Libraries? We don't need no stinkin libraries!

And so what if it's a rural area?! 52 pc's mean there were a LOT of people in that rural area.

Jindal is Grover Norquist's favorite puppet, and LA is suffering because of him.

All it means is someone gave them a bunch of old PCs.

It sucks that the libraries will have to stop offering and paying for internet service. Those people can just go back to mailing letter to their kids serving overseas.

Or did we get rid of the post office too?

They can't "post a budget" because there are how many county libraries in Louisiana? Kinda can't believe I fell for that red herring convo change.

If they don't have a budget, Dear, how to they know the cuts will hurt them?

Surely they must have some vague idea of what costs them $500,000 annually, no?

Which county did you want them to include, sweetums?

i love it when you two talk dirty.....:D

Nope. This is a private, Christian school. So try again. :thup:

And that makes a difference to you......how?

They are teaching the Loch Ness Monster exists.

Wel, it was a public school that I attended in 8th grade, but I notice the concepts taught at taxpayers expense in that instance is not something you'd like to comment on.

I guess it's the type of bullshit being taught that matters to you.

Lets see, are we suppose to get our panties in bunch over libraries or schools?

I lost track

It sucks when you have to work within a budget. It sucks when you cant spend more money then you have.
Not only that, I checked out wealth in Louisiana. There are 64,972 millionaires living in the state of Louisiana.. I think they should be invited to a library fundraiser for the parish in question and see what comes of it.

My grandpa used to say, there's always a way to finagle around to get something if it is important enough.

Best wishes to the State of Louisiana in keeping the libraries open through private donations. It has happened before and can happen again if people feel it's truly a goal.

$500,000 budget, of which $30,000 is for books.

Can they post their budget? We'd like to help them solve their financial crisis

Heck, I'd ship them all manner of books if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Why don't you write them, Frank?
The Postal Service has a media mail rate by which you can ship books on a rather modest investment since it is 50% of the cost of regular parcel service. There is a downloadable file on the Postal Service Media Mail Page.

Great thread, BDBoop.

$500,000 budget, of which $30,000 is for books.

Can they post their budget? We'd like to help them solve their financial crisis

Heck, I'd ship them all manner of books if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Why don't you write them, Frank?
The Postal Service has a media mail rate by which you can ship books on a rather modest investment since it is 50% of the cost of regular parcel service. There is a downloadable file on the Postal Service Media Mail Page.

Great thread, BDBoop.

Oh thank you!! I'll share that on FB. :)

I should ask a "reporter" to write a story about how awful my life is because the state hasn't given me free access to daily sailing. Think of how rough it is for all those sailors missing out on fresh air and sunshine? And, getting in touch with the Chesapeake? Such denial of basics.

Oh, and this fucking heat wave? I'm sure we could add a climate change spin to it - that's a winner with the emotional basketcases. :thup:

I bet I could get a lot of bleeding hearts all torqued up with that.

And, just keep any discussion about money to pay for that out of it.
Just for you, Si Modo. :)

Ideal Cruise Ship Host and Hostess Jobs

Louisiana state library funding has been eliminated - latimes.com

One of those parishes is Concordia, located on the Louisiana-Mississippi border. Library Journal spoke to the Concordia Parish Library's director, Amanda Taylor.

“There’s no longer a food stamp office; there’s no longer a social security office. In our rural parish, a lot of our people have low literacy skills and very few computer skills. They come to the library because all of that has to be done online. There are some offices in some bigger areas but there’s no mass transportation and a lot of our people do not have transportation to a place that’s two hours away. A lot of our people have children in the military and they come to email their children that are all over the world on these bases. And almost all of the companies require you to do a job application online, even if it’s just for a truck driver who doesn’t need to be great at computer skills, so it is very important that we offer this service."

Concordia formerly got $12,000 per year from the state, which it used to “keep up all of the maintenance [on its 52 PCs], buy new software, and to buy new equipment as needed.”

With that money gone, Concordia plans not to buy anything new, and hopes all its old equipment keeps working. Maintenance costs will have to come out of the materials budget. In the meantime, Taylor is already working on getting the funding restored. “We are already talking to our legislators about the next budget,” she said. “We are going to work really hard to make the legislators understand how important it is in these rural areas because citizens depend on the public library. We’re going to hope for the Legislature to open their eyes to what we do every day.”

More here.

Update: Louisiana Eliminates State Aid to Public Libraries

Louisiana Division of Administration spokesman Michael DiResto told LJ: “The FY 13 Louisiana budget includes two federal technology grants for the State Library for the purchase of e-books ($1 million), which local libraries can use through the interlibrary loan program, and to provide statewide technology training and equipment for public libraries ($782K) – for a total of almost $1.8 million, which more than makes up for the $896K in direct state funding.”

