Liberalism in School Management - No More Homework

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Parents In New Jersey Start Movement To Abolish Homework « CBS New York

Apparently liberals in New Jersey say little Tommy and Jenna get too much homework and don't have time for video games. It's makes them work too hard. There solution (which is set to get approved by the school board), NO MORE HOMEWORK!!! Are you fucking kidding me! People wonder why our liberal school systems is failing our kids. Why public schools are no where near as successful as private schools! It's shit like this.

Word to mentally ill liberals, homework is practice! Without homework our kids won't learn and won't succeed! In school, kids get about an hour on a subject. The teacher goes over the subject in board terms. Homework is where the child strengthens what he/she learned in class, practices what he/she learned and goes into greater detail of what he/she learned! It's necessary step for children to learn the subject.

Liberalism is making this country soft. Liberalism is more of a threat to America than radical Islam!

liberals? as in more than one?

from your link:

Now while you’ll find lots of students who want to cut down on the amount of homework, there’s actually a parent who wants to get rid of it altogether. She sent out an e-mail to other parents in the South Orange/Maplewood area, asking them to organize to help abolish homework.

do your reading homework

:rofl:

Funny.

It used to annoy the hell out of me how much homework my kids got. Almost as if they spent the school day doing nothing.

Stupid parents raise stupid kids. What are these kids going to do when they get to college and face an actual heavy classwork load?

Student: "Professor, could you reduce the study requirements for this class please?"

Professor: "How bout' I just mark you down for an 'F' and you don't have to come back?"

When I went to college I was working 4 days a week, 10 hour days. I went to classes in the evening and did homework on my days off. Rare was a day that I had free time. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was looking at my hair one day and remarked, "You're getting a big patch of gray right there!". And I said, "Yeah, that's where my brain hurts most of the time!" :lol:

from your link:

Now while you’ll find lots of students who want to cut down on the amount of homework, there’s actually a parent who wants to get rid of it altogether. She sent out an e-mail to other parents in the South Orange/Maplewood area, asking them to organize to help abolish homework.

do your reading homework

I heard this on the radio on the way to work today. It's more than one and its going to get approved by the school board!

from your link:

do your reading homework

I heard this on the radio on the way to work today. It's more than one and its going to get approved by the school board!

of course it is :lol:

I think there is no question that this is a problem form both sides of the issue.

There are people who think that there is some point to doing homework when it is really nothing but doing idiotic busywork. They want to produce people that follow orders even when the orders are completely STUPID.

I wouldn't do my religion homework my freshman year in high school. I got straight D's. I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Straight A's in math though.

The math teacher in junior year would play games with the homework. He would assign it and 2 out of 3 times not collect it. It saved him checking homework but we would never know when he would not collect it. So a lot of times I didn't do it. Just the 3 hardest problems. But sometimes I got a B because I missed too much homework but I always got A's on the tests.

So if nothing is being learned from homework then what is the point?

psik

Not everything can be learned in the classroom, some of it needs to be read in a book! On top of that homework is many time reinforcement, PRACTICE and getting the information from another point of view. Few students will seek this practice or clarification on their own.

While we are at getting rid of homework, why not get rid of practice for the sports they play in. Have them just show up for games! How do you think that will turn out? You think they will get any better?

I think there is no question that this is a problem form both sides of the issue.

There are people who think that there is some point to doing homework when it is really nothing but doing idiotic busywork. They want to produce people that follow orders even when the orders are completely STUPID.

I wouldn't do my religion homework my freshman year in high school. I got straight D's. I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Straight A's in math though.

The math teacher in junior year would play games with the homework. He would assign it and 2 out of 3 times not collect it. It saved him checking homework but we would never know when he would not collect it. So a lot of times I didn't do it. Just the 3 hardest problems. But sometimes I got a B because I missed too much homework but I always got A's on the tests.

