Libraries? We don't need no stinkin libraries!

People are commenting on the 'fact' that 52 PC's is indicative of how heavily used they are. False assumption. I went to the library site, 4 locations. How many of those pc's are for patrons? How many for library staff use?

Yes, there are vast differences in the libraries budgets, no argument. However, even for a small library $12k is not going to make much of a dent, one way or another. Anyone can see that for themselves, just look at the audit:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1PrimL0AtcB13ukRQ&sig2=tsudqQriyTHMr4LsfFsmag

Page 7

MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS
FOR THE YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31,2010
INTRODUCTION

This discussion and analysis (MD&A) of the Concordia Parish Librar/s financial performance provides an
overall narrative view of tihe Library's financial activities for the year ended December 31,2010, as compared to
2009. The intent of this discussion and analysis is to look at tiie Library's performance as a whole; readers
should also review the notes to the financial statements to enhance their understanding of the Library's financial
performance.

The Concordia Parish Library's main office is located on 3"* Street in Ferriday, Louisiana in Concordia Parish.
The Library provides library services to approximately 20,000 customers and is a component of the Concordia
Parish Police Jury.

FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
• Assets exceeded liabihties by $5,286,534 and $4,715,947 at December 31,2010 and 2009, respectively.
• Total revenues exceeded expenditures by $570,587 and $596,480 at December 31, 2010 and 2009,
respectively.
• The Library had net capital assets of $1,729,265 and $1,778,501 at December 31, 2010 and 2009,
respectively.
• The total payroll was $268,038 and $265,965 for 2010 and 2009, respectively.

OVER VIEW OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
This discussion and analysis is intended to serve as an introduction to the Concordia Parish Library's basic
financial statements. The Library's basic financial statements comprise three components: 1) govemment-wide
financial statements, 2) fund financial statements^ and 3) notes to the financial statements.
Govemment-wide financial statements. The govemment-wide financial statements are designed to provide
readers witii a broad overview of the Librar/s finances, in a marmer similar to a private-sector business.
The statement of net assets presents information on all of the Librar/s assets and liabilities, with the difference
between the two reported as net assets. Over time, increases or decreases in net assets may serve as a useful
indicator of whether the financial position of the Library is improving or deteriorating.
The statement of activities presents information showing how the Librar/s net assets changed during the most
recent year.
The govemment-wide financial statements can be found on pages 6-7 of this report.
Fund financial statements. A fund is a grouping of related accounts that is used to maintain control over
resources tiiat have been segregated for specific activities or objectives.
The basic govemmental fund financial statements can be found on pages 8-11 of this report.

Last edited:
You're being an ass. You know that, right?
THIS is exactly the mentality causing in such financial trouble as a nation.

Expectation of financial stewardship = being an ass.

Jindal's GOP had stewardship of the nation from 2001 to 2009. They entered office with a balanced budget generating a surplus. By 2009, we had a huge deficit and a financial crisis comparable to 1929.

Really don't need any preaching about finacial responsibility and stewardship from that quarter.

I don't really want to disagree, BUT in 2005, Democrat Kathleen Blanco was governor. She bears much of the blame for the lack of response to the devastating hurricane Katrina. She spent too much time putting on her make up and kept denying President Bush's offer of the National Guard. After the losses of that hurricane, by itself, the state has still not recovered. Jindal took office (after the people had a gutful of democrat malfeasance) and done wonders despite staggering odds. Did Blanco become a republican simply because she was such a bad governor the democrats don't want to admit it?

To address other issues:

The Loch Ness Monster has never been proved to exist or proved not to exist. Certainly the people who live in Loch Ness believe it since many claim to have seen it. Whether someone believes that the Loch Ness Monster exists is not nearly as destructive as what liberals teach when they have very young children read Heather Has Two Mommies or King and King.

You seriously believe that only people who can afford a PC should have access to the internet? Really? That's your argument.

Talk about weak.

TANSTAAFL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq89o7egKFE]TANSTAAFL.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

You seriously believe that only people who can afford a PC should have access to the internet? Really? That's your argument.

Talk about weak.

So you believe it is the task of the government to provide everybody with free access to the internet. That's a sick joke.

Yes of course that's what I said.

Dumb fuck.

