Liberal profs admit they’d discriminate against conservatives in hiring, advancement

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
It’s not every day that left-leaning academics admit that they would discriminate against a minority.

But that was what they did in a peer-reviewed study of political diversity in the field of social psychology, which will be published in the September edition of the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science.

Psychologists Yoel Inbar and Joris Lammers, based at Tilburg University in the Netherlands, surveyed a roughly representative sample of academics and scholars in social psychology and found that “In decisions ranging from paper reviews to hiring, many social and personality psychologists admit that they would discriminate against openly conservative colleagues.”

A 2007 report by sociologists Neil Gross and Solon Simmons found that 80 percent of psychology professors at elite and non-elite universities are Democrats. Other studies reveal that 5 percent to 7 percent of faculty openly identify as Republicans. By contrast, about 20 percent of the general population are liberal and 40 percent are conservative.

Survey shocker: Liberal profs admit they'd discriminate against conservatives in hiring, advancement - Washington Times

Not surprising at all, but I'm glad it's finally in the open. The Kool Aid drinkers admit they are drinking Hatorade.

May I ask, do you think that the libreal left would have a problem with this? I seriously doubt they care one bit and think it is justified.

I'm a registered republicam and keep my conservative views private for fear of repurcussions

The OP why that is so.............

Last edited:
Same here squeeze. There are plenty of Republicans in my school but we don't advertise esp. since Christie's war on the NJEA.

But how many times on this board have libs tried to argue that colleges are not all left leaning and that diversity of opinion was welcomed? It's all bullshit.

The more they try to argue how tolerant they are, the more they expose their bigotry.

It’s not every day that left-leaning academics admit that they would discriminate against a minority.

But that was what they did in a peer-reviewed study of political diversity in the field of social psychology, which will be published in the September edition of the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science.

Psychologists Yoel Inbar and Joris Lammers, based at Tilburg University in the Netherlands, surveyed a roughly representative sample of academics and scholars in social psychology and found that “In decisions ranging from paper reviews to hiring, many social and personality psychologists admit that they would discriminate against openly conservative colleagues.”

A 2007 report by sociologists Neil Gross and Solon Simmons found that 80 percent of psychology professors at elite and non-elite universities are Democrats. Other studies reveal that 5 percent to 7 percent of faculty openly identify as Republicans. By contrast, about 20 percent of the general population are liberal and 40 percent are conservative.

Survey shocker: Liberal profs admit they'd discriminate against conservatives in hiring, advancement - Washington Times

Not surprising at all, but I'm glad it's finally in the open. The Kool Aid drinkers admit they are drinking Hatorade.

And they are still allowed tenure. Go figure.

Same here squeeze. There are plenty of Republicans in my school but we don't advertise esp. since Christie's war on the NJEA.

But how many times on this board have libs tried to argue that colleges are not all left leaning and that diversity of opinion was welcomed? It's all bullshit.

The more they try to argue how tolerant they are, the more they expose their bigotry.

i feel I'm fighting a war with my fellow republicans that blame underperforming students on unions and "bad teachers"

I work in a high school. By the time they get to us they have had a dozen or more teachers. Do you mean to tell me that they were / are all bad teachers?

The problem is on boards is that most don't challenge others qualifications. I always do. Hence I don't make many friends on the left.

I'm a ground up girl. Rock and roll was the name of my game. My husband on the other hand is a top down U of T dude. I truly look at him and ask why are the cosmos failing to produce more double petals and I freak him out because then I get to accuse him of failing to live up to his student loan.

:lol:
Insider yes you are still paying back your student loan joke.....

ETA: for anyone else who lives with someone who's been at a "higher ed level" on the rating bar you will understand this.

Last edited:

"Beyond their findings on discrimination, the pair determined that while conservatives are minorities in their field, they are not statistically negligible: About 40 percent of respondents identified themselves as moderate or conservative on economic issues, while 30 percent did so on foreign policy issues. The widest divide occurs on social issues, the contested terrain in the culture wars shaking the academy. On these contentious issues, 90 percent identified as liberal and only 4 percent as conservative".

The problem within this study and the use of politically charged labels in general is people are complicated and most do not easily fit into cookie cutter categories as the paragraph taken from the The Washington Times notes.

IMO only those on the fringe of the two major political parties are pure "conservative" or pure "liberal" and many of those are little different than the radical chic of the early 1970's. In other words they parrot what they beleive are the fundamentals necessary to be included in the club, yet have never put their beliefs to critical examination.

i feel I'm fighting a war with my fellow republicans that blame underperforming students on unions and "bad teachers"

I work in a high school. By the time they get to us they have had a dozen or more teachers. Do you mean to tell me that they were / are all bad teachers?

I don't want to give my darlin away here so I will be very careful how I post this. My daughter all she ever wanted to do was to be a teacher.

My whole family are academics. I'm the wild child. I'm not like them. hehehe.:eusa_angel:

T went for it in the great family tradition. McMaster. She did well.

I told her she would hate the "job" though. Within 2 years after all of it she threw away her job because her dream had become a nightmare.

Unions. All of a sudden for her it was all about unions and not her hearts desire to teach.

One day I'm hoping maybe she could rekindle that dream to teach somewhere. She has a heart of gold. And she should be a teacher.

One question, according to the researchers, “asked whether, in choosing between two equally qualified job candidates for one job opening, they would be inclined to vote for the more liberal candidate (i.e., over the conservative).”

That's from the article.

Question:

If the premise is that the two candidates were EQUALLY QUALIFIED, how can it be discrimination if you chose the more liberal candidate, or, for that matter, chose the more conservative candidate?

Yet you probably think this never happens through racial motivations. :dunno:

One question, according to the researchers, “asked whether, in choosing between two equally qualified job candidates for one job opening, they would be inclined to vote for the more liberal candidate (i.e., over the conservative).”

That's from the article.

Question:

If the premise is that the two candidates were EQUALLY QUALIFIED, how can it be discrimination if you chose the more liberal candidate, or, for that matter, chose the more conservative candidate?

True, I guess the same would hold for always picking the equally qualified white guy.

That's from the article.

Question:

True, I guess the same would hold for always picking the equally qualified white guy.

No, that would be racist. Different... not sure how but it just is. Liberal and 'tolerance' - two words that no longer sit comfortably side by side.

The entertainment industry has been that way for years. Conservatives have a tough road there to.

. . . .A 2007 report by sociologists Neil Gross and Solon Simmons found that 80 percent of psychology professors at elite and non-elite universities are Democrats. Other studies reveal that 5 percent to 7 percent of faculty openly identify as Republicans. By contrast, about 20 percent of the general population are liberal and 40 percent are conservative.

I am sure that is so, and that conservative intellectuals at universities do the same. I had a friend who had to go to the Faculty Council to have two of his conservative colleagues to cease and desist their harassment of him.

20-40-40 for liberal, independent, and conservative sounds right.

What is it for Dems and Pubs. I would imagine that the numbers would be close.

That's from the article.

Question:

No, that would be racist. Different... not sure how but it just is. Liberal and 'tolerance' - two words that no longer sit comfortably side by side.

Generalizing statement is generalizing. :thup:

There are intolerant piss-ants on both sides.

That's from the article.

Question:

You're the one calling it discrimination. Defend your position. You oppose affirmative action, correct?

That's from the article.

Question:

What are you saying is 'true'. Are admitting that I'm right? Because my position is that if two people are in fact EQUALLY QUALIFIED, it cannot be discrimination no matter which one you pick, thus,

the entire premise of this thread, at least in view of that example question,

is shit.

Forum List

Back