Liberty University-Romney delivers deeply spiritual address, but avoids his Mormonism

Why in the world does the washington post assume a presidential candidate should bring up his particular brand of Christianity in a discussion of his core beliefs? Is it a brand new media priority or does it have a more sinister bigoted agenda?

Why in the world does the washington post assume a presidential candidate should bring up his particular brand of Christianity in a discussion of his core beliefs? Is it a brand new media priority or does it have a more sinister bigoted agenda?

Only conservatives have to answer for their religion. Libs of course are allowed to make mentions to God without being criticized for it.

I was kind of hoping Romney would regale them with tales of Hebrew Submarines and Jesus riding an elephant...

Neither of which is in the Book of Mormon. I suggest actually reading it sometime. That way you wont look so ignorant.

What's in there is equally silly...

The Book of Mormon says that the Nephites road war elephants. Probably plausible in 1830 when they were finding mastodon fossils and didn't know what they were or how old they were. Today, it looks silly. So are accounts of horses, chariots, coins, barely, wheat and other things that didn't exist in the Americas until the Europeans introduced them.

As for the Jaredites riding around in Submarines..

For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you.
— Ether 2:24

And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish.
— Ether 6:7

And thus they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them; and they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.
— Ether 6:10

You do actually read your own book, don't you?

I do read it. What's more is I understand it.

You claimed the Book of Mormon had Jesus riding an elephant. That's a lie.

You claimed the Book of Mormon had submarines. I know this may be difficult to understand, but the scriptures you quoted arent mentioning submarines.

Please. actually read the Book instead of just quoting stupid things other people have said about it.

See what I mean? Your kind had damaged the country terribly.

Your posts show a depth of ignorance, hypocrisy, exaggeration and disingenuous crap that even TruthMocker looks honest in comparison.

You have the intellect of a peanut.

Personal attack after you get called out on a lie you just told? Didn't see that coming.

And what lie did you call her out on?

Do you guys intentionally ignore the clear understanding of what you read or do you seriously just not get it?

Give me the King James Bible verse that states that. Also, when was the last time you heard of a stoning at a Christian church? If you're going to Christian bash then be freaking realistic. If that's all you got, it just shows how desperate you are to hate.

Okay- Give you the verse.

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate.... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you. -- Deuteronomy 22:13

Now, of course, people don't do that sort of thing anymore. Just like we don't burn witches, keep slaves, commit genocide against neighboring nations, or do any of the other totally barbaric shit that the Bible and it's loving omniscient God was totally cool with in the Bronze Ages and in some cases fairly recently. (We were still executing witches as late as the 17th century)

Another point on that subject.

Liberty University apparently has a course in advanced theology that describes Mormonism as a cult.

Mormon Cultist For President!

Hilarious...

Prodestants have been calling non prodestant Christian religions cults for years. That's nothing new. That's what haters do. You of all people should know that.

I would agree that Mormonism is indeed a cult. One just has to look at Avatar's posts to see that guy checked his brain at the temple door years ago.

But that wasn't my point, man. My point was that here you have Romney, a man who apparently has no principles, going to a place that calls his religion a cult. And then never mentioning his religion by name while praising theirs.

It would be like Obama going to Klan rally and never mentioning he was black.

Neither of which is in the Book of Mormon. I suggest actually reading it sometime. That way you wont look so ignorant.

What's in there is equally silly...

The Book of Mormon says that the Nephites road war elephants. Probably plausible in 1830 when they were finding mastodon fossils and didn't know what they were or how old they were. Today, it looks silly. So are accounts of horses, chariots, coins, barely, wheat and other things that didn't exist in the Americas until the Europeans introduced them.

As for the Jaredites riding around in Submarines..

For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you.
— Ether 2:24

And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish.
— Ether 6:7

And thus they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them; and they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.
— Ether 6:10

You do actually read your own book, don't you?

I do read it. What's more is I understand it.

You claimed the Book of Mormon had Jesus riding an elephant. That's a lie.

You claimed the Book of Mormon had submarines. I know this may be difficult to understand, but the scriptures you quoted arent mentioning submarines.

