Liberals in the military

To get back on topic regarding liberals in the military. Many military people are black, traditionally liberals at least in terms of voting, or Hispanic, many of whom are liberals. If as DMP said only 5% of the military are liberal, what happened to these people? Are only conservative blacks and Hispanics signing up, or do they become conservative as a result of the rigors of boot camp?

Nuc said:
To get back on topic regarding liberals in the military. Many military people are black, traditionally liberals at least in terms of voting, or Hispanic, many of whom are liberals. If as DMP said only 5% of the military are liberal, what happened to these people? Are only conservative blacks and Hispanics signing up, or do they become conservative as a result of the rigors of boot camp?

The military tends to make people more conservative. You see through a lot of the liberal dogmas that don't make any sense when applied in the real world.

Nevertheless, there are a reasonable number of liberals in the military, most of whom are excellent servicemen and women who tend to be the more realistic, open-minded liberals that we don't have many more of these days.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Nuc said:

It has been my experience that while there are some "liberals" in the military the "conservatives" are the vast majority in today's military. What you dont see in the military are "left wing radicals" ala the kind that get all the MSM attention.

Nuc, I have to point out that your implication in the above post about volunteers coming from that strata of society that either don't know about or care about politics is just plain wrong. The men and woman in the services are far more educated, involved and connected to reality than those of the past. Despite what you may have heard, most recruits come from middle class America, the racial make up of the military is pretty much as you find in the civilian population and women do serve (and dies) on the front lines.

My understanding, based on both personal experience and reading, is that among enlisted ranks, the conservative/liberal split is roughly the same as America in general. Among the officer corps, however, the split is roughly 90% conservative/GOP to 10% liberal/Dem.

Nuc said:

What? Please explain this.

gop_jeff said:
My understanding, based on both personal experience and reading, is that among enlisted ranks, the conservative/liberal split is roughly the same as America in general. Among the officer corps, however, the split is roughly 90% conservative/GOP to 10% liberal/Dem.
You must be Air Force (just kidding)!

Almost all the enlisted Army people I know (and it is a LOT) are pretty much conservative. There are a few who I would term as moderate independents. Liberals (if I go by the current sterotype) do not do well in the enlisted ranks so tend to get out in a hurry. Officers tend to be slightly more liberal in some cases, depending on what colleges they attended. By the time most enlisted get their degree, they have usually been in the Army a while so don't get the usual idealistic view of life that college imparts.

I suppose that each service is different.

CSM said:

Almost all the enlisted Army people I know (and it is a LOT) are pretty much conservative. There are a few who I would term as moderate independents. Liberals (if I go by the current sterotype) do not do well in the enlisted ranks so tend to get out in a hurry. Officers tend to be slightly more liberal in some cases, depending on what colleges they attended. By the time most enlisted get their degree, they have usually been in the Army a while so don't get the usual idealistic view of life that college imparts.

That's that I thought. Thanks everyone.

CSM said:

Nope, definitely Army... the oldest service in America! :thup:

I've known plenty of "liberal" soldiers, or at least soldiers who favored the Democrats over the Republicans. I've know many Republican-leaning soldiers. But, among officers, I can count on one hand the number of Democrat/liberals out of the hundreds I knew.

I think there was a study done somewhere... I'll see if I can Google it.

Kind of depends on what you mean by "liberal". I would say there are plenty of liberals in the military. Maybe not politically liberal (Democrat) versus Republicans, but many certainly do live a 'liberal' lifestyle. There are a lot of womanizers as well as....well...sluts. I bet none of you can tell me your outfit didn't have its "floor-whore". And I've even heard airmen talk openly about "paying for the abortion".

CSM said:

If Army officers are more liberal, then THAT is a big difference from teh Corps. Most Marine Corps officers are conservative.

It's been my observation that most entry-level/first-term Marines were fairly liberal in their thinking. As they made the decision to stay and got a little older/more mature, their viewsd became more conservative. Most senior NCOs in the Marines are pretty conservative.

Another thing I noticed was that ethnic minorities and women tended to comprise the majority of the liberal-thinking Marines in the higher ranks.

It makes sense though. The Marine Corps itself is a conservative institution. As you get older and are charged with more responsibility in carrying out the mission(s) of the Marine Corps, the more likely you are to adopt those values.

GunnyL said:
It's been my observation that most entry-level/first-term Marines were fairly liberal in their thinking.

Ah, now I know where they came up with their ideas/story line for the movie "Jarhead". :)

GunnyL said:
If Army officers are more liberal, then THAT is a big difference from teh Corps. Most Marine Corps officers are conservative.

It's been my observation that most entry-level/first-term Marines were fairly liberal in their thinking. As they made the decision to stay and got a little older/more mature, their viewsd became more conservative. Most senior NCOs in the Marines are pretty conservative.

Another thing I noticed was that ethnic minorities and women tended to comprise the majority of the liberal-thinking Marines in the higher ranks.

It makes sense though. The Marine Corps itself is a conservative institution. As you get older and are charged with more responsibility in carrying out the mission(s) of the Marine Corps, the more likely you are to adopt those values.
Same witht the Army and I suppose that even civilians tend to be more conservative as they get older...the flower children of the 60s are certainly not of the same mind! Actually, after seeing some of the responses here I am beginning to think that maybe there are a lot more 'liberals' in the military than I was aware of. I have to say though that the liberal soldier is nothing like the liberal civilian!

CSM said:
Same witht the Army and I suppose that even civilians tend to be more conservative as they get older...the flower children of the 60s are certainly not of the same mind! Actually, after seeing some of the responses here I am beginning to think that maybe there are a lot more 'liberals' in the military than I was aware of. I have to say though that the liberal soldier is nothing like the liberal civilian!

The defining line, I would say, is the hard work and dedication the liberal soldier has over the liberal civilian. The soldier wakes up at 6 and runs, showers, and goes to work and deal with hard-asses. The civilian wakes up at noon, watches CNN, and stumbles into work and complains.

CSM said:

Young people are for the most part, more liberal than older ones. For one, they've been indocrinated by our wonderful public education system.

The ones that become conservative usually enter into a conservative environment, or as they get older, even though they fought "the establishment" for their "rights" when they were younger, the following generation is usually pushing the envelope farther than the precedding one was willing to go. So have our National morals gone, one generation at a time.

The military and its regimentation, is hardly conducive to the true liberals. They usually do their hitch and go. The more conservative ones who are willing to adapt to the lifestyle stay, or try to.

Just my opinion, of course.

GunnyL said:
Young people are for the most part, more liberal than older ones. For one, they've been indocrinated by our wonderful public education system.

The ones that become conservative usually enter into a conservative environment, or as they get older, even though they fought "the establishment" for their "rights" when they were younger, the following generation is usually pushing the envelope farther than the precedding one was willing to go. So have our National morals gone, one generation at a time.

The military and its regimentation, is hardly conducive to the true liberals. They usually do their hitch and go. The more conservative ones who are willing to adapt to the lifestyle stay, or try to.

Just my opinion, of course.
I think we are on the same track here (surprise, surprise!)

Forum List

Back