Libs and Cons

Do you have any friends in real life that are the opposite of you politcally?

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

Yes... I was even married to a social liberal for 12 years....

But I don't have and probably could not have a friend who was a winger along the lines of rdean, Mr. Sheman, etc.... I would not have anything in common with them at all to build any friendship off of

i think the whole point of politics is discussion; most of the time it's great. i imagine the nut jobs don't do to well in the friends department. the right and left nutters i know live outside and beg me for under the table work. they're either too anti-government or too anti-corporate to survive in the real world. it leads me to believe that the homeless dudes on the library computers are posting replies on here or that USMB inspires some people to blow their views out of proportion.

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

We don't talk about it. I operate on an "If you didn't want my honest opinion, you shouldn't have asked" basis, and my friends know it. So they don't ask, and I don't feel compelled to tell them.

Usually, the conflict is with my friends who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, etc. When it comes to personal lives, I don't feel the need to have an opinion unless and until it's solicited (I consider trying to make changes in the law to be soliciting my opinion). If someone tells me, "I'm having sex reassignment surgery", my response is, "Okay. Would you like me to come visit while you're in the hospital?" If you ask me, "What do you think of me having sex reassignment surgery?" . . . well, you probably shouldn't ask that.

I have no libturd friends. Libturds lie and by nature are very untrustworthy. Not only do they lie to themselves but they lie to the world, fine example is obie wan's demagogury of social security. Every time he opens his stupid mouth and blames Bush and the GOP it reinforces my notion that he isn't and wasn't man enough for the job and that fits libturds in general so why would I befriend someone like that? doyathink?

I leave the room when people talk politics (or gossip) when I am at work.

I only discuss political issues with my family and closest friends, all of whom are Republicans or Independents.

Many of my colleagues are Dems, but even more conservative than I on some issues. I do not know any self proclaimed "liberals" They are a very small majority in this country I believe they exist only in Congress, higher ed., and on the internet. Lol

My friends started observing the "don't ask" policy because when someone starts a political conversation around me, I will shut it down with "I really don't want to talk about that, let's change the subject." If they keep trying, I will say, "It's really a bad idea to discuss politics, religion, or social issues with people you want to get along with. Let's change the subject." If they persist after that, I start tearing new assholes until they decide to change the subject. It doesn't take long for new acquaintances to see my point and keep the conversation to non-controversial areas unless they're LOOKING for an argument. I can't think of a single good reason why I should be forced to tolerate a leftist diatribe in polite silence if they're not willing to reciprocate.

None of my friends agrees with me on everything. Most disagree with me on almost everything. We argue, and it's fun...but we never attack one another personally.

Absolutely.

I have several liberal friends.

We get together around the dining room table. Have a few beers and discuss politics. Gets rowdy and just plain fun.

None of us make personal attacks on the other because of our political beliefs.

I certainly wouldn't give up a good friend because his or her politics are different from mine.

I'm an "old right" conservative/libertarian so damn near everyone I know under 80 and above 10 thinks differently than me.:lol:

We never curse each other out or anything though, debates/discussions are sometimes heated but we keep them fun and civil, most of the time we don't talk politics though.

Last edited:

It depends on whether they listen to talk radio or not. If they do, they usually say something clueless that they parroted from some show. That usually turns me ballistic. I can't stand when people don't think for themselves and accept anything that comes to them from the radio.

It depends on whether they listen to talk radio or not. If they do, they usually say something clueless that they parroted from some show. That usually turns me ballistic. I can't stand when people don't think for themselves and accept anything that comes to them from the radio.

I have millions of devoted minions.

Ah come on! Hannity only ask for three hours a day. The other 21 can be used however folks see fit.

Forum List

Back