Liberal radio is airing bad jokes and worst taste

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
The United States "is on the slippery slope to theocratic fascism." "The Catholic Church has been secretly encouraging oral sex for years."
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "ought to be tortured." President Bush should be taken out and shot.

Instead, I got 10 hours of rancid venom directed at the President, Rumsfeld, Rush Limbaugh, the Catholic Church and anyone else the hosts felt like slamming. If you're a card-carrying lib who likes crude sex jokes and a cartoonish echo chamber, Air America is for you.

Take one host's linking the talk of "pulling out" the troops with the claim that "that's what the Catholic Church says about premarital sex." Ha, ha.

The network aims to give Dems a media organization to counter Limbaugh and others on the right who dominate talk radio. (What, National Public Radio and The New York Times aren't enough?)

The signing of comedian and best-selling author Al Franken gave Air America a liberal drawing card. But if his three-hour show on Monday was typical, he could sink the ship instead of saving it.

Two attempts at humor were offensive. In his "oy, oy show," set to Israeli music, a sidekick reads news reports - in this case, the murder of the Russian-backed president of Chechnya. Franken's role is to pipe up with a lighthearted "oy, oy, oy." Yep, nothing tickles the ribs like assassination.

Rock bottom came when she compared Bush and his family to the Corleones in the "Godfather" saga. "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw," she said, imitating the sound of gunfire.

During a day of torture by radio, I heard ads for Hewlett-Packard, Greyhound and, especially, General Motors. I asked GM why it appeared in such shows.

Ryndee Carney, GM's manager of marketing communications, said the ads were wrongly picked up from an earlier deal with WLIB. She said the station was ordered to "cease and desist" yesterday, and added: "GM will not advertise on any Air America affiliates."

Full Story

I too wish peop would stick to the issues.
Calling for the killin of our president, even when joking, is not good for anyone.

I like Lettermans' "Bush jokes that aren't really jokes."

A little harmless humor.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
liberal radio won't last long because of this.

There's just no market for shows comprised of lies and koolaid aid perspectives.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
There's just no market for shows comprised of lies and koolaid aid perspectives.

Hmm... I'd say there is a market for most anything in the US. But I suppose you mean a large one.

Oh, come on....you don't think conservatives on radio, including Limbaugh and Hannity do this same kind of stuff every day? It's talk radio aimed at an audience. As for oy, oy, oy Al Franken is Jewish and fond of poking fun at his heritage. As for their being no market for lies....Limbaugh, Hannity O'Reilly, 'nuff said.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Oh, come on....you don't think conservatives on radio, including Limbaugh and Hannity do this same kind of stuff every day? It's talk radio aimed at an audience. As for oy, oy, oy Al Franken is Jewish and fond of poking fun at his heritage. As for their being no market for lies....Limbaugh, Hannity O'Reilly, 'nuff said.

acludem

Like when O'Reily said he and his former show won 2 People's Choice awards or something.

Actually, they won one SIMILAR award a YEAR AFTER he left. Idiot.

O'Reilly claimed that Inside Edition won two Peabody awards while he was working for them. IE has never won a Peabody award. They won two other awards, but only years AFTER O'Reilly left. Limbaugh won't even tell us whether he graduated high school.

acludem

acludem

First, I never heard Rush, Bill, or Sean call for the assassination of any President, or the torture of a Cabinet member. While they do poke fun at liberals (Rush especially) everything they talk about is backed up by fact. In fact, Sean Hannity is one of the best fact-checkers out there. To dismiss his show as "lies" is intellectually dishonest.

they should get rid of yalk radio for both sides. it just creates more seperation between people and hate...america doesn't need that right now!

If the Dems wanted to get started in talk radio,I think Al Franken was a very poor choice. People do not like how radical he is. When you are way to far to one side,most people think it's BS.

As far as taking all talk off radio,that is a bad idea. The people have shown they like it by giving Rush,G.Gordon,and Sean Hannity good ratings.

Originally posted by deciophobic
they should get rid of yalk radio for both sides. it just creates more seperation between people and hate...america doesn't need that right now!
Who is the "they", that should be getting rid of talk radio?

Shall we repeal the first admendment?

acludem

Have another cup of Big Red. You obviously don't listen to those shows so i wouldnt comment on them and make a further ass of yourself.

Actually, G. Gordon Liddy did call for the assassination of President Clinton.

acludem

You specifically said Hannity and Limbaugh. Limbaugh is very conservative and sometimes is overzealous in his support of the president. But he doesnt stoop to Frankens level.

As for Hannity, there is no comparison. Hannity is a conservative but he has very clear, accurate facts. What he doesnt know, he admits. when he's wrong, he admits it. He brings liberals on his show all the time to debate the issues. He disagrees with the president on many issues. He is very fair and honest. Comparing Hannity to these assholes is a terrible insult.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
liberal radio won't last long because of this.

Conservative radio shouldn't have lasted for the very same reasons...but you see what it's become. Both pander to the lowest common denominator.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Conservative radio shouldn't have lasted for the very same reasons...but you see what it's become. Both pander to the lowest common denominator.

Umm yea. You show me where Limbaugh and hannity have had to pay there way onto the air and then stoop to calling for the assassination of the president and having far Right wing pundits on all their shows. Then you might have a point. Till then....

Forum List

Back