck off you evil infedels.

Arab summer is going to be one of the worst things to ever occur.

Some things never change, if we really thought an Arab country would ever be grateful for our help we were the fuckin fools here, not them.

Maybe it's because they don't assume what's being done is for THEM. Maybe they recognize that it's just yet another operation to remove a leader who doesn't play ball geopolitically and replace him with one who does.

It's not about freedom, it's about business, and I think the people of the middle east are about sick and tired of it.

I don't blame them.

Lybians; Thanks for the food, fuel, missles, ammo, freedom and all the other help that cost you billions so that we can democratically build a tryannical theocracy.

now fuck off you evil infedels.

Arab summer is going to be one of the worst things to ever occur.

Some things never change, if we really thought an Arab country would ever be grateful for our help we were the fuckin fools here, not them.

Maybe it's because they don't assume what's being done is for THEM. Maybe they recognize that it's just yet another operation to remove a leader who doesn't play ball geopolitically and replace him with one who does.

It's not about freedom, it's about business, and I think the people of the middle east are about sick and tired of it.

I don't blame them.

Its definently about business but at the same time without US and NATO bombs and missiles Gaddafi would have massacred them, the least they can do is hand over this old bastard to re-establish fresh relations with the West.

I don't blame them.

Its definently about business but at the same time without US and NATO bombs and missiles Gaddafi would have massacred them, the least they can do is hand over this old bastard to re-establish fresh relations with the West.

What happened was they gladly accepted the air power assistance in the revolution, because obviously they couldn't have done this without it. But they also know that NATO and the US are not just lending some air power to help free up a people. The ulterior motive is getting a puppet leader installed that will play ball.

The rebels know this is the case, because that is ALWAYS the case. And the US doesn't really care if that puppet leader ends up becoming a dictator who eventually takes unilateral control over the people and removes freedom, as long as he continues to play ball.

The people in the ME are tired of watching us do this to countless countries, and they know damn well this air mission was not for THEM. The rebels simply want the US and NATO to now butt out and let them decide their own future.

I don't blame them.

What happened was they gladly accepted the air power assistance in the revolution, because obviously they couldn't have done this without it. But they also know that NATO and the US are not just lending some air power to help free up a people. The ulterior motive is getting a puppet leader installed that will play ball.

The rebels know this is the case, because that is ALWAYS the case. And the US doesn't really care if that puppet leader ends up becoming a dictator who eventually takes unilateral control over the people and removes freedom, as long as he continues to play ball.

The people in the ME are tired of watching us do this to countless countries, and they know damn well this air mission was not for THEM. The rebels simply want the US and NATO to now butt out and let them decide their own future.

You are pretty much spot on, for me to sit here and say this was all for the Libyan people would be niaeve. However whether they like it or not, they should be grateful for our help and assistance because without it most of these cats dancing in the streets of Tripoli would be in a mass grave right now, real talk.

You are pretty much spot on, for me to sit here and say this was all for the Libyan people would be niaeve. However whether they like it or not, they should be grateful for our help and assistance because without it most of these cats dancing in the streets of Tripoli would be in a mass grave right now, real talk.

Yeah I feel you for sure. But like for many people in Iraq, what they had previously could very well end up being better than what they end up with. At least before Saddam's removal people could walk the streets without being blown up everyday. Sometimes its a be careful what you wish for kind of thing.

This is why I don't support foreign intervention. It's none of our business whether or not the Libyan people are free, and it's definitely not our business to be installing, or manipulating the installation of, our own puppet governments for selfish purposes. It does us no good in the foreign relations department, and besides any of it, we don't have the money to be doing this anymore.

Yeah I feel you for sure. But like for many people in Iraq, what they had previously could very well end up being better than what they end up with. At least before Saddam's removal people could walk the streets without being blown up everyday. Sometimes its a be careful what you wish for kind of thing.

This is why I don't support foreign intervention. It's none of our business whether or not the Libyan people are free, and it's definitely not our business to be installing, or manipulating the installation of, our own puppet governments for selfish purposes. It does us no good in the foreign relations department, and besides any of it, we don't have the money to be doing this anymore.

Well I agree with you there, I definently wanted no part in this Libya business. Nobody really knows too much about the backgrounds of the rebels we are helping alot of them have Islamic Militant histories, Libya under Gaddafi was pretty good as far as womens rights and it was not an Islamic theocracy, these are things we may see change now that Gaddafi is pretty much gone.

Well I agree with you there, I definently wanted no part in this Libya business. Nobody really knows too much about the backgrounds of the rebels we are helping alot of them have Islamic Militant histories, Libya under Gaddafi was pretty good as far as womens rights and it was not an Islamic theocracy, these are things we may see change now that Gaddafi is pretty much gone.
Right, and like I pointed out earlier, we don't really care if the new leader is a dictator or not, because he'll be hand picked by the powers that be for his willingness to play ball.

We have too much of a history of supporting and installing dictators, to expect anything else.

We only really "care" about how free and democratic a nation's people are when situations arise where their regime needs to be changed.

Look at Saudi Arabia. Nowhere close to our standards for human rights, but they play ball with us probably more loyally than anyone in the ME and as long as they keep that oil moving and don't cross us they can treat their citizens however the fuck they want.

I don't blame them.

the spice must flow;)

the spice must flow;)
The sooner people wake up to that reality, the sooner we'll have our country back.

Forum List

Back