Libs: What are your true cultural values?

I'm not described as a liberal here but at one point in my life people around me called me a liberal.

Can I comment on my positions too maggie?

Sure. My intent in calling on "libs" is that I think too many endorse an entire ideologically-based platform on cultural values but really don't believe in what they support if they are honest with themselves. I see it all the time, i.e., blacks can do no wrong--they're so oppressed; a woman should have an abortion on demand, etc. I so often see much written about conservative stoicism on moral values, equally as politically motivated, but rarely read about liberals who also might have conservative opinions on the standard liberal posture.

I'm calling on hypocrites to identify themselves!! :lol:

I'm going to make my answers short and simple.

1. Abortion - I'm all for doing away with abortion when men are willing to be castrated.
2. Racial bigotry - It's alive and well ... unfortunately
3. Gays - I believe in "All men are created equal"
4. Christianity - I believe that "God wants Spirtual Fruit and not Religious Nuts."
5. Catholic Church - needs to stay out of politics and "really" deal with their own child molesters.

Except for the fact that no 'gay gene' has been found whatsoever... that little fact usually gets in to the way of the 'genetic failure' argument

I said it was being "studied," not that one has been found yet.

I'm not described as a liberal here but at one point in my life people around me called me a liberal.

Can I comment on my positions too maggie?

Sure. My intent in calling on "libs" is that I think too many endorse an entire ideologically-based platform on cultural values but really don't believe in what they support if they are honest with themselves. I see it all the time, i.e., blacks can do no wrong--they're so oppressed; a woman should have an abortion on demand, etc. I so often see much written about conservative stoicism on moral values, equally as politically motivated, but rarely read about liberals who also might have conservative opinions on the standard liberal posture.

I'm calling on hypocrites to identify themselves!! :lol:

I think the mistake you've been making is that you are allowing conservatives to tell you all about liberals and what they believe and what they endorse. It's like asking a muslim to tell you about Christainity. ... Or like asking a liberal to tell you what conservatives believe and endorse.

The second mistake is trying to attach a one-size-fits-all label to people when almost everyone is a mixed bag - some "conservative" views, some "liberal" views and a whole lot of "in-between."

• Thanks
Reactions: del
If homosexuality is a genetic disorder - then HOW does that gene get passed on?

No clue. But there are many diseases that don't immediately get passed on. There are even genetic identifications that don't get passed on to offspring. Ever see a young adult who doesn't resemble either his or her parent but is the spitting image of a grandparent?

Except for the fact that no 'gay gene' has been found whatsoever... that little fact usually gets in to the way of the 'genetic failure' argument

Scientists have almost unanimously concluded that homosexuality is a genetic failure.

Did not sound like you said studied there, mags

1. Abortion - I'm all for doing away with abortion when men are willing to be castrated.
4. Christianity - I believe that "God wants Spirtual Fruit and not Religious Nuts."
5. Catholic Church - needs to stay out of politics and "really" deal with their own child molesters.

Short and pointed. I've never had that talent.
:clap2:

Fiscal conservative, but social liberal here.

Abortion - Pro choice for all the right reasons, politically correct or not.

Racial bigotry - Sucks, it goes both ways, and it still is a problem in society so we cannot marginalize it with petty accusations of it in favor of a partisan talking point.

Gays - None of my business what sort of sex one prefers with another consenting adult and certainly none of the government's business. Equal rights and equal protections.

Christianity - If that is what one believes, go for it. It's not my business who or how one worships (unless my or another's freedoms are infringed).

Last edited:

Scientists have almost unanimously concluded that homosexuality is a genetic failure.

Well...I don't profess to spend a great deal of time on the subject, but I've certainly read enough articles to know I'm not making it up. Just a quick Google search typing in Scientists generally conclude that homosexuality is a genetic disorder turned up over 5,000 links discussing same.

Hate men for a long time have ya or is castration some "spiritual fruit" i haven't come across?

Hate men for a long time have ya or is castration some "spiritual fruit" i haven't come across?
I'm no fan of violent ideation, either. That is about as funny as any domestic abuse 'joke'.

I've been wondering about this one---can people even have cultural values or are cultural values reflected by the behavior of a culture ( sub or whatever) ?