Your logical fallacy is strawman

Tell me something, where did anyone in this thread put words together in a way that justifies you making the claim that anyone thinks only people that can afford a PC should have access to the internet? In other words, why do you get to use logical fallacies while demanding that others not do so?

$500,000 budget, of which $30,000 is for books.

Can they post their budget? We'd like to help them solve their financial crisis

Heck, I'd ship them all manner of books if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Why don't you write them, Frank?

this is true liberalism "people are in need" well its all about the cost" had a republican said that she would be all over them.

$500,000 budget, of which $30,000 is for books.

Can they post their budget? We'd like to help them solve their financial crisis

Heck, I'd ship them all manner of books if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Why don't you write them, Frank?

this is true liberalism "people are in need" well its all about the cost" had a republican said that she would be all over them.

You had no clue books were heavy? Really?

From the comments section, by a LA citizen.

Jindal touted his experience in the medical field as reason to elect him to reform the state health care. Result: LA is the #1 worst state for health care. Third world countries have better health care.

Jindal touted his Rhodes scholarship as the reason to elect him to reform education. Result: LA is screaming to the bottom in education, while being #1 in ignorance.

Jindal has cut taxes for the rich, while job creation is one of the worst in the country.

Jindal has jailed more citizens than any other state. Legalized slavery through the prison system and has state sponsored indoctrination of children with xenophobic religious propaganda.

He's a Republican's wet-dream, creating a GOP utopia.

The facts noted above are of course consistent with conservative dogma and the right’s criteria for prioritizing need – where tax cuts for the wealthy trump education and information services for low-income citizens.

Jindal touted his experience in the medical field as reason to elect him to reform the state health care. Result: LA is the #1 worst state for health care. Third world countries have better health care.

Jindal touted his Rhodes scholarship as the reason to elect him to reform education. Result: LA is screaming to the bottom in education, while being #1 in ignorance.

Jindal has cut taxes for the rich, while job creation is one of the worst in the country.

Jindal has jailed more citizens than any other state. Legalized slavery through the prison system and has state sponsored indoctrination of children with xenophobic religious propaganda.

The facts noted above are of course consistent with conservative dogma and the right’s criteria for prioritizing need – where tax cuts for the wealthy trump education and information services for low-income citizens.

Exactly.

when are you going to realize taxing the wealthy isnt going to help low income citizens? Quite the opposite. It's going to drive away the wealthy which will have a negative effect on low income citizens.

its time we actually treated people equally. Tax everyone at the same low rate. Cut non essential government spending. And let the people do much of their own iniative. lets stop burdening the people and instead unleash them.

when are you going to realize taxing the wealthy isnt going to help low income citizens? Quite the opposite. It's going to drive away the wealthy which will have a negative effect on low income citizens.

its time we actually treated people equally. Tax everyone at the same low rate. Cut non essential government spending. And let the people do much of their own iniative. lets stop burdening the people and instead unleash them.

So what? So what if they go. It's not like they're contributing anything worth writing home about.

Come on lefties. Are we going to see this dishonest crap all through summer? Louisiana didn't eliminate libraries as the left wing propaganda screams. Louisiana cut 900,000 from state wide library funding. NYC cut 6 million from the freaking City libraries and lefties thought it was a good idea.

So what? So what if they go. It's not like they're contributing anything worth writing home about.

Except for all those taxes they pay.....

Good to see your true colors, though, cupcake. Remind me not to show you my bank statements. I'd hate for our little romance to come to a screeching halt due to your envious nature.

Good to see your true colors, though, cupcake. Remind me not to show you my bank statements. I'd hate for our little romance to come to a screeching halt due to your envious nature.

Awww. And here I had cleared work to let me go see the bank statements. I guess I'll have to settle for hanging at the dog park, tossing a frisbee.

Since that actually IS one of my favorite pastimes.

Awww. And here I had cleared work to let me go see the bank statements. I guess I'll have to settle for hanging at the dog park, tossing a frisbee.

Good. Maybe a little time spent with an intellectual equal and superior beauty at the park will take your mind off hatin those evil republicans and horrible rich people.

Good. Maybe a little time spent with an intellectual equal and superior beauty at the park will take your mind off hatin those evil republicans and horrible rich people.

We can only hope. :thup:

Forum List

Back