Liberals: How Did The Automobile Get Invented When There Was No DMV?

When they started they had little or no money so they weren't IN the top tax bracket.

Answer Fail! Try to stay on topic please!

Ah, but the Right would have us believe that innovation is being throttled by high taxes. That the super rich 'job creators' have no incentive to do anything because they can't bear the thought of paying an extra 3% on their last million so they'd rather not even make it.

So again, why was Microsoft developed if Bill Gates knew he'd some day face a 70% tax rate on some of his millions?
Again, stay on topic.

I thought the topic was why do we need government incentives for invention and innovation.

btw, the DMV regulates the use of the ALREADY INVENTED automobile. It does not have nor did it have nor would it have had any part in the business of inventing cars.

Your thread premise is shit.

Which is exactly why "liberals" oppose laws on who you can love, how you can have sex, and what you can do with/to your own body based on your own beliefs on questions science can't begin to answer. :cuckoo:

But they want to control everything else you do, which constitutes 98% of human life.

But they want to control everything else you do

Like....?

Whether you have to purchase medical insurance. What doctors you can see. What options your insurance offers. What kind of house you can build. How you can use your land. What you can sell. Who you can sell it to. How much you can charge. How much you pay your employees. What benefits you can offer them or not offer them. What you can buy. What features you have on your automobile. Yada, yada, yada. The list takes up 170,000 pages in the federal register.

Whether you have to purchase medical insurance.

That's more invasive than legislating your sex life? :cuckoo:

What doctors you can see.

Evidence?

What options your insurance offers.

Evidence?

What kind of house you can build.

Evidence?

How you can use your land.

Evidence?

What you can sell.

Evidence?

Who you can sell it to.

Evidence?

How much you can charge.

Evidence?

How much you pay your employees.

Evidence?

What benefits you can offer them or not offer them.

Evidence?

What you can buy.

Evidence?

What features you have on your automobile.

Evidence?

Yada, yada, yada. The list takes up 170,000 pages in the federal register.

And yet you can't name a single thing that is more invasive than the GOP legislative wish-list, to dictate who you love, how you have sex, and what you do with your own body.

The first Automobile in America was made by the Dureya Brothers in 1893 yet the DMV (as we know it now) wasn't established until 1915!

Question for you Liberals: How is it possible that a revolutionary vehicle like that was made without the direct support of a giant gov't agency?

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think your analogy is the best. The DMV exists to regulate motor vehicle use. It has no hand in the manufacturing of automobiles. With 300 million people in this country and the vast majority of households owning more than one car, I would shutter to think of the chaos on the streets without the DMV.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think your analogy is the best. The DMV exists to regulate motor vehicle use. It has no hand in the manufacturing of automobiles. With 300 million people in this country and the vast majority of households owning more than one car, I would shutter to think of the chaos on the streets without the DMV.

That and "the DMV" as a singular entity (i.e. presumably some federal department) doesn't exist.

That's a state function and your DMV (or whatever it's called locally--Ohio has a BMV, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles) is a state-level agency.

How was it possible for Microsoft to get started when the top tax rate was 70% or so?
When they started they had little or no money so they weren't IN the top tax bracket.

Answer Fail! Try to stay on topic please!

Ah, but the Right would have us believe that innovation is being throttled by high taxes. That the super rich 'job creators' have no incentive to do anything because they can't bear the thought of paying an extra 3% on their last million so they'd rather not even make it.

So again, why was Microsoft developed if Bill Gates knew he'd some day face a 70% tax rate on some of his millions?

Your deflection was promptly shit on, give it up......

The first Automobile in America was made by the Dureya Brothers in 1893 yet the DMV (as we know it now) wasn't established until 1915!

Question for you Liberals: How is it possible that a revolutionary vehicle like that was made without the direct support of a giant gov't agency?

The DMV installs traffic lights and road signs? I thought that was the job of the Public Works dept?

So your saying if the DMV doesn't get my car tax (excuse me, registration fees) my car is unsafe and there will be mayhem in the streets?

Liberals: How Did The Automobile Get Invented When There Was No DMV?

French science , Peugeot. There was a DMV when Ford made the big US contribution, mass production and good pay. (Maybe). Actually I think it was De Dion-Bouton.

Last edited:
The DMV installs traffic lights and road signs? I thought that was the job of the Public Works dept?

Next time you're in an accident caused by another driver, and the police are able to track them down because you got the license plate, you can thank your DMV.

So your saying if the DMV doesn't get my car tax (excuse me, registration fees) my car is unsafe and there will be mayhem in the streets?

Next time you go out driving, and you notice that the roads are reasonably safe for driving, you can thank your registration fee.

Unfettered invention, creativity and having the liberty to do so (for profit out of necessity), is something Statists will never understand...only confiscate and circumvent for political purposes.

Great thread. :clap2:

Anarchy suqs...but I WOULD like to build a car/death trap.

Vehicle registration plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first license plates in the North America appeared in 1903 in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Soon after, other states followed suit, with virtually every state ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_plate

Next time you're in an accident caused by another driver, and the police are able to track them down because you got the license plate, you can thank your DMV.
That's actually a good point, but the Police Department has Police Officers, Detectives and BOLO's for such a thing. (When they're not running Radar Guns on us!)
Next time you go out driving, and you notice that the roads are reasonably safe for driving, you can thank your registration fee.
The tax you pay on a gallon of gas is supposed to be used for road maintenance. But congratulations, you did better than all the other Liberals combined! Repped! :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back