Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
thought this was interesting :laugh:

Framing the issues: UC Berkeley professor George Lakoff tells how
conservatives use language to dominate politics
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/10/27_lakoff.shtml
By Bonnie Azab Powell, NewsCenter | 27 October 2003

BERKELEY – With Republicans controlling the Senate, the House, and the White House and enjoying a large margin of victory for California Governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's clear that the Democratic Party is in crisis. George Lakoff, a UC Berkeley professor of linguistics and cognitive science, thinks he knows why. Conservatives have spent decades defining their ideas, carefully choosing the language with which to present them, and building an infrastructure to communicate them, says Lakoff.

The work has paid off: by dictating the terms of national debate, conservatives have put progressives firmly on the defensive.

dilloduck said:
Framing the issues: UC Berkeley professor George Lakoff tells how conservatives use language to dominate politics

By Bonnie Azab Powell, NewsCenter | 27 October 2003

BERKELEY – With Republicans controlling the Senate, the House, and the White House and enjoying a large margin of victory for California Governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's clear that the Democratic Party is in crisis. George Lakoff, a UC Berkeley professor of linguistics and cognitive science, thinks he knows why. Conservatives have spent decades defining their ideas, carefully choosing the language with which to present them, and building an infrastructure to communicate them, says Lakoff.

The work has paid off: by dictating the terms of national debate, conservatives have put progressives firmly on the defensive.

Gosh, many of us on this board are soooo wrong! They aren't liberals, they are PROGRESSIVES! That as opposed to conservatives who are REGRESSIVES. Can you tell the guy is a linguistics expert???

CSM said:
Gosh, many of us on this board are soooo wrong! They aren't liberals, they are PROGRESSIVES! That as opposed to conservatives who are REGRESSIVES. Can you tell the guy is a linguistics expert???

LOL ya I gotta go to the "confession: thread quickly. I was totally unaware that the libs are actually progressives. :huh:

This guy's right about one thing - the Democrats ARE a party in crisis. Other than that, though, he's fulla shit. Conservatives are irretrievably Neanderthal, but they're diabolically clever. Ronald Reagan was a doddering old clown, but he was a GENIUS at communicating his flawed message. George Bush is an illiterate half-wit who has pulled the wool over the world's eyes.

The idea that a public servant can speak the simple truth of his heart is so alien - so BIZARRE to these people - that they're falling all over themselves trying to explain it. And they can't.

musicman said:
This guy's right about one thing - the Democrats ARE a party in crisis. Other than that, though, he's fulla shit. Conservatives are irretrievably Neanderthal, but they're diabolically clever. Ronald Reagan was a doddering old clown, but he was a GENIUS at communicating his flawed message. George Bush is an illiterate half-wit who has pulled the wool over the world's eyes.

The idea that a public servant can speak the simple truth of his heart is so alien - so BIZARRE to these people - that they're falling all over themselves trying to explain it. And they can't.

Aint it amazing that an illiterate half wit can fool so many people? Not only that, but the same half wit managed to amass enough power to be soley responsible for all the evil in the world, the downfall of the United States, and even managed to kill off Superman. Makes ya wonder what a "full wit" could do!

For those who dont recognize it, the above is sarcasm.

Actually it sounds like he has been listening to Rush Limbaugh. Atleast archived clips. Rush has been saying to years because the mainstream media always gave the left a pass the Conservatives have had to use their brains to figure out how to explain their position when challenged. Liberals on the other hand have not had to defend their position and think it out rationally. They have been given a free pass all these years. and now that the MMM no longer has a monopoly on the voice of politics and Libs are being challenged they have no idea what to do.

However, i do disagree slightly. I dont think Republicans have control of the language defining politics. Not yet.

You know it probably has to irk the left's "intellectual" base to no end that Rush Limbaugh, a guy who is uneducated according to their standards, has figured this all out before they have. But then i doubt they are going to admit Rush was right on this one at all.

dilloduck said:
LOL ya I gotta go to the "confession: thread quickly. I was totally unaware that the libs are actually progressives. :huh:

Lets remember the source of this, UC Berkely is now considered on eof the last bastians of protected unchallenged Liberalism.....oops I mean Progressivism

CSM said:
Aint it amazing that an illiterate half wit can fool so many people? Not only that, but the same half wit managed to amass enough power to be soley responsible for all the evil in the world, the downfall of the United States, and even managed to kill off Superman. Makes ya wonder what a "full wit" could do!

For those who dont recognize it, the above is sarcasm.

:cof:

A quarter-wit could outsmart most liberals. (they're typically witless)

Like Rush says, to make it fair he keeps one hand tied behind his back.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Actually it sounds like he has been listening to Rush Limbaugh. Atleast archived clips. Rush has been saying to years because the mainstream media always gave the left a pass the Conservatives have had to use their brains to figure out how to explain their position when challenged. Liberals on the other hand have not had to defend their position and think it out rationally. They have been given a free pass all these years. and now that the MMM no longer has a monopoly on the voice of politics and Libs are being challenged they have no idea what to do.

However, i do disagree slightly. I dont think Republicans have control of the language defining politics. Not yet.

You know it probably has to irk the left's "intellectual" base to no end that Rush Limbaugh, a guy who is uneducated according to their standards, has figured this all out before they have. But then i doubt they are going to admit Rush was right on this one at all.

Well put, Avatar. The beauty of it is, there is no help for this situation - not from the liberal point of view. Explainig their viewpoint rationally is the LAST thing they want to do. They only succeed when they fool enough people about who they essentially are. So, their only defense is to attack rationality itself. All of which would be comical, except that they actually DO manage to succeed from time to time.

Forum List

Back