Libs destroying the education system: California mandates gay history be taught

I have no doubt that deans at universities and directors of think tanks and executive vice-presidents at banks and so forth and so on, do indeed do that very thing.

The duty remains for us who are not ignorant to circumvent the would be masters and teach the would be subjects how to critically think....

You are absolutely correct right there and I really view my classroom far differently than other instructors. I have noticed most of them really are very narrowly focused on simply the subject matter they teach and usually only from a very narrow perspective. I view my classes as "preparing the students for life" and the subject matter is simply the medium I am using at the time to accomplish that.

When I discuss that point of view with my colleagues they look at me like I am speaking a completely different language, but then again it's also worth noting that teaching was something I started doing later in life after I had established a successful history in private business and industry. So my perspective is far different than those instructors who teach without having that real world experience to look at.

RDean states below:

They tell their kids "education is just a piece of paper".

Boy do I have news for her as a professor. Without actual experience in the subject matter education IS just a piece of paper and a worthless one at that.

It's a disturbing trend I have noticed where teachers without actual experience have to rely solely upon academic theory to provide information to their students. The problem is that academic theory is rarely very applicable to a real world situation (at least in the manner it's presented). So in essence they are teaching their students a lot of useless bullshit and because they lack real experience the teachers often don't realize it themselves.

I have concluded that teaching should mostly be a retirement profession where qualifications for the teacher are based upon their experience and history in business and industry.

Yea, because all of academics is "just a theory". So stay away from schools. Let those derned liberals go. Right wingers can get so much more from "Trick my ride".

I have no doubt that deans at universities and directors of think tanks and executive vice-presidents at banks and so forth and so on, do indeed do that very thing.

The duty remains for us who are not ignorant to circumvent the would be masters and teach the would be subjects how to critically think....

You are absolutely correct right there and I really view my classroom far differently than other instructors. I have noticed most of them really are very narrowly focused on simply the subject matter they teach and usually only from a very narrow perspective. I view my classes as "preparing the students for life" and the subject matter is simply the medium I am using at the time to accomplish that.

When I discuss that point of view with my colleagues they look at me like I am speaking a completely different language, but then again it's also worth noting that teaching was something I started doing later in life after I had established a successful history in private business and industry. So my perspective is far different than those instructors who teach without having that real world experience to look at.

RDean states below:

They tell their kids "education is just a piece of paper".

Boy do I have news for her as a professor. Without actual experience in the subject matter education IS just a piece of paper and a worthless one at that.

It's a disturbing trend I have noticed where teachers without actual experience have to rely solely upon academic theory to provide information to their students. The problem is that academic theory is rarely very applicable to a real world situation (at least in the manner it's presented). So in essence they are teaching their students a lot of useless bullshit and because they lack real experience the teachers often don't realize it themselves.

I have concluded that teaching should mostly be a retirement profession where qualifications for the teacher are based upon their experience and history in business and industry.

Hmmm ... I think we must work at different kinds of universities. All the ones I teach at, the teachers are working. Most of the criminology teachers are lawyers and police officers either currently or retired. All the science teachers have at least 3 jobs as well as labs at the university. I do not think I have ever met a professor that has not had a real job at least in the past.

Forum List

Back