Liberals Doctor the Data

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A major difference between the worldviews of liberals and conservatives, is this:
For conservatives, data informs policy.
For liberals, feeling is as good as knowing.

Case in point: Arbitron is a radio audience research company in the United States which collects listener data on radio audiences similar to that collected by Nielsen Media Research on television audiences. Arbitron collects data by selecting a random sample of a population in roughly 100 metros throughout the United States. Everyone agreeing to participate is provided a diary for each member aged 12 and older for one week.

With the interest in the collection of more accurate ratings data, Arbitron has introduced the Portable People Meter (PPM). The PPM is a wearable portable device much like a pager or cell phone, that electronically gathers inaudible codes that identify the source of a broadcast, such as a radio station.

Now what happens if the data shows a drop in listenership of minority owned stations?

Washington, DC – Chairman Edolphus “Ed” Towns (D-NY) today announced that the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is set to hold a hearing on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 to examine Arbitron's radio audience measurement device, the Portable People Meter (PPM), and its effect on diversity in radio broadcasting. Specifically, the Committee will examine whether the PPM technology and methodology accurately measure radio audiences and whether PPM has a disproportionately negative impact on radio stations owned by minorities or targeted toward minority listeners.

Moreover, the Committee will address such factors as the effect of PPM as currency in a radio market; the importance of diversity in broadcast media; the impact of PPM on minority broadcasters and communities; and issues affecting sample quality in PPM technology.
Oversight Hearing to Examine Minority Owned Radio Stations’ Ratings Decline

So, let’s review.
If more accurate data works to the detriment of protected groups, the government will legislate that different data be used.

Does this smack of the same kind of procedures the ‘warmists’ dabble in?
Or government sponsorship of NPR?
Or government discussions of subsidies to newspapers?

Here is the difference between equality and liberty.

The Left Hates real science, they have no stomach for it; they only like hearing the sound of their own stupid ideas repeated back to them

Yep the cons were sure of the mushroom clouds and WMD's?

Once again you use a throw-away line, as though somehow it expresses deep knowledge and thought, while actually you are rarely able to compete with actual substantive compositions.

The Left Hates real science, they have no stomach for it; they only like hearing the sound of their own stupid ideas repeated back to them

CF, I have a pet theory, that is similar in import to your post:
Libs live in an echo chamber, discussing mostly with folks of their ilk, and hearing only lib ideas...
The MSM and broadcast TV validate these same ideas.

My theory is that libs are not bad people, it's just that we on the right have considered both sides and the libs basically get only the lib view.

Libs live in an echo chamber, discussing mostly with folks of their ilk, and hearing only lib ideas...

My theory is that libs are not bad people, it's just that we on the right have considered both sides and the libs basically get only the lib view.

You see liberals here on this board every day and this is no echo chamber.

His point was valid.

Ever hear of the Hundredth Monkey Theory? Has to do with the critical mass needed to made a certain new behavioral trait standard throughout the group.

The 100th (Hundredth) Monkey - story about social change (wowzone.com) WOW Poetry, lyrics, music, stories, classics Wish Only Well

Modern Libruls are proof of the 100 Communist Monkey Theory, they have no idea that they parrot anti-American crap on a 24/7 basis, even going as far as to call the Iraq War "Lossssst!" It's group behavior at its finest

Uh...Arbitron has apparently failed to disclose their records and data. You want such things released from scientists regarding global warming but not from a corporation?

I feel that you are, as usual, full of shit.

So you attack the method of communication because you cannot defend against the content?

There was no content to attack.

fine, enjoy your delusions.

Once again you use a throw-away line, as though somehow it expresses deep knowledge and thought, while actually you are rarely able to compete with actual substantive compositions.

Folks are going to think I pay you to support my thesis!

His point was valid.

His point is not valid in relation to this thread.

Now, for your post, it responds to my theory and is accurate.

In fact, it is the reason that I love this board:battles on opposing sides.

And the reason I object to the the throw-away nonsense of posts like the other guy.

Bring it on- but with substance!

So you attack the method of communication because you cannot defend against the content?

What is the content?

Deal with the thead!

...if you can.

Good projection there :clap2:

You are the one who could not deal with the content in my post.

His point was valid.

His point is not valid in relation to this thread.

He was refuting your opening statements by making a point that conservatives will in fact form policy based on feeling. He succeeded.

Now, for your post, it responds to my theory and is accurate.

In fact, it is the reason that I love this board:battles on opposing sides.

And the reason I object to the the throw-away nonsense of posts like the other guy.

Bring it on- but with substance!
This is a great board. I've hung out in echo chambers for both sides. They are good for the lulz but otherwise suck.

Uh...Arbitron has apparently failed to disclose their records and data. You want such things released from scientists regarding global warming but not from a corporation?

I feel that you are, as usual, full of shit.

Any post beginning with the oh so hyperbolic "Uh..." is, as in this case- to use your low level language, "full of shit."

I know it's early for you, but try to follow these points:

1. conservatives use actual data to decide how to act.

2. Arbitron is a private company,not YET owned by the government

3. No one is forced to use the services of Arbitron.

4. Democrats have developed 'Identity Politics,' behaving in an obsequious manner to certain selected groups, those they have determined will keep them in power.

5. PPM is more accurate than the diary system for determining data.

6.The effect of accurate data is to impact negatively on the protected (Democrat) group.

7. Government:"we better threaten the private company to see that they doctor the data."

Have someone explain this to you.

:lol:

The scientists in question in England also work for a private university.

Your entire premise is a failure.

Hope your feelings aren't too badly hurt, PC.

What is the content?

Deal with the thead!

...if you can.

Good projection there :clap2:

You are the one who could not deal with the content in my post.

Forum List

Back