Libs in LA abusing teachers

Then why give them laptops at all?

Just curious.

My students at several schools had laptops. They used them for social media instead of learning how to do the work. They were simply too lazy to look up the information or did not want to watch the videos explaining how to do the work.

My daughter had a school-issued laptop for 6 months in middle school. She thought it was a joke!

Then make them do what you want. They're children.

If they refuse, fail them.

Teachers who fail all of their students get fired. Have a nice day! Let me know when you get back to reality.

If their students all fail, then they deserve to be fired.

I guess you have never heard the expression, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!" If you don't think that is true, you are a dumbass!

That's true of everyone. Some will not drink no matter what you do. So put them in a non-drinking classroom so they don't get in the drinkers' way. That was once the case even in the public system.

I went to private Catholic schools. I was taught to listen and learn, and to teach myself. We had our share of dummies in class, but failure was simply not permitted.

Oh, and this was with a single nun running class. My classes in elementary school ran from 30-37 students.

Apparently it was far superior to the public system .

My students at several schools had laptops. They used them for social media instead of learning how to do the work. They were simply too lazy to look up the information or did not want to watch the videos explaining how to do the work.

My daughter had a school-issued laptop for 6 months in middle school. She thought it was a joke!

Teachers who fail all of their students get fired. Have a nice day! Let me know when you get back to reality.

I guess you have never heard the expression, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!" If you don't think that is true, you are a dumbass!

That's true of everyone. Some will not drink no matter what you do. So put them in a non-drinking classroom so they don't get in the drinkers' way. That was once the case even in the public system.

I went to private Catholic schools. I was taught to listen and learn, and to teach myself. We had our share of dummies in class, but failure was simply not permitted.

Oh, and this was with a single nun running class. My classes in elementary school ran from 30-37 students.

No, the students were superior to public schools students in your eyes because they know if they didn't make the grade or misbehaved, they were getting their ass busted!

I went to elementary school 50 years ago. Things were much different back then. To compare that to today is just stupid.

Nope I just have kids who are learning this way. Classes all online and teachers only there for Q&A. Welcome to the 21st century.

You have kids, as in your own? I had three that are now grown. All of them graduated in the 21st century. One did great with online materials, and two did not. I have taught literally thousands of kids and I say that most do better with an actual warm body teaching them.

I now work for the Army. We have certain training that must be done with instruction and assessment through on-line certification courses. They are the most hated aspects of anything we do.

Yes my own. I think Online is the way of the future. I may be wrong.

All of the information so far says that you may be wrong. My fellow supervisor for the Army is taking classes for the National Guard on-line and he hates every minute of it because he does not retain the information.

We are not used to it. Kids are. We ll see.

Guess what? You are wrong. They use the technology to cheat!

Technology is all around us. It is not cheating. LOL.

No, the students were superior to public schools students in your eyes because they know if they didn't make the grade or misbehaved, they were getting their ass busted!

Grade averages were significantly higher in Catholic and other private systems even then.

I went to elementary school 50 years ago. Things were much different back then. To compare that to today is just stupid.

They were better then, eh? Like 'way better.

Now the public system churns out dummies whose greatest skill is working a smartphone.

You have kids, as in your own? I had three that are now grown. All of them graduated in the 21st century. One did great with online materials, and two did not. I have taught literally thousands of kids and I say that most do better with an actual warm body teaching them.

I now work for the Army. We have certain training that must be done with instruction and assessment through on-line certification courses. They are the most hated aspects of anything we do.

All of the information so far says that you may be wrong. My fellow supervisor for the Army is taking classes for the National Guard on-line and he hates every minute of it because he does not retain the information.

My God, how fucking stupid are you? How is it not cheating?

Just one example, cell phones can have an app that solves high level math problems just by taking a picture of the problem. I could not let students use their phones and they are banned from all types of tests, like the ACT. Certain calculators are banned from the ACT because they can be programmed. If that is not cheating, what do you call it?

Grade averages were significantly higher in Catholic and other private systems even then.

Now the public system churns out dummies whose greatest skill is working a smartphone.

OK, we agree that the past was better for some students. Now, how do we get back there?

We can't, simply because we have lost the ability to hold people accountable. Do you not see that?

I was beaten with a yardstick when I was in 5th grade for something I did not do. How do you think that would go over on the six o'clock news in this day and age?

