Liberals

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
What do you stand for that Conservatives don't? Put it in layman's terms. No links, just what you see as the difference. Examples are welcomed.

-Progress.
-Tolerance.
-Open mindedness.
-Freedom.
-Liberty.
-Equality.
-Truth.
-Justice.
And the American way.

Single payer health care - private free market health care system can work alongside the single payer system, much as it does in countries that already have a single payer system.

Affordable higher education - means tested. Anyone lacking the income but with the demonstrated ability AND the grades to indicate the ambition to do the work and put forth the effort should be given the opportunity to seek free or very affordable higher education at state run universities. A sliding income scale can be implemented.

Sensible basic gun control - This is not an effort to BAN guns, which is impossible.
Background checks, mandatory training, child safety checks, gun maintenance, all incentivized by rewards for good gun ownership.

Environmental quality - regulation for gross polluters, site remediation, water quality and safety, air quality management.

Marriage equality - simply put: keep religious pressures out of state and federal laws regarding civil marriage. Gay and lesbian married couples should not be denied rights enjoyed by heterosexual couples.

DREAM ACT - Children should not be punished or penalized for being brought here at a young age. If they have no criminal record and have demonstrated good citizenship, they should be afforded a sensible path to legal residency with an option for citizenship. Points added for good school performance. Points added for military service.
NOTE: I am an outlier in that I am also in favor of requiring a BASIC command of English as a requirement.

An END to private prisons.

And END to "for profit" civil asset forfeiture programs employed by municipalities as a means for raising basic revenues, i.e., civil asset forfeiture speed traps.

END Citizens United

END partisan controlled gerrymandering - districts drawn by independent panels.

RESTORE Voting Rights Act provisions

RESTORE Consumer financial protection regulations

RESTORE "talking filibusters only"

These are the big issues, many of the smaller issues can and should be worked out through normal legislative processes.

Forum List

Back