Liberals are less tolerant of the views of others.

What does it really mean to be tolerant of others views...? In what context?

It means actually listening/reading the view of others, prior to comment.

Often times in a forum like this, intelligent people tend to be intolerant of ignoramuses who think their opinion is significant to an issue which is not even a matter of opinion.

Yes but;

Intelligent people tend to be conservative, where the study shows that it is the ignoramuses, the leftists, who are most intolerant of opposing views.

One could write a dissertation on a subject with complete sincerity and have their "views" completely dismissed as part of the greater discussion on a particular issue because intelligent people realize more readily what has already been established as beyond a practical point in the discussion. In going beyond the tedium and repetition of what is and what is not beside the point, or what is apples and oranges, etc...people often get emotional and feel their views have been "dismissed" by others cracking jokes or whatever perceived "intolerance", and it really is because a few people in the room already realize what the ranting ignoramus does not.

Did you have a point?

Please note, this happens on both ends of the political spectrum but... :eusa_whistle:

The study shows that the left side of the spectrum is less open to considering views or facts that challenge the dogma of their party.

I didn't even read the study. I dismissed it. :D

Good post although I would disagree with #3 in that it was percentage based so it could have been 1000 liberals and 500 conservatives but what was shown was the percentage of each.

Also, you have nothing to support your assumption of #4.

Nor do you have anything to back up #5.

Immie

Now that I look at it, you're actually right about #3. The other points are meant just to demonstrate that the survey fails to account for several other alternative possibilities, and as such is flawed. I'm not, in any way, trying to claim that those possibilities are in fact the reality, nor would I suggest that they are the only possible alternatives. Just that the data leaves the door wide open for too many things to be useful to identify any kind of pattern to behaviors. It's little more than a tally card for a handful of people.

I very much agree with your first point, the one about the individual placing themselves in certain categories. I view myself as moderately conservative. I have a lot of views that I would say are conservative in nature that I think people who consider themselves to be conservatives are way off base on. For instance, I see conservatism as being in favor of assisting the poor with things like Welfare and Social Security. I am flabbergasted that conservatives have allowed liberals to steal those issues from them and literally put them on the defensive.

Some would call me liberal because of such views. I consider myself to be tolerant of both sides until I am pushed. Then I become an asshole like everyone else.

I would not put myself in the liberal category, but others might. Thus the pew research is flawed in my point of view.

Immie

What does it really mean to be tolerant of others views...? In what context?

It means actually listening/reading the view of others, prior to comment.

I would disagree with that definition. Being tolerant of others means accepting the viewpoint of another even when they disagree with your own viewpoint. It does not mean adopting said viewpoint. It also does not mean not arguing your case with the person, but rather doing so in a civil manner.

I can be tolerant of Bodecea's viewpoint on gay marriage (or maybe I should say perceived viewpoint) and not agree with her. I can be tolerant of the pro-choice point of view and not agree with it.

Immie

Last edited:
I understand that liberals crack their eggs on the large side of the egg too.

If you aren't tolerant of other people's viewpoints..then you are not a Liberal.

Simple as that.

You just called a whole lot of people LINO's.
a lot of people with liberal views dont consider themselves liberal in the sense of the word. not the way that people who are conservative label themselves conservative.

I am sure all the years of shouting down speakers and cream pies had absolutely nothing to do with the assimilation of knowledge.

on the other hand, my hovercraft is full of eels.

Cute deflection and nothing more.

I was hoping for a more genuine response.

well, my post was as much connected to yours, as yours was to mine.

if you want to get a genuine response from me, try to address what i said, and/or express yourself more clearly.

on the other hand, my hovercraft is full of eels.

if you want to get a genuine response from me, try to address what i said, and/or express yourself more clearly.

I did address it. It was a clear explanation of how bias is developed, something you seem very unwilling to admit.

So before you spout off, how about posting where conservatives have for years shouted down liberal speakers.

Has anyone considered that some Conservatives are just intolerable?

The study was done and it was determined that liberals were the least tolerant. While intolerance can be found everywhere, it seems especially rampant among liberals.

Obama doesn't have press conferences where reporters are allowed to ask tough questions. That whole practice has gone by the wayside in favor of specially chosen reporters tossing softball questions. Then there is AttackWatch. Obama's own actions toward the oppostition, which includes the average American, is a demonstration of intolerance.

I did address it. It was a clear explanation of how bias is developed, something you seem very unwilling to admit.

So before you spout off, how about posting where conservatives have for years shouted down liberal speakers.

thank you for your explanation of how bias is developped.

it is still bias.

i won't hop onto your turnip truck.

but remember the health care town halls?

Has anyone considered that some Conservatives are just intolerable?

The study was done and it was determined that liberals were the least tolerant. While intolerance can be found everywhere, it seems especially rampant among liberals.

Obama doesn't have press conferences where reporters are allowed to ask tough questions. That whole practice has gone by the wayside in favor of specially chosen reporters tossing softball questions. Then there is AttackWatch. Obama's own actions toward the oppostition, which includes the average American, is a demonstration of intolerance.
the study actually never used the word "intolerant" or "tolerant". it pointed out that people with liberal views were more likely to ignore, block or defriend someone on a social networking site for posting view that they disagreed with.

PEW also posted this disclaimer within their article:
"The cohort is so small that it is not possible to do a statistically reliable analysis of trends. But as a rule, there were no ideological differences among those who had dropped someone from their SNS world because of politics."
Overall, these figures suggest that the majority are not actively seeking out friends based on political affiliation or views.

I would disagree with that definition. Being tolerant of others means accepting the viewpoint of another even when they disagree with your own viewpoint.

Tolerating your viewpoint does not require me to change my own, i.e. to accept yours. I tolerate it by acknowledging that hold it, nothing more.

It does not mean adopting said viewpoint. It also does not mean not arguing your case with the person, but rather doing so in a civil manner.

I'm not sure I see the distinction between what you are posting and what I posted.

I can be tolerant of Bodecea's viewpoint on gay marriage (or maybe I should say perceived viewpoint) and not agree with her. I can be tolerant of the pro-choice point of view and not agree with it.

Immie

True.

Forum List

Back