Just one example, cell phones can have an app that solves high level math problems just by taking a picture of the problem. I could not let students use their phones and they are banned from all types of tests, like the ACT. Certain calculators are banned from the ACT because they can be programmed. If that is not cheating, what do you call it?

That is different. I was discussing her history class. In terms of mathematics, kids who do that are just cheating themselves. Math is about understanding not memorization.

That is different. I was discussing her history class. In terms of mathematics, kids who do that are just cheating themselves. Math is about understanding not memorization.

Whose history class?

Whose history class?

My daughters. I gave an example about her current HS freshman history class. My apologies if you were not the person I was discussing that with.

This was my response to you:

In my daughter's freshman history class. The teacher has created 20+ YouTube videos. The students then view them and can rewind, FF, etc. Grades are based on projects not tests. At first my daughter was dumbfounded but now she loves it and says she learns more this way than any other way. When these kids graduate college and get their first job, there is not a teacher to hold their hand as they learn their respective traits. They are on their own, they can ask questions of peers, boss, etc. The sooner they learn to be self sufficient the better.

Yet another example. All teacher contracts should be state-wide. Have COL adjustments for the different areas, but one contract, none of this local bullshit.

Local school districts should do nothing more substantive than picking the colors for the team uniforms.
Like North Carolina? Were teachers haven't gotten any kind of raise in over a decade and it's a right to work state?
Raising NC Teacher Pay
New Plan Could Raise Pay for North Carolina Teachers. May 25,2016. Senate GOP Pitches TeacherRaise Plan. May 25,2016. Senate GOP Pitches Teacher Raise Plan. May 25,2016.
Key Facts on Teacher Pay in North Carolina

In 2018, North Carolina public school teachers will receive a fifth consecutive pay raise.

• The average teacher pay raise from 2014-2019 will be approximately $8,700, a 19.3 percent increase.
  • A teacher with five years of experience will earn $9,200 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $30,800 to $40,000. That’s a 29.9 percent increase.
  • A teacher with twelve years of experience will earn $15,330 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $31,670 to $47,000. That’s a 48 percent increase.
  • A teacher with sixteen years of experience will earn $12,890 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $37,110 to $50,000. That’s a 34.7 percent increase.
  • A teacher with twenty-five years of experience will earn $9,740 morein base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $42,260 to $52,000. That’s a 23 percent increase.
  • Close to half of all public school teachers in the state will receive at least a $10,000 pay raise compared to 2014 by the 2018-19 school year.

OK, we agree that the past was better for some students. Now, how do we get back there?

Under our current ridiculous social climate, we can't.

Californians don't need education.

Can easily get by with a few hours indoctrination in submission to their betters - The Democrat Party Leadership.

Liberalism being a religion in California, just pop up a few temples where volunteer indoctrinators could work their magic.

Yet another example. All teacher contracts should be state-wide. Have COL adjustments for the different areas, but one contract, none of this local bullshit.

Local school districts should do nothing more substantive than picking the colors for the team uniforms.
Like North Carolina? Were teachers haven't gotten any kind of raise in over a decade and it's a right to work state?
Raising NC Teacher Pay
New Plan Could Raise Pay for North Carolina Teachers. May 25,2016. Senate GOP Pitches TeacherRaise Plan. May 25,2016. Senate GOP Pitches Teacher Raise Plan. May 25,2016.
Key Facts on Teacher Pay in North Carolina

In 2018, North Carolina public school teachers will receive a fifth consecutive pay raise.

• The average teacher pay raise from 2014-2019 will be approximately $8,700, a 19.3 percent increase.
  • A teacher with five years of experience will earn $9,200 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $30,800 to $40,000. That’s a 29.9 percent increase.
  • A teacher with twelve years of experience will earn $15,330 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $31,670 to $47,000. That’s a 48 percent increase.
  • A teacher with sixteen years of experience will earn $12,890 more in base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $37,110 to $50,000. That’s a 34.7 percent increase.
  • A teacher with twenty-five years of experience will earn $9,740 morein base pay in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14 – from $42,260 to $52,000. That’s a 23 percent increase.
  • Close to half of all public school teachers in the state will receive at least a $10,000 pay raise compared to 2014 by the 2018-19 school year.

Good! That puts them about they should have been in 2014.

Under our current ridiculous social climate, we can't.

Thank you! That's the most intelligent thing regarding education you have ever said on this message board! I admit to being in awe!

Forum List

Back