Liberals turned into the authoritarians they are supposed to hate

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Liberals have gotten so bad about trying to squelch free speech. Colleges refuse to allow any speakers who aren't avid liberals. Protesters aren't content to merely carry signs around Republican rallies, they insist on blocking highways and trying to shut the whole rally down. The IRS went after conservatives. The media can no longer be relied on to report facts and instead have become mouth pieces for liberal administrations.

Liberals used to defend and seek to protect whistle blowers and protesters against the government. When a liberal is in office, suddenly those things are treated like crimes. Any criticism over Obama's liberal views are called racist. The left uses words, such as 'racist', 'greedy', 'denier', or 'birther' in order to ridicule and shut down free speech rather than debate. They must fear losing in an honest debate and that is why they will do anything to prevent it. They prefer talking points and name calling instead of explaining themselves. If you ask Al Gore to back up any of his claims, all you get is "There is no debate." What they say goes. Period. Even scientists who once supported the global warming crowd find themselves in hot water when they point out faulty data. I guess the left is serious about this no debate thing.

Over-regulation has resulted in so many bullshit laws that virtually anyone is likely to be in violation of something. This is an age-old tactic of dictators. They like having the ability to arrest any person who gets in their way and having a pile of laws in their arsenal makes this easy. If nothing else, the government can kill you without any arrests, charges or convictions. If any of the administration's enemies suddenly disappear, this may explain it.

For most, they just take all the person's money and ruin them that way. The over-used civil forfeiture says that if you have cash it must mean you did something illegal. They simply take all your money and call it good with no arrest and no charges. The cop is judge and jury on the spot. After your money is taken, you are free to go. But, be warned, there are thousands of other reasons they could hurt you. This is the new America.

Liberals today seem to be against people being wealthy, owning property, free speech, having any pride in our country, secure borders, national security, real education, immigrant assimilation, laws protecting the sanctity of our voting system, morals, and liberty to live the way you want or question government when you feel it necessary. The new government is not by the people, for the people. It's against the people. The 'we' versus 'them' has never been more true and it's liberals leading the way for an authoritarian government. The government has become something to fear and that is what tyranny is all about. No politician fears the public. They mock us. They know they have given themselves unlimited power over us and that gives them confidence to do as they please without fear of retribution. Just look at Hillary.

"You don’t have to go back to the days of the Enlightenment, John Locke and the French Revolution (as Mr. Holmes, a former U.S. assistant secretary of state, does in his commendably thorough book) to see this trend at work. Consider the following quote from a famous politician. See if you can guess who said it and when:

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We should stand up and say, ‘We are Americans, and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration’."

John McCain talking about President Obama? Nope. That’s Hillary Clinton. She said it in 2003, in reference to the George W. Bush administration.

But as they say, that was then, and this is now. Apparently it’s patriotic to express your opposition to President Bush, but if you utter a word against President Obama, you’re a lying, racist bigot. And if you deny it? Well, that’s just what we would expect a bigot like you to say.

And so most of today’s liberals (or "postmodern leftists," to use Mr. Holmes’ preferred term) are not championing the right to offer opposing views, as their intellectual forebears would have done. They’re suppressing them.

This campaign to stamp out dissent takes many forms. We see it in Internal Revenue Service witch hunts against conservative groups. On college campuses with administrators meekly bowing to angry demands that politically incorrect speakers be banned. In the push from state attorneys general to investigate groups that question climate change.

Ask Lennart Bengtsson. In 2014, this well-respected Swedish meteorologist working in the United Kingdom joined a group called the Global Warming Policy Foundation, which questions some of the climate change community’s findings. Mr. Bengtsson did so simply because he was concerned that some of the computer-model predictions didn’t match up with actual scientific observations over time.

Big mistake. "Within a matter of days, he found himself in deep trouble," Mr. Holmes writes. "As happened to other scientists who question any aspect of the global-warming ‘consensus,’ Bengtsson was hounded by colleagues to the point that he felt forced to resign from the think tank."

Mr. Bengtsson cited concerns for his "health and safety," saying the pressure made "normal work" virtually impossible, and warned: "It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy."

That’s how far today’s "liberals" have fallen. They’ve become the very thing they once denounced.

And so we wind up in a culture that punishes young children severely for first-time, minor infractions under "zero tolerance" policies. One with so many thousands of federal laws that we prosecute adults for committing crimes that they didn’t even know were crimes."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/9/ed-feulner-leftists-liberal-in-name-only/

132868_600.jpg

hater.jpg

AWM5yMs.jpg

im-a-tolerant-liberal.jpg

Last edited:
the hippy girl meme sucks

I know "conservatives" like to pretend that liberals don't support free speech.

But they only try that sort of shit on campuses, where we've ALWAYS drawn arbitrary lines. They're just trying to move the line to a much more authoritarian position. But on a first principles basis it's the same. You can ban the KKK grand wizard from speaking on campus, you can ban just about anyone.

Punish a student over saying one word. You can do it with any word.