So if nothing is being learned from homework then what is the point?

psik

This has nothing to do with liberalism, this is modern America and modern American parents. I've been married to a teacher since forever and many in the family and friends teach and if one thing is consistent, it is that Americans are getting lazier when it comes to study and work, and that goes all the way to college where reading dense books is now videos. Little Joanie is too busy practicing soccer to study. Where have you guys been? Today there is even a movement to privatize education, now imagine the silliness that will create?

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs The Social Welfare State, beyond Ideology: Scientific American

This has nothing to do with liberalism, this is modern America and modern American parents. I've been married to a teacher since forever and many in the family and friends teach and if one thing is consistent, it is that Americans are getting lazier when it comes to study and work, and that goes all the way to college where reading dense books is now videos. Little Joanie is too busy practicing soccer to study. Where have you guys been? Today there is even a movement to privatize education, now imagine the silliness that will create?

I disagree with Americans becoming lazy. We still work harder and put in more hours than any country on Earth. It's a liberal thing, because liberalism and coddling our children is what is taking place in our schools.

One issue we have is high amount of tax dollars designated for education not going directly to education. They have been going to Highway Robbery Teacher Pensions and for healthcare! These help teachers, but not the students. Pensions should move to the individual 401Ks and health benefits should be paid equivalent to the private sector.

I do not agree with privatizing the education sector. If that happened many selfish or poor parents would not send their children to school.

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs The Social Welfare State, beyond Ideology: Scientific American
Very true the nordic countries do something right and education appears to be one of them.

When I was a kid we had too damn much WORK to do on the ranch, I didn't have time for bullshit homework. Homework, I detested it. I give the sumbitches 8 hours a day of my time and they want another hour or two of my home time. Fuck that shit. I learned to get it all done while actually at school. Study halls, that's what they are FOR. When I got home it was chores on the ranch, mending fences, feeding and watering the stock, breaking horses, taking care of the hogs, chickens, turkeys, weeding and harvesting in the garden, all until well after dark.

But, of course self reliance is dead today. I saw a problem and fixed it myself. But today there's got to be protests, petitions, lawsuits, all that crap as the first thought instead of the last resort.

I disagree with Americans becoming lazy. We still work harder and put in more hours than any country on Earth. It's a liberal thing, because liberalism and coddling our children is what is taking place in our schools.

This doesn't really match up to my personal experiences. Pretty much everyone I went to university with was extremely hardworking, and they were generally quite liberal. The hardcore conservative town I grew up in? People would put cats under their shirts to breathe for them if they weren't afraid of scratches.

Apparently liberals in New Jersey say little Tommy and Jenna get too much homework and don't have time for video games. It's makes them work too hard. There solution (which is set to get approved by the school board), NO MORE HOMEWORK!!! Are you fucking kidding me! People wonder why our liberal school systems is failing our kids. Why public schools are no where near as successful as private schools! It's shit like this.

Word to mentally ill liberals, homework is practice! Without homework our kids won't learn and won't succeed! In school, kids get about an hour on a subject. The teacher goes over the subject in board terms. Homework is where the child strengthens what he/she learned in class, practices what he/she learned and goes into greater detail of what he/she learned! It's necessary step for children to learn the subject.

Liberalism is making this country soft. Liberalism is more of a threat to America than radical Islam!
Yeah, that oughta do it. Thanks very much, Ray.

I'm sure that'll go a long way to improving our achievement gap and test scores compared to other nations.

Why is it the left WANT to be a third world nation? Are they so blind? ... wait... forget I asked that. These truths we hold to be self-evident.

Shorter school days should definitely be implemented, but HW needs to be kept.

Parents make me wonder. :|

Agreed, the current public school environment, sitting at desks in the rows all day memorizing and regurgitating things is not very healthy for the children both psychologically and physically.

However, most parents wouldn't support a shorter day because of their work schedules. In fact, alot of schools go later now to align with their work schedules, throw in after school programs, etc. its too much

The supposition that "NO HOMEWORK" has anything to with liberalism is false.

Aside from that I tend to agree with your POV.

Forum List

Back