Please. actually read the Book instead of just quoting stupid things other people have said about it.

Those verses sound like they are describing submarines to me. And although I'm being a bit facetious about Jesus riding elephants, elephants are mentioned in the BOM even though we now know that Pachyderms in the Americas became extinct long before the events mentioned. Of course, they didn't know that at the time it was being written, they were just finding these fossils and Joseph Smith wrote them into the story because they sounded cool.

The core values espoused by Christianity and LDS are basically in lock step. Strong families, respect for authority, hard work, thrift, dedicating one's life to God.

Theologically the are far apart, but that doesn't mean they cannot respect each others' traditions.

Christians who would vote against Romney because of his LDS beliefs are an infinitesimal minority, and will be more than overcome by the votes of Mormons who wouldn't vote for Obama if you paid them.

BTW, the Book of Mormon is hilarious. Anyone who reads it with an open mind will see a ridiculous fictional tale, told by someone who is trying to imitate the English in the KJV, but doesn't quite get it. He can't really get the Thee's and Thou's straight, and uses words like "Verily" as though they were seasonings on a salad. It reads like something a high school sophomore would do as a joke.

I'm voting for Mitt. Early and often.

Another point on that subject.

Liberty University apparently has a course in advanced theology that describes Mormonism as a cult.

Mormon Cultist For President!

Hilarious...

Prodestants have been calling non prodestant Christian religions cults for years. That's nothing new. That's what haters do. You of all people should know that.

I would agree that Mormonism is indeed a cult. One just has to look at Avatar's posts to see that guy checked his brain at the temple door years ago.

But that wasn't my point, man. My point was that here you have Romney, a man who apparently has no principles, going to a place that calls his religion a cult. And then never mentioning his religion by name while praising theirs.

It would be like Obama going to Klan rally and never mentioning he was black.

You would call any religion a cult. I don't care.

The core values espoused by Christianity and LDS are basically in lock step. Strong families, respect for authority, hard work, thrift, dedicating one's life to God.

Theologically the are far apart, but that doesn't mean they cannot respect each others' traditions.

Christians who would vote against Romney because of his LDS beliefs are an infinitesimal minority, and will be more than overcome by the votes of Mormons who wouldn't vote for Obama if you paid them.

BTW, the Book of Mormon is hilarious. Anyone who reads it with an open mind will see a ridiculous fictional tale, told by someone who is trying to imitate the English in the KJV, but doesn't quite get it. He can't really get the Thee's and Thou's straight, and uses words like "Verily" as though they were seasonings on a salad. It reads like something a high school sophomore would do as a joke.

But Mitt takes that crap seriously. That disqualifies him as far as I'm concerned.

I do think that there are a lot of funditards who will vote for him because their racism overrules their religious convictions.

But Mitt takes that crap seriously. That disqualifies him as far as I'm concerned.

I do think that there are a lot of funditards who will vote for him because their racism overrules their religious convictions.

I love how a book that inspires good deeds dq's Romney; but Obama who has engaged in the most corruption in history is not dq'd. You have a warped sense of values JoeB.

I love how a book that inspires good deeds dq's Romney; but Obama who has engaged in the most corruption in history is not dq'd. You have a warped sense of values JoeB.

First, I'm just wondering what "most corruption in history" you're talking about here. I've lived through ten presidents, and Obama is probably the cleanest of the lot save Jimmy Carter.

Now I want to clarify- he's clean, but he's not competent. Nixon for all his corruption was a far more effective president. But corruption? Sorry, man, your argument is weak. Watergate, Iran-Contra, MonicaGate, Hell, Obama hasn't even had a scandal bad enough to throw the word "Gate" behind it.

secondly, the only "Good deeds' the Book of Mormon inspires is for the "Saints" as they call themselves to screw over the Gentiles. I met some Mormons back in the 1980's, and never met more backstabbing cocksuckers in my life. (Pardon my French.) And if it makes Romney feel good about himself after he screws the folks at GST out of their pensions and health benefits, I have to wonder about that kind of morality.

One of the main reasons I'm an atheist... so many "Christians" and "Mormons" don't practice what they preach.

Forum List

Back