That's a long way from criminalizing speech. That's just classic American education policy...

Kinda funny. Someone lives in a bubble, An interesting piece below and several links to other articles. Worth a read given the rise of Trump.

"For decades, the Republican Party has been winning over authoritarians by implicitly promising to stand firm against the tide of social change, and to be the party of force and power rather than the party of negotiation and compromise. But now it may be discovering that its strategy has worked too well — and threatens to tear the party apart."

They’re still not telling the real story: Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and the analysis you won’t hear on cable news

I know "conservatives" like to pretend that liberals don't support free speech....
Obama_zpsyhdanqwz.gif~original

That's a nice non sequitur

You want to show me where American liberals have tried to criminalise speech?

Shutting it down on campus again is as old as time. And was done by racist and bigoted Christians long before anyone we'd consider a progressive had a voice in America.

We used to have white supremacists debate in the halls of power in this country. Standards change, doesn't mean that these new rules are more or less legitimate than the ones banning racists. But it's intellectually no different without some very subjective views superimposed on them.

edit -
Nowhere in our public education system does anyone have freedom of speech.

I know "conservatives" like to pretend that liberals don't support free speech....

Shutting it down on campus again is as old as time. And was done by racist and bigoted Christians long before anyone we'd consider a progressive had a voice in Amerca

We used to have white supremacists debate in the halls of power in this country. Standards change, doesn't mean that these new rules are more or less legitimate than the ones banning racists. But it's intellectually no different without some very subjective views superimposed on them.
Criminalizing speech? Nice straw man. I didn't say that.

Here's a nice long (and growing!) list of honest liberals who agree that this has gone too far.

I'll be surprised if you read them:

Liberals have gotten so bad about trying to squelch free speech. Colleges refuse to allow any speakers who aren't avid liberals. Protesters aren't content to merely carry signs around Republican rallies, they insist on blocking highways and trying to shut the whole rally down. The IRS went after conservatives. The media can no longer be relied on to report facts and instead have become mouth pieces for liberal administrations.

Liberals used to defend and seek to protect whistle blowers and protesters against the government. When a liberal is in office, suddenly those things are treated like crimes. Any criticism over Obama's liberal views are called racist. The left uses words, such as 'racist', 'greedy', 'denier', or 'birther' in order to ridicule and shut down free speech rather than debate. They must fear losing in an honest debate and that is why they will do anything to prevent it. They prefer talking points and name calling instead of explaining themselves. If you ask Al Gore to back up any of his claims, all you get is "There is no debate." What they say goes. Period. Even scientists who once supported the global warming crowd find themselves in hot water when they point out faulty data. I guess the left is serious about this no debate thing.

Over-regulation has resulted in so many bullshit laws that virtually anyone is likely to be in violation of something. This is an age-old tactic of dictators. They like having the ability to arrest any person who gets in their way and having a pile of laws in their arsenal makes this easy. If nothing else, the government can kill you without any arrests, charges or convictions. If any of the administration's enemies suddenly disappear, this may explain it.

For most, they just take all the person's money and ruin them that way. The over-used civil forfeiture says that if you have cash it must mean you did something illegal. They simply take all your money and call it good with no arrest and no charges. The cop is judge and jury on the spot. After your money is taken, you are free to go. But, be warned, there are thousands of other reasons they could hurt you. This is the new America.

Liberals today seem to be against people being wealthy, owning property, free speech, having any pride in our country, secure borders, national security, real education, immigrant assimilation, laws protecting the sanctity of our voting system, morals, and liberty to live the way you want or question government when you feel it necessary. The new government is not by the people, for the people. It's against the people. The 'we' versus 'them' has never been more true and it's liberals leading the way for an authoritarian government. The government has become something to fear and that is what tyranny is all about. No politician fears the public. They mock us. They know they have given themselves unlimited power over us and that gives them confidence to do as they please without fear of retribution. Just look at Hillary.

"You don’t have to go back to the days of the Enlightenment, John Locke and the French Revolution (as Mr. Holmes, a former U.S. assistant secretary of state, does in his commendably thorough book) to see this trend at work. Consider the following quote from a famous politician. See if you can guess who said it and when:

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We should stand up and say, ‘We are Americans, and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration’."

John McCain talking about President Obama? Nope. That’s Hillary Clinton. She said it in 2003, in reference to the George W. Bush administration.

But as they say, that was then, and this is now. Apparently it’s patriotic to express your opposition to President Bush, but if you utter a word against President Obama, you’re a lying, racist bigot. And if you deny it? Well, that’s just what we would expect a bigot like you to say.

And so most of today’s liberals (or "postmodern leftists," to use Mr. Holmes’ preferred term) are not championing the right to offer opposing views, as their intellectual forebears would have done. They’re suppressing them.

This campaign to stamp out dissent takes many forms. We see it in Internal Revenue Service witch hunts against conservative groups. On college campuses with administrators meekly bowing to angry demands that politically incorrect speakers be banned. In the push from state attorneys general to investigate groups that question climate change.