Not to derail your thread, but I've always seen this as the catch-22 of the homosexual community.

If homosexuality is a lifestyle choise, why should the get equal protection under the law? If you decide to go Punk or Goth, don't complain you can't get a bank job. Personal life decisions have consequences.

If homosexuality is a genetic disorder, then it is medicallly a sickness and that opens a whole Pandora's Box of terrible scenarios. Parents aborting gay fetuses, opting for dangerous genetic therapies, etc.

I've never understood pursing this line of reasoning.

Actually, genetic flaw may not be an illness whatsoever. If the premise is correct, the action of creating a male comes from the mutation of an embryo that is normally female.

Thus the male of the species, like me, are genetic mutations of women. Translation--all men are mutated women!! I am now thinking of taking out an ad as being a lesbiian with an extra sex organ. Technically, it is true!!

Well...I don't profess to spend a great deal of time on the subject, but I've certainly read enough articles to know I'm not making it up. Just a quick Google search typing in Scientists generally conclude that homosexuality is a genetic disorder turned up over 5,000 links discussing same.

and 1.8 million for no gay gene....

I don't take # of links as any sort of proof...

The fact is that with all the efforts put forth by those with agendas to find such a thing, not even 1 smidgen of a hint of a gay gene has been found.... and anyone who tried to then conclude that it is something 'natural' or 'genetic' or anything else of the sort really has zero leg to stand on...

Look.. I am for government treating people equally as long as they are not prisoners or doing something against the law.. which includes people choosing the homosexual lifestyle... if they want civil union status that affords the same 'benefits' such as inheritance, power of attorney in emergencies and medical issues, joint filing for family taxation, etc... all well and fine... but much like other life choices that people swear was beyond their control, I say don't shit in my hand and tell me it's chocolate.. and don't try to use a premise of equality to try and promote some other offshoot agenda...

Just waiting for the people to claim the pedophilia gene, the I can't stop committing crime gene, the you owe me for existing gene, the I can't work because I don't want to gene, or the drunk driving gene... :rolleyes:

"Just as there is treatment for bipolar disorder, for example, there are treatments available for homosexuals today and more sophisticated treatments will be available in the future."

Assuming you're talking about the counseling, those don't work. Also homosexuality isn't classified as a mental disorder anymore and I don't think it should be.

I agree. Scientists have almost unanimously concluded that homosexuality is a genetic failure. I saw a recent study that is trying to isolate it to the fact that a fetus is basically all female until a certain growth point, and that the genetic mutation may occur there.

It takes a strong person to "come out" and still hope to live and co-mingle among a still majority heterosexual population. That said, I think even that would be less of a psychological problem if the more flamboyant gay population didn't exacerbate the stigma that already exists.

You just pulled that out of your ass.

Not to derail your thread, but I've always seen this as the catch-22 of the homosexual community.

If homosexuality is a lifestyle choise, why should the get equal protection under the law? If you decide to go Punk or Goth, don't complain you can't get a bank job. Personal life decisions have consequences.

If homosexuality is a genetic disorder, then it is medicallly a sickness and that opens a whole Pandora's Box of terrible scenarios. Parents aborting gay fetuses, opting for dangerous genetic therapies, etc.

I've never understood pursing this line of reasoning.

You didn't mention what it "really is". Just another variance on being human. Yes, it really is that simple.

If homosexuality is a genetic disorder - then HOW does that gene get passed on?

No clue. But there are many diseases that don't immediately get passed on. There are even genetic identifications that don't get passed on to offspring. Ever see a young adult who doesn't resemble either his or her parent but is the spitting image of a grandparent?

I'm sure many gay people would apreciate being compared to a "disease".