However, those federal technological funds from the BTOP program are earmarked specifically for providing training, laptops for citizens to check out, and accessible workstations for the blind. As such they cannot be distributed to local libraries to maintain, upgrade, or replace the in-library desktop PCs and servers that were previously covered by state aid. Increased access to ebooks may help make up for lack of collection development dollars to some extent, but since 34-43 percent of Louisiana residents don’t have Internet access at home, ebooks can’t completely replace the lost dollars for print materials, especially in poorer areas.

LJ caught up with several of the smaller Louisiana libraries which are hardest hit by the cuts. Mary Bennett Lindsey, director of the two-parish Audubon Regional Library, operates three libraries and a bookmobile. Lindsey told LJ, “we were getting almost $50,000 [in state aid], which is 10 percent of our budget.” Of that, Audubon allocated $30,000 for books—$12000 more than the system would otherwise be able to spend. “Which isn’t an awful lot when you divide by three, but it’s enough to keep up with the current bestsellers and buying an encyclopedia once in a while,” she said. Audubon used the balance of the aid for technology: replacing 15 computer workstations and covering the portion of the library’s new server which is not funded by the Federal erate program.

With that aid gone, “I’m just going to pray,” Lindsey told LJ. “We’ll just have to cut back on books and hope we get through. If our server goes down or the switches go down, it’s going to have to come from somewhere. It’s not going to come from utilities; we’re barely paying people above minimum wage so it’s not going to come out of salary, we may have to cut hours.”

And further;

**MISSING LINK ADDED** Bobby Jindal: Libraries? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Libraries! | Crooks and Liars

/snip

Yes, poor people rely on libraries for access to the Internet, which is how they search for jobs, learn, read, and other things. Shutting off their Internet access while replacing paper books with e-Books is particularly cynical.

/snip

On the other hand, Jindal has cut taxes six times and is a Grover Norquist favorite. So there's that. Three cheers for oligarchy!

I'm pretty much speechless. Not like a rural library can depend on fund raisers - nobody there has much money to speak of. Everybody that's happy this is happening, what's your solution?

Imagine people having to survive without the government providing them with PC's. Talk about a dependency mentality.

You seriously believe that only people who can afford a PC should have access to the internet? Really? That's your argument.

Talk about weak.

Last edited:
and it is not free...

Maybe if they were better stewards of the money they had, they would still have a few computers and internet service for them.

:dunno:

You're being an ass. You know that, right?
THIS is exactly the mentality causing in such financial trouble as a nation.

Expectation of financial stewardship = being an ass.

Jindal's GOP had stewardship of the nation from 2001 to 2009. They entered office with a balanced budget generating a surplus. By 2009, we had a huge deficit and a financial crisis comparable to 1929.

Really don't need any preaching about finacial responsibility and stewardship from that quarter.

I asked my NOLA friend her opinion on the latest, and this is what she had to say (I have her permission to relay).

Well, the thing is, it's not just Jindal. He couldn't do hardly any of this without the state legislature handing it to him. That bunch of hootin', hollerin', shit-flinging gibbons is at least as culpable for the damage as he is. Maybe more so.

The library cuts are just part and parcel of an overall anti-intellectualism that permeates our state politics. They've cut higher education, they shit their pants when voters insisted they actually give lottery money to the schools like they were supposed to, they're giving public education funds to private schools that teach that the Loch Ness monster is real and is proof of creationism, and now they're cutting the library funding. Like I said earlier, the cretins will probably be coming to burn the books next.

You seriously believe that only people who can afford a PC should have access to the internet? Really? That's your argument.

Talk about weak.

So you believe it is the task of the government to provide everybody with free access to the internet. That's a sick joke.

Why the fuck does it cost $500,000 a year to operate a small library?

I remember when libraries were staffed by volunteers

Going to check the article to see if they show the budget
No child left behind.
Rent = 0
electric = $400/month x 12 = $4800
Taxes = 0
Building maintainence = $1000/mo x 12 = 12000
Librarian salary + bennies = $3000/mo x 12 = 36000
Assistant computer dork = $2000/mo x 12 =24000

Total using "new"(govt approved) math :confused: $500,000

Talk about weak.

So you believe it is the task of the government to provide everybody with free access to the internet. That's a sick joke.

Yes of course that's what I said.

Dumb fuck.

Your logical fallacy is strawman

I see you want to foster dependency. Pretty anti-social of you. But you're too stupid to realize that.

Forum List

Back