Liberal News vs FOX... MA. Election

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I guess I'm not the only one that saw it this way. Air America dies, N.Y. Times in death throws, liberal propped up news biting the dust, ah yes and the pendulum swings.

Watching coverage of the Massachusetts senatorial election Tuesday night, I wondered if MSNBC was getting ready to cut off its cable signal to the state. Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, positively enraged that Massachusetts dared to elect a Republican, delivered two hours of nonstop bilious rage toward the state's voters, calling them "irrational" and "teabaggers," engaged in "a total divorce from reality," and hinting that they're vicious racists to boot.

Changing Channels | MSNBC to Massachusetts: Drop dead!
------------------------------
Cable News Ratings for Thursday, January 21, 2010 - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,801,000 viewers
CNN – 594,000 viewers
MSNBC –408,000 viewers
CNBC – 205,000 viewers
HLN –375,000 viewers

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 3,615,000 viewers
CNN – 938,000 viewers
MSNBC –888,000 viewers
CNBC – a scratch w/123,000 viewers
HLN –786,000 viewers

Media is owned by corporations, corporations are not liberal or conservative. They are businesses concerned with ratings and advertisers. If you think media is liberal show me when they do tough stories on controversial subjects. Some Examples: poverty in America and the world, the working poor, the exploitation of workers here and abroad, price fixing, white collar crime, outsourcing effects, lack of healthcare in America, exploitation of government programs by corporations.

Journalists do tend to be more liberal but that comes with the territory in my opinion. You cannot look at life closely and all its tragedies, and not be more liberal and tolerant in respect to others. But lefties or the educated elite as the right labels them need to understand why some look at them as biased and the enemy. This balancing act is the hard part. People remain people, flaws and all, no ranting and raving will change that.

I do think the potential loss of newspapers and their investigative reporters will make the nation less democratic. It is in the areas of investigative reporting that the crimes of the powerful are displayed. When that stops you have partisan BS as Fox faux news demonstrates, and corporate sponsorship of friendly conspirators. If the liberal reporters are viewed as biased too, no one wins and no one listens either.

The Reconstruction of American Journalism : CJR

"But, and this is a mega-but, even though the mainstream media are by this measure liberal, ending the discussion at this point would be a major disservice to both the press and the public. While the personnel tend to share an ideological worldview, most have a personal and professional commitment to the objective presentation of information, a commitment that is not shared by the conservative media. FOX News, The Weekly Standard, National Review, The Washington Times, Drudge, The Washington Examiner, The American Spectator, CNS News, Town Hall, WorldNetDaily, Insight Magazine are all explicitly ideological. FOX makes the bizarre and palpably untrue claim of ideological neutrality, “We Report, You Decide”—a claim it violates so routinely that no one takes it seriously."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. | Media Matters for America

For years I've been saying that adults frothing spittle is not a ratings-getter; one day NYTimes and Err American might actually listen

I enjoy the panel discussion on FOX News at dinner time, so I watch it. During that show on the election night, it was promised that they woul have the election results later. At 8:45, it occurred to me that the results might be in and there might be a sense of the outcome.

Keep in mind that if the Democrat won, nothing in our politics would significantly change.

If the Republican won, the healthcare debate was effectively ended, the Super Majority in the Senate was ended, the president's entire agenda was in jeopardy and the political landscape was dramatically changed.

On FOX News, the Talking Head was reading an AP release that AP had called the election for Brown and the margin was about 5%. Devastating news for the Democrats, the democrat agenda and the supposed popularity of Obama and his charisma.

I listened for a minute and changed over to CNN to check their coverage. They were running a story on Larry King that the buildings in Haiti were still rubble, the dead were still dead and the country was still in big trouble. This would be like leading the Super Bowl Sunday ESPN Nightly Sports with the State High School Swim Meet results from Minnesota.

The banner crawl at the bottom of the screen informed that Brown had "pulled even" in the polls.

Interesting and contrasting approaches between the leading cable news station and the oldest cable news station.

I like the coverage FOX provides but don't necessarily like some of its personalities. For example, Hannity does get a great mix of guests with different views, and those guests stay true to their perspectives. What I don't like is how Hannity tries to ramrod HIS views down their throats. So I'll take in the very interesting views of his guests and then endure his ramblings until the next guest appears. O'Reilly isn't as bad, but he, too, is guilty of staple-gunning his view as the last word rather than respect the view of his guests. That being said, his guests still give very diverse views. As for the straight newsroom coverage, I like Shepard Smith; I think he has THE best news show on TV. He is a true news professional.