Ask Lennart Bengtsson. In 2014, this well-respected Swedish meteorologist working in the United Kingdom joined a group called the Global Warming Policy Foundation, which questions some of the climate change community’s findings. Mr. Bengtsson did so simply because he was concerned that some of the computer-model predictions didn’t match up with actual scientific observations over time.

Big mistake. "Within a matter of days, he found himself in deep trouble," Mr. Holmes writes. "As happened to other scientists who question any aspect of the global-warming ‘consensus,’ Bengtsson was hounded by colleagues to the point that he felt forced to resign from the think tank."

Mr. Bengtsson cited concerns for his "health and safety," saying the pressure made "normal work" virtually impossible, and warned: "It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy."

That’s how far today’s "liberals" have fallen. They’ve become the very thing they once denounced.

And so we wind up in a culture that punishes young children severely for first-time, minor infractions under "zero tolerance" policies. One with so many thousands of federal laws that we prosecute adults for committing crimes that they didn’t even know were crimes."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/9/ed-feulner-leftists-liberal-in-name-only/
Wrong again, as usual.

This fails as a straw man fallacy, another ridiculous lie from the right.

In fact, it’s conservatives who, for the most part, are authoritarian and intolerant:

Seeking to deny women their right to privacy

Seeking to deny gay Americans their right to equal protection of the law

And most recently seeking to disadvantage transgender Americans through force of law.

Conservative advocacy of more government, more intrusive laws, all at the expense of individual liberty.

Shutting it down on campus again is as old as time. And was done by racist and bigoted Christians long before anyone we'd consider a progressive had a voice in Amerca

Here's a nice long (and growing!) list of honest liberals who agree that this has gone too far.

Unless you're criminalizing speech, it's just cultural taboos

That's not something liberals control. Certainly not something any liberal in the halls of American power controls
:laugh:

No, liberals have nothing to do with it.

Wow.

That's not something liberals control. Certainly not something any liberal in the halls of American power controls

Wow.

What liberal could you possibly point to? Individuals don't control societal change

You won't find many neo conservatives who break social taboos on words either. It's much broader than liberals.

"what society thinks is taboo has changed boo hooo" lol

Unless you're a Muslim this isn't a problem for you as an American. We assasinate American Muslims for speaking.

Edit - And I deleted the last post because I thought it was a double, sorry for messing up the thread continuity there

Wow.

What liberal could you possibly point to? Individuals don't control societal change

You won't find many neo conservatives who break social taboos on words either. It's much broader than liberals.

Unless you're a Muslim this isn't a problem for you as an American.
I provided a nice, long list of honest liberals who go into quite a bit of detail on this.

You don't want to hear it, you'll deny every example, that's fine. I know how this game is played.

Another rightwing nitwit who has it wrong.

Defending the civil rights of Americans from intolerant conservatives is not the be ‘intolerant’; denouncing the bigotry and hate propagated by many on the right is not to be ‘intolerant.’

And again, your concern for racists and bigots is heartwarming.
The PC Police wub me!

:tongue:

Wow.

I provided a nice, long list of honest liberals who go into quite a bit of detail on this.

You don't want to hear it, you'll deny every example, that's fine. I know how this game is played.

They don't have any social science or anything else that backs them up

They bitch about it on campuses and point to specific policies. Which again is a legitimate debate. But the debate is about where to draw the line, not whether or not it's ok to curtail speech on a campus or public elementary school. We've always curtailed speech on campus, this isn't anything liberals came up with.

As to society in general and what's acceptable, again liberal thinkers in Ivy League schools do not control that. Maybe you could blame the media, but you'd be hard pressed to back that up with any evidence. And no one in main stream media is left wing. They're capitalists...They work for multi national corporations.

Wow.

They don't have any social science or anything else that backs them up

They bitch about it on campuses and point to specific policies. Which again is a legitimate debate. But the debate is about where to draw the line, not whether or not it's ok to curtail speech on a campus or public elementary school. We've always curtailed speech on campus, this isn't anything liberals came up with.

As to society in general and what's acceptable, again liberal thinkers in Ivy League schools do not control that. Maybe you could blame the media, but you'd be hard pressed to back that up with any evidence. And no one in main stream media is left wing. They're capitalists...They work for multi national corporations.
I'll agree with the honest liberals.

And their many examples.

Another rightwing nitwit who has it wrong.

Defending the civil rights of Americans from intolerant conservatives is not the be ‘intolerant’; denouncing the bigotry and hate propagated by many on the right is not to be ‘intolerant.’

And again, your concern for racists and bigots is heartwarming.
The PC Police wub me!

:tongue:

Always amazes me how poorly thought out most conservative talking points are.

You hear a few articulate ones talk about speech on campus, then extrapolate that to blaming highly educated liberals hidden away in offices for changing American preferences on speech beyond recognition.

It's never occurred to you that the change came from outside the campus?

Forum List

Back