Liberals Doctor the Data

If all were as familiar with our concerns, if they were covered by mainstream press and news outlets, everyone would be pretty much right wing.

I respectfully disagree with that. There's a great many concerns on the Left that get little to no traction in the MSM. Stuff that if it were covered would probably convert more folks to the left. I firmly believe that access to more information won't tilt a person any more to the right or left, but it will make them more willing to compromise and work together to address issues.

What's truly sad about the current state of affairs is that I'm finding the comedians to be the best source of information. It seems to harken back to the feudal age where the jesters could say things with greater freedom than anyone else. The opening monologue from the December 1st episode of The Daily Show is probably the best critique of the far left wing I've seen in years.

Why don't you explain to us, PC, why no one has the right to know if Arbitron's data is legit?

Us?

The use of 'us' is generally restricted to
1.Royalty
2. Newspaper editors
3. Those with a tapeworm

Best wishes for your recovery.

As for Arbitrion data, the industry finds it to be accurate.

That is why minority stations, Ed Towns, and Raver are squealing like stuck pigs.
In other words, you can't answer the question. Got it.

I can't be responsible for your lack of comprehension.

[The ratings affect advertising dollars. If the radio stations are suspicious of the data they have a right to know that the information isn't doctored.

That's all there is to it.
If the radio stations believe the data is doctored they can freely use some other service to determine ratings.
Wait, it's the advertising groups that purchase broadcast time who use the rating system. If they doubt the findings they are free to ignore them. Pretty soon that would create a feedback which would be detrimental to the original provider.
If the original provider doctors data they risk their income. If they give the best data they can find, they protect their income.
So unless you are suggesting that a free market enterprise would deliberately sabotage their own profits, you cannot hope to claim they are falsifying data.

On the WMD sidetrack movement - I always doubted Iraq's possession of WMD's just like I doubt that Iran will actually be able to get their program off the ground before the moderates in their society remove the radicals from power.

[The ratings affect advertising dollars. If the radio stations are suspicious of the data they have a right to know that the information isn't doctored.

That's all there is to it.
If the radio stations believe the data is doctored they can freely use some other service to determine ratings.
Wait, it's the advertising groups that purchase broadcast time who use the rating system. If they doubt the findings they are free to ignore them. Pretty soon that would create a feedback which would be detrimental to the original provider.
If the original provider doctors data they risk their income. If they give the best data they can find, they protect their income.
So unless you are suggesting that a free market enterprise would deliberately sabotage their own profits, you cannot hope to claim they are falsifying data.

On the WMD sidetrack movement - I always doubted Iraq's possession of WMD's just like I doubt that Iran will actually be able to get their program off the ground before the moderates in their society remove the radicals from power.

It's very diffiucult to remove radicals. Republicans in this country keep the Iranian clerics in power with all their saber rattling.

Odd that. You would think the religious right here would support the religious right there. Especially, since both religions see Abraham as their "founder".

Last edited by a moderator:
A major difference between the worldviews of liberals and conservatives, is this:
For conservatives, data informs policy.
For liberals, feeling is as good as knowing.

Yeah. Just like "intelligent design". There was a lot of good scientific data behind that.

Are you capable of painting with anything other than broad brushes?

1. conservatives use actual data to decide how to act.

LOL, yeah actual data like some guy named 8ball or ignore an official report on yellowcake and go with the spin in the state of the union message?

Based on your inability to resposd to the thrust of the OP,

Ii seems, then, that we can agree that the following points are beyond reproach:

Technology improved the accuracy of the Arbitron rating system.

Minority stations were hurt by the new system.

Democrats and the less principled (read: Ravi) sprung to their defense.

The opening of the opening post stated the premise that the rest of the post is based on.
I challenged that premise. here is the opening paragraph of your opening post for this thread:

"A major difference between the worldviews of liberals and conservatives, is this:
For liberals, feeling is as good as knowing."

Why flail at the head when you can cut the entire premise off at the legs?

A major difference between the worldviews of liberals and conservatives, is this:

Yeah. Just like "intelligent design". There was a lot of good scientific data behind that.

How about selecting some conservative view that I have championed, so I can give you your due?