What I don't like about CNN, CNBC and especially MSNBC is that they don't even pretend to be impartial. Their bias is so heavy-handed it's sickening. I used to have such high regard for CNN. I don't know how such a prestigious enterprise could sink so low so quickly. MSNBC is a joke. Jon Stewart, who is a great comedian but horrible political pundit, ranks higher in my book than anyone on MSNBC.

So for me, it's not a matter of favoring FOX as it is being so disgusted by the other news networks.

Media is owned by corporations, corporations are not liberal or conservative. They are businesses concerned with ratings and advertisers. If you think media is liberal show me when they do tough stories on controversial subjects. Some Examples: poverty in America and the world, the working poor, the exploitation of workers here and abroad, price fixing, white collar crime, outsourcing effects, lack of healthcare in America, exploitation of government programs by corporations.

Journalists do tend to be more liberal but that comes with the territory in my opinion. You cannot look at life closely and all its tragedies, and not be more liberal and tolerant in respect to others. But lefties or the educated elite as the right labels them need to understand why some look at them as biased and the enemy. This balancing act is the hard part. People remain people, flaws and all, no ranting and raving will change that.

I do think the potential loss of newspapers and their investigative reporters will make the nation less democratic. It is in the areas of investigative reporting that the crimes of the powerful are displayed. When that stops you have partisan BS as Fox faux news demonstrates, and corporate sponsorship of friendly conspirators. If the liberal reporters are viewed as biased too, no one wins and no one listens either.

"But, and this is a mega-but, even though the mainstream media are by this measure liberal, ending the discussion at this point would be a major disservice to both the press and the public. While the personnel tend to share an ideological worldview, most have a personal and professional commitment to the objective presentation of information, a commitment that is not shared by the conservative media. FOX News, The Weekly Standard, National Review, The Washington Times, Drudge, The Washington Examiner, The American Spectator, CNS News, Town Hall, WorldNetDaily, Insight Magazine are all explicitly ideological. FOX makes the bizarre and palpably untrue claim of ideological neutrality, “We Report, You Decide”—a claim it violates so routinely that no one takes it seriously."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. | Media Matters for America

:lol::lol::lol: I love it when the left try to box up the right in a neat little 'dumb as dirt, don't own passports' bunch.

I have a Masters (from Oxford University, UK), spend my time - and my money - helping the less fortunate - in particularly, homeless people. I write for major international magazines, newspapers, work with media organizations across the US and Europe, and I'm a right leaning independent. Damn, I don't fit your profile at all.

You need to look harder at why people choose not to follow the progressive agenda. It doesn't mean we are heartless, mean spirited (who was it who called America mean spirited again? Oh yea, Michelle Obama - go figure), selfish idiots. We are, mainly, intelligent, open minded, Americans. We are no different from you, we just happen to want to live by the Constitution that founded this great nation. We respect our country - warts and all.

I just gave you the ratings my opinion and an extra opinion that I shared in point of view. There is to much vitriol coming from the left and people are tuning out, that is the point.

hinting that they're vicious racists to boot.

Right -- Olberman (how did this guy go from sport nut to left politics, anyway?) was saying SB driving a truck was a "coded racist message." Wow, I guess a lot of people have coded racist messages!

Keith, here's my uncoded message for you: WHITE POWER!

Media is owned by corporations, corporations are not liberal or conservative. They are businesses concerned with ratings and advertisers.

a commitment that is not shared by the conservative media. FOX News, ..... FOX makes the bizarre and palpably untrue claim of ideological neutrality, “We Report, You Decide”—a claim it violates so routinely that no one takes it seriously."

LOL. Media is not liberal or conservative....except when it comes to that EEEEEEEEEvvvil FOX network.

It is interesting That MSNBC, which is the one network with no minority on air talent at all, is the one screaming racist.

LOL. Media is not liberal or conservative....except when it comes to that EEEEEEEEEvvvil FOX network.

Oops, my bad, but on next thought MSM is not liberal. I guess my point is it is more conservative, and can only be conservative. But fox faux news is simply biased for republicans against democrats. When I see coverage of the tough issues that affect working America, I'll change my opinion, till then point held.

California Girl, Not sure what to make of that.

Oops, my bad, but on next thought MSM is not liberal. I guess my point is it is more conservative, and can only be conservative. But fox faux news is simply biased for republicans against democrats. When I see coverage of the tough issues that affect working America, I'll change my opinion, till then point held.

California Girl, Not sure what to make of that.

You don't need to 'make' anything of it. You just need to try to understand it. We are not stupid people just because we choose not to follow a progressive agenda. I dislike the progressive agenda because it is harmful to individuals.

Forum List

Back