Libertarianism on the rise in the last three years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    Libertarianism | CNN Poll | On The Rise | The Daily Caller

This sounds nice but my problem is that while people may look at those two questions and conclude that libertarianism is on the rise nowhere was the word "libertarian" used in the questioning. Just because you think the government is generally doing to much, and you don't think the government should promote any kind of values doesn't mean you're a libertarian. It would be interesting to see what percentage of the people polled would actually consider themselves libertarian.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,198
    If people truly understood the roots of narco-libertarianism they would burn them all at the stake.

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    Well apparently you think you understand libertarianism, why aren't you out there burning us up?

4. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,198
    I do my best.

5. Lars

Lars Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Here is a very interesting presentation given by George Mason University Professor Bryan Caplan. Basically, the gist is that in broad terms, people call themselves libertarian, and say they support spending cuts and reductions in the size and scope of government. However, data shows that when you ask most of these self-styled small government advocates about cutting specific programs or specific regulations, a very small amount actually support getting rid of such things. The only libertarian plank a large plurality and a soon to be majority support is Marijuana legalization, and a smaller amount(still not close to a majority or large plurality) support defense spending cuts. But Defense spending cuts and Marijuana legalization are probably the most popular libertarian planks. I say this as an anarcho-libertarian btw.
    Public Opinion for Libertarians | Foundation for Economic Education

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,198
    People think Libertarian=Free Sex and Pot.

Mostly they're right.

7. Lars

Lars Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, those are the parts a growing number of people like, so the exclude all other parts of the philosophy when giving themselves the "libertarian" designation.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    That's not surprising to me. I'm guessing most people who consider themselves "socially liberal" and "fiscally conservative," terms with no meaning, would not call themselves libertarians, and many of those that do call themselves libertarians are exactly what you've described above.

9. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Something is really wrong with this thread.

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,697
    I certainly take the study with a grain of salt. Republicans like to call themselves 'libertarian' when they want seem independent, edgy, or not-at-all-like-the-stodgy-authoritarian-old-school-conservative-mainstream. Or when they want to distance themselves form disasters like Bush and the neocons.

But I do think more and more people are beginning to see real value in the libertarian perspective. I think a large factor in that realization is the fact that there is so little "hope" for "change" in swapping Democrats for Republicans. Even before Obama was elected, the most substantive opposition to Bush was coming from libertarians like Ron Paul - not from the supposed opposition party. The Democrats only beef was that they weren't running things. And the Obama administration has borne that out, as the Democrats have been reluctant to change much of anything of substance.

The sad fact is, we have two authoritarian parties running the show right now. It makes sense that people looking for a real alternative are looking for something to balance that.