Liberal "mainstream" thought these days

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonnie, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    http://www.rightwingnews.com/archives/week_2006_10_15.PHP#006627

2. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,862
    It isn't news that more and more liberals are hysterical fruitcakes.

What is news, is when somebody like Zell Miller or Joe Lieberman, pretty liberal guys in their own right, take a principled, reasonable stand. THAT gets headlines nowadays. And they have to retire or leave their party because of it.

The good news: most voters still prefer the Lieberman and Miller types over the fruitcakes. But the voters are getting less and less choice from their party.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Zell Miller is actually a pretty stand-up guy for a Democrat. I'd still vote for a good conservative over him, but if all the Democrats were more like Zell Miller, I wouldn't be so uneasy about the thought of them running the country.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
  5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    The problem is the Extremists of the democratic party are the most-vocal. Clinton, Kerry, Kennedy, Dean...they should extremist Ideas and call them 'main-stream'. :(

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Actually Jillian I have read and seen some on this board posting stuff very similar in ideology and in some cases yes even tone of DU and smirkingchimp, and tell us that it's a moderate point of view.

Maybe you could give us examples of what moderate liberal
    ideology is compared with extremist ideology??

7. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You also have to consider the source used here. It's a right wing site and will take the extreme democrats for example.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Moveon.org is one of the biggest fundraisers now for the DNC. They promote the same ideals as DU and other liberal sites of the like. To say that these ideas arent mainstream is alittle naive. When the biggest moneymaker in the party is promoting those ideals, i think that makes them mainstream at least for the leaders in the party to promote.

As for the substance of the article. I'm all for a revolution to overthrow the whole government, not just the parts I don't like. It needs to be torn down and started from scratch with the SAME constitution the way the founders intended. Thomas Jefferson once said that overthrowing the government every few decades was a good way to keep it in line. I fear that we will never be able to achieve that control over the government ever again.

9. UnAmericanYOU

UnAmericanYOU VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    When people refer to themselves as "centrists", "beyond simplistic labels" or "moderates", look out.

She won't, but I will. The philosophy of the DLC, above and between the two extremes.

Examples? Education, opposition to school vouchers but pro-NCLB and "choice" of public schools only. Economics, pro-Americorps, pro-expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit, pro-welfare-to-work. Social Secuiry reform, some privatization but an opposition to financing private retirement accounts with large amounts of borrowed money.

Sometimes yes-Bush, sometimes no. No on partial-birth abortion, the DLC also urged Senate Democrats to vote against Bush's nomination of Samuel Alito to the SCOTUS "on principle", but firmly opposed a filibuster.

The problem with this - triangulation - is that it involves concession after concession to the opposition and lacks "moral clarity".

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I don't think it involves either concession to the opposition or lacks moral clarity. There is a strong sense of fiscal responsibility tempered by social concerns... what "compassionate conservatism" should have been in the main. I think it also shows an ability to compromise to get things done when necessary as opposed to ramming one's agenda down the throats of the opposition simply because you can because, as we all know, what goes around comes around.

Pretty good job on the political positions. I actually would have answered, but I left work to get my kiddle. ;)