Liberal views based on empathy and conservatives based in logic

The op is engaged in some pretty broad and flawed generalizations but let's examine what logic looks like without empathy.

Let's say you have a population of hungry children, without empathy it is quite logical to kill half of them and feed them to the other half until there are no more hungry children, problem solved.

Yeah...that scenario reminded me of a question during the debates for all of the Republican presidential candidates about someone showing up at the emergency room with no health insurance...."Let 'Em Die" was the consensus...at least that's what Ron Paul said and best as I remember none of them disagreed and the crowd applauded.

That's the kind of bullshit which cost the Republicans the election......and will cost them more if they don't recognize the problem and do something about it.

Republican politics is really about fear, their fringe is ruled by fear and the rest fear angering them, I do not see logic as much as a devotion to truisms, things that sound like common sense to them but have little basis in reality, their treatment of the national economy like a household budget scaled up is a good example.

Yeah....like them believing anyone who earns less than $40,000 a month is middle class. Here in Tennessee the median family income is $52,000 a year

You're exactly right but should those who are smarter, more talented, richer etc. RULE all the others?

An IQ regimine assumes that the average intelligence is measured at 100....that there are as many of us with an IQ less than 100 as there are with IQs above. What would you like for us to do.....let those at the lower end of the scale starve or take orders from the elitist assholes who not only inheirited their IQ's but also the money they play around with in the stock market? I say let's come off this unlimited privileges for those at the top and when a war or military action is declared send their asses too. Before long the trillion dollars a year which ends up in the pockets of those who don't even need it can be used to teach those who need a trade to do something within their reach.

What you seem to be advocating is a return to the medieval "prince/peon system."

So you prefer idiots rule over you? Or did you recently become a conservative and start believing that people should rule over themselves and the government should get the heck out of our lives?

The op is engaged in some pretty broad and flawed generalizations but let's examine what logic looks like without empathy.

Let's say you have a population of hungry children, without empathy it is quite logical to kill half of them and feed them to the other half until there are no more hungry children, problem solved.

Which is a perfect example of why I pointed out that the flaws in the OP's generalization. Because this is exactly what "progressive" regimes have done in the past. The fact that your mind immediately went to this as "logical" despite the fact that it's anything but logical is disturbing.

Republican politics is really about fear, their fringe is ruled by fear and the rest fear angering them, I do not see logic as much as a devotion to truisms, things that sound like common sense to them but have little basis in reality, their treatment of the national economy like a household budget scaled up is a good example.

Yeah. Those dang republicans are always trying to scare seniors by telling them the Democrats are going to take away their social security or medicare. They are always trying to scare those on welfare by telling them those evil Democrats are going to take away their welfare. They are always trying to tell minorities to be afraid of those evil Democrats because they are going to take away minority rights.

Oh wait... that's not true at all. Which party, exactly, is the party of fear? Which party is telling people they can't succeed unless the government helps them?

No, Conservatism, aside from progressive Republicans who are as bad as the Democrats, is about empowering people so they don't have to fear. Because when you are prepared, you will not fear.

Which is a perfect example of why I pointed out that the flaws in the OP's generalization. Because this is exactly what "progressive" regimes have done in the past. The fact that your mind immediately went to this as "logical" despite the fact that it's anything but logical is disturbing.

Ah, then you should easily be able to detail how it's not logical.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It's the embodiment of logic divorced from empathy, perhaps a little extreme but in principal it is no different than solving the problem of too many people on welfare by simply dumping them off welfare, people are going to starve and steal, but the immediate problem is solved.

You're exactly right but should those who are smarter, more talented, richer etc. RULE all the others?

An IQ regimine assumes that the average intelligence is measured at 100....that there are as many of us with an IQ less than 100 as there are with IQs above. What would you like for us to do.....let those at the lower end of the scale starve or take orders from the elitist assholes who not only inheirited their IQ's but also the money they play around with in the stock market? I say let's come off this unlimited privileges for those at the top and when a war or military action is declared send their asses too. Before long the trillion dollars a year which ends up in the pockets of those who don't even need it can be used to teach those who need a trade to do something within their reach.

What you seem to be advocating is a return to the medieval "prince/peon system."

So you prefer idiots rule over you? Or did you recently become a conservative and start believing that people should rule over themselves and the government should get the heck out of our lives?

Idiots are ruling over me......they're the Republicans in the house of representatives who are tied to the likes of Sarah Palin, Grover Norquist and the T party.

It isn't a question of "should". They will rule. There are those who seek power and those who do not. I think it a truism that the people who seek power are the very people who should never be allowed to attain it. But the reality is that only those who seek it will attain it. So you are faced with that as a simple fact.

I am not advocating a prince/peon system. However, that is the nature order of human societies. The trick is not to change that situation, it is to make sure the peons aren't crushed by it.

But beginning in the 80's tax rates were cut for the wealthy, money was borrowed from foreign banks to cover the shortfall, the middle class began to shrink and here we are with a dilemma...the bottom sixty percent have been losing ground while those with the most money have increased their wealth more than double, almost three times as much:

mjinequality.jpg

True about the tax rates, though that is not the only reason for our current problems. The fact is that industry is going overseas because it is cheaper there and, in a world economy, it has to go there to compete. It is time we stop fooling ourselves that we can legislate industry back and start dealing with the situation as it is.

I agree the tax rates have to shift up, but that won't do the job. We also have to rethink expenditures and begin to live within our means. Until we do that, nothing is going to change.

Do you believe the government should get out of our lives? Or are we just talking about degrees and which programs?

Forum List

Back