Liberty through Truth

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
In the scriptures, Christ taught us that "the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

It seems obvious to me that this is correct, but what do you say? Is this true? Will the truth set us free? Conversely, do lies put us in bondage?

Every religion claims this. What seems to vary is precisely what the "truth" is.

As far as I can see, the only truth which sets one free is the final realization that you have always been free.

In the scriptures, Christ taught us that "the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

It seems obvious to me that this is correct, but what do you say? Is this true? Will the truth set us free? Conversely, do lies put us in bondage?

Liberty through Truth - It seems obvious to me that this is correct ...

finding for oneself rather than through scriptures is the only way of learning the Truth.

Every religion claims this. What seems to vary is precisely what the "truth" is.

As far as I can see, the only truth which sets one free is the final realization that you have always been free.

Every religion claims this? Then I suppose you wouldn't have any difficulty finding this teaching in another religion.

We haven't always been free. How is lying to ourselves going to help us become free?

finding for oneself rather than through scriptures is the only way of learning the Truth.

It seems unwise to not use everything at our disposal to learn

Every religion claims this? Then I suppose you wouldn't have any difficulty finding this teaching in another religion.

We haven't always been free. How is lying to ourselves going to help us become free?

Yes. We have always been free. Telling yourself that you are not is the lie. Of course, there is very little more frightening than being free.

Perhaps we have a different idea of what freedom means.

It seems unwise to not use everything at our disposal to learn

the Garden, OuterWorld - Heaven is the teacher of Truth -

scripture is rift with the Forbidden Fruits from within - as false interpretations, what is to be learned, from - in finding the Truth.

The serious answer is, it depends. God (if He or She actually exists) gave man and woman a remarkable brain useful in discerning the truth. Sadly, as Lincoln (who really did exist) noted, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Since some pols (one you favored, btw) were happy to parse the truth, would you feel free if Romney had been elected. Fortunately, he was not which suggests Lincoln was also correct when he said, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. I hope that clears it up for ya.

That is a very difficult question, for the answer may very well be one that you don't want to know. When talking about *the truth*, that could mean several different things, to different people, and due to the nature of the religious text in which it is written, I don't expect it to have been meant literally.

The "truth" that will set me free is not that which I am taught, it is the truth that I know about who I am, what I am, what my makes me complete as a soulful, loving human being. I need to be true to myself, true to my ideals and true to my soul of souls.

There is an expression, a "person is as sick as their secrets" for me to secrete myself and not to honestly share myself with another being whether it be a supreme being or a human being is to subjugate my true self and relinquish my freedom.

Forum List

Back