Abortion: I find it reprehensible, but the cat is out of the bag. We will never eliminate abortion, it is available around the world. I am a realist and know that neither abortion or gun ownership will be outlawed nation wide. Best option is to cut down the need for abortion.....Birth control, sex education, free neonatal care, assistance to single mothers
Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, more entitlement bullshit and wealth redistribution against personal freedoms, and even more entitlement bullshit and wealth redistribution against personal freedoms

Racial bigotry: It is here, but not as bad as it once was. We have made enormous progress. We don't owe people anything other than a fair shake.....some groups still do not get a fair shake.
I believe most problems blacks face are due to black culture and not white descrimination. 70% of black children born to unwed mothers, limited emphasis on education, black on black crime, gangs, drugs...all are self inflicted and need to be handled within the black community
Fair shake and equal treatment by law.... for once I can actually say we are about on the same page

Gays: I still wince when I see gays kissing, but am willing to accept it. I think gays have a right to marry, raise children and do everything heterosexuals do. I look at what they do as having no impact on my life so leave them alone
I am close to agreeing with this also.. except I do think this whole redefinition of the term marriage is still horse shit.. but again, in terms of government and law, I am for equal treatment

Christianity: I am an atheist....I have been brought up Christian but just don't buy it as the truth. Most Christians are good people and do good for the community. I have problems with fundamentalists who are intolerant of others while demanding their own doctrine be accepted
Big shock there... :rolleyes:
If you have problems with fundamentalists.. then you should also have problems with the wingers who practically use environmentalism and other things as their 'religion'.. who practically force their 'doctrine' to be accepted

Republicans have worked against their own self interest for years. The elite they are so against have been using them to stage a massive redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the top 3% since the time of Reagan.
A country can only stay strong if it has a strong middle class. Under the Bush administration, the Repubublicans went hog wild.
The no bid contracts after Katrina.
The no bid contracts after the invasion of Iraq.
The deregulation of Wall Street.
The massive tax cuts for the wealthy.
Health Care (without the care).
Supporting businesses in their move to shift American jobs to other coutries.
The insane energy policies developed between Bush and the oil companies.
And worse, sending the children of the poor and middle class off to fight a made up war so they could make even more money.
And the Republicans have not only supported this travesty, but when there was some small effort to move money back to the middle class, they cry about a "redistribution" of wealth, that already happened.
Worse, the ones that cry the loudest, have no wealth.
Republicans are like the guy who said, "I can't believe how much it hurt when you poked me in the eye. Do it again, in case I was wrong the first time".

Abortion: I find it reprehensible, but the cat is out of the bag. We will never eliminate abortion, it is available around the world. I am a realist and know that neither abortion or gun ownership will be outlawed nation wide. Best option is to cut down the need for abortion.....Birth control, sex education, free neonatal care, assistance to single mothers
Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, more entitlement bullshit and wealth redistribution against personal freedoms, and even more entitlement bullshit and wealth redistribution against personal freedoms

Fair shake and equal treatment by law.... for once I can actually say we are about on the same page

I am close to agreeing with this also.. except I do think this whole redefinition of the term marriage is still horse shit.. but again, in terms of government and law, I am for equal treatment

Christianity: I am an atheist....I have been brought up Christian but just don't buy it as the truth. Most Christians are good people and do good for the community. I have problems with fundamentalists who are intolerant of others while demanding their own doctrine be accepted
Big shock there... :rolleyes:
If you have problems with fundamentalists.. then you should also have problems with the wingers who practically use environmentalism and other things as their 'religion'.. who practically force their 'doctrine' to be accepted

Republicans have worked against their own self interest for years. The elite they are so against have been using them to stage a massive redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the top 3% since the time of Reagan.
A country can only stay strong if it has a strong middle class. Under the Bush administration, the Repubublicans went hog wild.
The no bid contracts after Katrina.
The no bid contracts after the invasion of Iraq.
The deregulation of Wall Street.
The massive tax cuts for the wealthy.
Health Care (without the care).
Supporting businesses in their move to shift American jobs to other coutries.
The insane energy policies developed between Bush and the oil companies.
And worse, sending the children of the poor and middle class off to fight a made up war so they could make even more money.
And the Republicans have not only supported this travesty, but when there was some small effort to move money back to the middle class, they cry about a "redistribution" of wealth, that already happened.
Worse, the ones that cry the loudest, have no wealth.
Republicans are like the guy who said, "I can't believe how much it hurt when you poked me in the eye. Do it again, in case I was wrong the first time".

Look out Mr. Rdean-----your head is gonna explode with hatred--another cultural value of yours I assume ?

Forum List

Back