1. conservatives use actual data to decide how to act.

LOL, yeah actual data like some guy named 8ball or ignore an official report on yellowcake and go with the spin in the state of the union message?

Ii seems, then, that we can agree that the following points are beyond reproach:

The opening of the opening post stated the premise that the rest of the post is based on.
I challenged that premise. here is the opening paragraph of your opening post for this thread:

"A major difference between the worldviews of liberals and conservatives, is this:

Fair enough.

You have every right,...

but it's pretty obvious why you can't deal with the rest of the OP.

How about selecting some conservative view that I have championed, so I can give you your due?

Well, that's the problem with broad statements, isn't it?

I think we can agree that both sides "doctor the data" when it suits their agenda.

I think we can agree that both sides "doctor the data" when it suits their agenda.

Would this be your rendition of "whistling past the graveyard"?

Not too late to take my challenge.

Would this be your rendition of "whistling past the graveyard"?

Not too late to take my challenge.

It's not a challenge. You've taken the actions of one person, who may or may not be acting in good faith, and applied them (the actions) to other issues (i.e. global warming).

That is a non sequitur.

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. It won't be firmly established on this thread.

My point, and I actually agree with you to an extent, is that both sides doctor data to suit their agenda, and therefore, you are being dishonest in claiming that it is inherent to "liberalism".

The Left Hates real science, they have no stomach for it; they only like hearing the sound of their own stupid ideas repeated back to them

CF, I have a pet theory, that is similar in import to your post:
Libs live in an echo chamber, discussing mostly with folks of their ilk, and hearing only lib ideas...
The MSM and broadcast TV validate these same ideas.

My theory is that libs are not bad people, it's just that we on the right have considered both sides and the libs basically get only the lib view.

So how do you explain Fox News and Rush Limbaugh?

If data source "A" doesn't want their data challenged they'll sure have to open their books to some kind of oversight especially after "A" become the industry standard. Right, wrong, or indifferent to the typical big government protection of patented systems.

I can't recall who but I believe one of the posters made a ridiculous statement like "conservatives" or "the right" or some defamatory name always uses statistics or facts to make policy. Whoever made that generalization invited the comment about the "moral majority" or whoever believing in creationism or intelligent design.

Otherwise when whoever identified themselves with one particular "always logical" group it opened that poster up to the attacks against that supposedly fact reliant group's faith based beliefs.

Fair enough.

You have every right,...

but it's pretty obvious why you can't deal with the rest of the OP.

I don't care about a media ratings/advertising outfit.

btw don't you think it is in the best interests business wise for the media to downplay the recession situation and play any slightly upbeat economic indicator that they can?
The media has a natural bias in reporting economic news and outlooks.

I care a bit about them. If there is only one in use then its a monopoly which thanks to "absolute power absolutely corrupting" must be regulated.

The Left Hates real science, they have no stomach for it; they only like hearing the sound of their own stupid ideas repeated back to them

Coming from a guy who thinks oil magically appears, that's pretty funny.

titan_hydrocarbon_lakes.jpg

The blue spots are lakes of hydrocarbons (Dead dinosaurs pressure cooked in geological times to you) on Saturn's moon Titan.

My point is that hydrocarbons are a natural product of geology, dead dinosaurs pressure cooked in geological times need not apply.

How'd the velicoraptors get to Titan to make your "Fossil Fuel" Theory make sense?

The Space Program has destroyed the notion that Earth based hydrocarbons come from dead dinosaurs.

Coming from a guy who thinks oil magically appears, that's pretty funny.

titan_hydrocarbon_lakes.jpg

The blue spots are lakes of hydrocarbons (Dead dinosaurs pressure cooked in geological times to you) on Saturn's moon Titan.

My point is that hydrocarbons are a natural product of geology, dead dinosaurs pressure cooked in geological times need not apply.

How'd the velicoraptors get to Titan to make your "Fossil Fuel" Theory make sense?

The Space Program has destroyed the notion that Earth based hydrocarbons come from dead dinosaurs.

Talk about connecting the dots.

Are you sure Jesus didn't put it there before he came to earth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back