Liberals... How many of you are going to buy a Chevy Volt?

The purchase of a new hybrid vehicle is a better indicator of household wealth than a doctorate degree. The average hybrid-buying household earns $113,400 a year- more than twice the median household income in America. http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

“One of the biggest challenges for alternative powertrains is that consumers often have unrealistic expectations for the fuel-saving abilities of these vehicles,” Marshall said. “And particularly with hybrids, actual fuel performance often doesn't live up to the vehicle's EPA estimate. There is a real need to educate consumers about the technology and its benefits.” Automotive Environmental Index (AEI) | J.D. Power and Associates

‘In fact, more than half of the Prius buyers surveyed this spring by CNW Marketing Research of Bandon, Ore., said the main reason they purchased their car was that “it makes a statement about me.” ‘http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/business/04hybrid.html

But, even with all the ‘green’ hype, the best-selling vehicles of 2008 were the Ford F-150 and the Chevrolet Silverado, big trucks with big engines. The Year's Best- And Worst-Selling Cars - Forbes.com

When compared to sales of gas powered cars, the Prius does poorly: the 10th place Ford Focus outsold the Prius by 16%. And when buyers looked at the Prius and the Camry at Toyota dealers, 71% picked the Camry. 89% chose the gas powered Camry. Hybrid Sales Figures/Tax Credits for Hybrids

What about the savings in driving a hybrid? “The Altima hybrid improves combined city-highway fuel economy to 34 miles per gallon from 26 mpg in the standard four-cylinder. Even with gas at $4.11, where the national average peaked in July, a driver has to log nearly 159,000 miles to recoup the upfront cost. For someone who drives 15,000 miles annually, the gas savings is $558 a year. That's more than 10 1/2 years of driving — assuming the car lasts that long.” Newsvine - 48 mpg is nice, but hybrids don't add up right now

That is why I have a cheap Toyota corrolla that gets 40 mpg. I filled up my tank on the 4th and I have only used a half a tank as of last night. :D

I leave my pickup truck idling 24 hours a day. I have to fill up daily, but at least it's warm when I get in.

Wow I wish I thought of something like that, I hate getting into a cold car.

Normally I just go out and start it up about 10 minutes before I leave, but that's so inconvenient.

Thanks for the idea!

Just a warning...it can be problematic if you go away on vacation.

I usually pay a neighborhood kid to come by and fill it up a few times.
I'll probably pick a black kid to do it for me, so that way I can get that service as well as run a study on the probability of a black person stealing my car when presented with the perfect opportunity.

Talk about your win-win situations!

That is why I have a cheap Toyota corrolla that gets 40 mpg. I filled up my tank on the 4th and I have only used a half a tank as of last night. :D

That's because you're sitting at home all day long stoned out of your mind with no motivation :D

Forum List

Back