Librarian attacked by profs for promoting 'Marketing of Evil'

jillian said:
Which wouldn't have been an issue if they thought they were doing the right thing.

Off to home now... laterz!
But you thought it was, post #2:

The book preaches homophobia. That ISN'T okay. If this same person had recommended a book talking about how Christians are evil (I'm just using that as an example, not saying Christians are evil).... then it would be appropriate to respond to that type of hatred as well.

Glad the University decided to "do the right thing." I think the negative publicity also played a part. Sorry I missed Kathiannes post updating us on the situation.

I am still, of course, concerned by those here who felt that it was somehow justified to fire someone for suggesting that a person read a book that expressed opinions that differed from their own.

Are these professors truly so offended by an alternative opinion that they feel "threatened?" Or is it that they are afraid that if they ask someone to read a book expressing a differing opinion than the one they choose to espouse...that person might not be as easily swayed by their opinions???

Perhaps I am jaded or cynical. But I find it hard to take seriously anyone who feels sexually harrassed because one man on a campus of thousands recommended a book that he didn't like. I am not offended by people asking me to read Freud or Nietzche, even though some of their theories are blatantly misogynistic. I am not ready to scream sexual harrassment when someone asks me to read a book with a homosexual protagonist (or a heterosexual one for that matter).

I would not be offended to the point of law suit if someone asked me to read a book with a drastically different opinion about a topic than the opinion I held. And I think we should question people who are that offended/afraid of opposing viewpoints...and worried that they are passing this hypersensitivity (in my opinion - faked sensitivity) on to their students.

Gem said:
Glad the University decided to "do the right thing." I think the negative publicity also played a part. Sorry I missed Kathiannes post updating us on the situation.

I am still, of course, concerned by those here who felt that it was somehow justified to fire someone for suggesting that a person read a book that expressed opinions that differed from their own.

Are these professors truly so offended by an alternative opinion that they feel "threatened?" Or is it that they are afraid that if they ask someone to read a book expressing a differing opinion than the one they choose to espouse...that person might not be as easily swayed by their opinions???

Perhaps I am jaded or cynical. But I find it hard to take seriously anyone who feels sexually harrassed because one man on a campus of thousands recommended a book that he didn't like. I am not offended by people asking me to read Freud or Nietzche, even though some of their theories are blatantly misogynistic. I am not ready to scream sexual harrassment when someone asks me to read a book with a homosexual protagonist (or a heterosexual one for that matter).

I would not be offended to the point of law suit if someone asked me to read a book with a drastically different opinion about a topic than the opinion I held. And I think we should question people who are that offended/afraid of opposing viewpoints...and worried that they are passing this hypersensitivity (in my opinion - faked sensitivity) on to their students.

Faked sensitivity is exactly it (imho, of course). Now just when did America become so intimidated by someones' sensitivity that people will go to great lengths to fake it?

dilloduck said:
Faked sensitivity is exactly it (imho, of course). Now just when did America become so intimidated by someones' sensitivity that people will go to great lengths to fake it?

Ha! Good point. I still find the sexual harassment angle BS..

Dr Grump said:
It depends on what is said and the result of said speech....

Wrong. I should be able to run through the middle of the street and scream "I hate *******, I hate jews, i hate spics etc" all i want without any repurcussions from the GOVERNMENT. However, if a group of black guys, jews or mexicans heard me and decided to kick my ass for it, then IMO they'd be justified in doing so. Free Speech comes with responsibility. Free Speech is guaranteed by the constitution to NEVER be restricted by the GOVERNMENT (why all Hate-crimes are unconstitutional). However, free speech can be restricted by individuals on their own property at any point in time.

The case with this librarian is the former. Its a group of people using the government (sexual harassment law) to silence Free Speech.

Forum List

Back