Libyan Rebels losing

hipeter924

Not a zombie yet
May 5, 2009
Nowhere you can follow
Like I didn't see this coming. :eusa_eh:

As Muammar Gaddafi's forces carried out bloody assaults on rebel-held towns yesterday, those suffering his wrath were increasingly asking a stark question: Why is the West failing to offer help in our desperate time of need?

Two frontline towns held by dissidents came under sustained attack and an oil facility was set ablaze yesterday during ferocious fighting that left dozens dead as Gaddafi forces rolled back opposition military gains. Feeling was growing in opposition ranks that the disorganised and disunited political and military leadership of the protest movement could not withstand much longer the sustained pressure from Gaddafi's forces.

Western powers which wish the rebels well remain divided about the feasibility or desirability of intervention, but the momentum behind Gaddafi's fightback seems undeniable. The Benghazi-based rebel leadership has called for a no-fly zone and airstrikes against the regime.

Former Justice Minister Abdel Jalil, a leading member who had a price put on his head by the regime yesterday, said the West must "help protect Libya's people from Gaddafi's assault and help put an end to his war".

British and American officials were at pains to dampen any hopes of swiftly putting a no-fly zone in place during a Nato defence ministers' meeting in Brussels. "We want to see the international community support it," US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

The British and French Governments have said they are drafting a United Nations Security Council resolution banning military aircraft over Libya, but it would be unlikely to pass given Russia and China's opposition.

Hopes that the revolution could bring four decades of dictatorship to an end were being replaced by the fear that the regime will crush its opponents with firepower. The strategic oil port of Ras Lanouf in the east was pounded by an artillery barrage interspersed with airstrikes. Zawiyah, in the west, which became a symbol of resistance, had, according to regime officials, been recaptured.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10711553

Last edited:
The rebels are going to lose unless they get help, Ghaddafi has all the money and weapons in that country, he can simply hold out and take his time crushing the rebels. He feels no urgency because there is none.

What is truly sickening to ME is that they could reasonably EXPECT the United States to come riding to their rescue like a White Knight. The fact that we HAVE interveened in so many of these situations over the years should really sicken people. Whether the Europeans choose to get involved or not is their problem.

My father once told me.... "Never start a fight you aren't sure you can win, or ready to face the consequences of losing."

What is truly sickening to ME is that they could reasonably EXPECT the United States to come riding to their rescue like a White Knight. The fact that we HAVE interveened in so many of these situations over the years should really sicken people. Whether the Europeans choose to get involved or not is their problem.

My father once told me.... "Never start a fight you aren't sure you can win, or ready to face the consequences of losing."

If the US gets involved everyone can blame us and they got their scapegoat.

Like the Cuban dissidents who laid on the beach getting their asses shot up waiting for the US Marines they thought were going to come and actually fight their little revolution for them. Sorry folks. One of these days people are going to have to get the idea that like my ancestors, sometimes you have to DO IT YOURSELF instead of waiting for someone else to "free" you from an oppressive government.

Like the Cuban dissidents who laid on the beach getting their asses shot up waiting for the US Marines they thought were going to come and actually fight their little revolution for them. Sorry folks. One of these days people are going to have to get the idea that like my ancestors, sometimes you have to DO IT YOURSELF instead of waiting for someone else to "free" you from an oppressive government.

I just can't think of a time when the US got involved in a Muslim country Militarily and the outcome was favorable, we liberated Kuwait in the Gulf War but their people hate us now.

I just can't think of a time when the US got involved in a Muslim country Militarily and the outcome was favorable, we liberated Kuwait in the Gulf War but their people hate us now.

The installed Shah lasted a while

The brutal truth is, Gadaffi has taken it easy on them thus far.

It will not go well for the rebels until a real army gets involved.

The installed Shah lasted a while

Yeah but look at Iran now, was getting involved over there really worth it?

It was to the Oil companies for over 30 years, shake that to the Bank

Yeah but I'm talking about overall outcomes, sure they made some money for a while but look at Iran now, supporting terrorism and creating nukes, I don't think it was worth it.

The sad thing is you are right he has taken it easy, hes just taking his time and picking them apart piece by piece and watching what the rest of the world is gonna do.

I'll take it one step further.... I can't think of a time when the US got involved in ANY country and the outcome was favorable. We liberated EUROPE twice in the first half of the twentieth century and their people hate us almost as much as the Muslim/Arab people do.

Gadaffi has had vastly superior forces all along, and the rebels are slowly running out of supplies and ammunition, if the US intervenes it will be the US fighting the war as the rebels are poorly trained and not a modern army like Gadaffis loyalists, who will likely win if not in a few months then a few years.

Um, Bosnia.
ANd it depends on what you consider "favorable."

Why are we letting Gaddafi win this one after we've said he must go? Why are we not offering some kind of support? Why do we not even know the identity of the opposition leaders?

The Chosen ( self chosen) LOVE MoMo the Nazi. IsNtReal owns the west.............MoMo gets to win.
Simple eh ?

Attachments

• $john mccain at the Western Wall 19mar8ap.jpg
    $john mccain at the Western Wall 19mar8ap.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 65
  • $obama-at-wailing-wall.jpg
    $obama-at-wailing-wall.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 66
  • $Bill+at+the+Wailing+Wall+yBVyzLGYtNVl.jpg
    $Bill+at+the+Wailing+Wall+yBVyzLGYtNVl.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 67

Forum List