Liberal Lies About Homeschooling

I am curious about how many, what per cent, of home school parents are accredited teachers.

Just axing..

To think being an 'accredited teacher' means dot in homeschooling would be a fallacy. Yes, I am accredited and no, I did not homeschool.

There are good and not so good private schools. For many, tuition is beyond their capabilities. Then again, for many homeschooling is also.

One doesn't need a teaching degree or even a college degree to homeschool, but one must be educated enough to be able to find the resources to create and execute a curriculum, understand the laws of your state regarding homeschooling, have the discipline to adhere to the curriculum, etc.

200 Free Online Classes to Learn Anything | OEDb

One can get a better education via the web and iTunes University than one can in a public school.

I can find thousands of hours of free instructional and lecture videos with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Nothing fits all. Some kids, even the gifted would do horribly with your model. Truth is, a mix is nearly always best. That makes regular schools tough to beat, given a certain bottom level.

I live in an area of excellent public schools, in my district over 80% go from 12th grade to 4 year university. Another 12% go to the community college. 2% go into military. 96% graduation rate. Of course the socioeconomic factors are also not the norm. In the high school my kids went to: 78% of parents had some college. 68% have BA/BS. 25% have post-grad degrees. Needless to say, few of these kids are going to be the first in their families to finish college. Still, in this area homeschooling is very big compared to the nation. Why? The parents want the best education for their kids.

Then again, our public school administration has been pretty accomodating towards the homeschooled. They lend textbooks, they help with getting standardized testing completed, they allow homeschooled into both sports and social activiites. Why? I'm guessing both the parents and the administration knows that these parents have the means to take the legal venues. OTOH, the parents want all the documentation they can gather for their kids, often applying for very selective secondary and/or universities.

I never understood why it has to be all or nothing with homeschool. If you homeschool your kid and he wants to learn French or Calculus which you are incapable of teaching, why can't he go to regular school for two hours a day? Is it the parents who do not want their kid to touch public school or the schools putting it to homeschool parents?

I never understood why it has to be all or nothing with homeschool. If you homeschool your kid and he wants to learn French or Calculus which you are incapable of teaching, why can't he go to regular school for two hours a day? Is it the parents who do not want their kid to touch public school or the schools putting it to homeschool parents?

Some of both, from what I'm aware of.

When I went through it with m kids (10+ years ago), I was very fortunate to be in a school district very friendly to homeschoolers. We worked it out through an ad-hoc combination of home coursework, part-time public classes and classes at the local community college.

But I've heard stories of districts that took a more adversarial, all-or-nothing approach to the homeschoolers in their midst.

Then again, our public school administration has been pretty accomodating towards the homeschooled. They lend textbooks, they help with getting standardized testing completed, they allow homeschooled into both sports and social activiites. Why?

I had a similar experience. I found out a few years after the fact that the policy was, at least to some degree, a pragmatic funding issue. The schools were getting funds based on the number of students enrolled. So they had an incentive to play ball with homeschoolers and keep them on the rolls in some form.

Some of both, from what I'm aware of.

When I went through it with m kids (10+ years ago), I was very fortunate to be in a school district very friendly to homeschoolers. We worked it out through an ad-hoc combination of home coursework, part-time public classes and classes at the local community college.

But I've heard stories of districts that took a more adversarial, all-or-nothing approach to the homeschoolers in their midst.

Seems strange....Homeschool parents pay the same taxes yet do not use school resources. Seems like a big plus for the schools. If the kid wants to take advanced Chemistry or AP Calculus, it seems he should have full access to the class. The only difference is he doesn't qualify for a diploma

Homeschooling is for parents who don't want their kids to release people never rode dinosaurs.

Homeschooling is for parents who don't want their kids to release people never rode dinosaurs.

I had a family of religious fundamentalists who lived next door that believed just that. She home schooled her young kids to a Christian agenda. Her kids were dumb as shit and most days they were just running around

One can get a better education via the web and iTunes University than one can in a public school.

I can find thousands of hours of free instructional and lecture videos with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Nothing fits all. Some kids, even the gifted would do horribly with your model. Truth is, a mix is nearly always best. That makes regular schools tough to beat, given a certain bottom level.

I live in an area of excellent public schools, in my district over 80% go from 12th grade to 4 year university. Another 12% go to the community college. 2% go into military. 96% graduation rate. Of course the socioeconomic factors are also not the norm. In the high school my kids went to: 78% of parents had some college. 68% have BA/BS. 25% have post-grad degrees. Needless to say, few of these kids are going to be the first in their families to finish college. Still, in this area homeschooling is very big compared to the nation. Why? The parents want the best education for their kids.

Then again, our public school administration has been pretty accomodating towards the homeschooled. They lend textbooks, they help with getting standardized testing completed, they allow homeschooled into both sports and social activiites. Why? I'm guessing both the parents and the administration knows that these parents have the means to take the legal venues. OTOH, the parents want all the documentation they can gather for their kids, often applying for very selective secondary and/or universities.

As someone else wrote, some school districts are open to allowing the homeschoolers in for certain classes. There are also networks where tradeoffs can be made, perhaps foreign languages for math. There are also literally hundreds of online sites for math. Public libraries often have extensive foreign language programs for both children and adults.

As someone else wrote, some school districts are open to allowing the homeschoolers in for certain classes. There are also networks where tradeoffs can be made, perhaps foreign languages for math. There are also literally hundreds of online sites for math. Public libraries often have extensive foreign language programs for both children and adults.

Still doesn't cover AP courses or courses where you need special facilities like Chemistry
0r Computer Science

Still doesn't cover AP courses or courses where you need special facilities like Chemistry
0r Computer Science

I actually thought this might be problematic, it isn't. Makes perfect sense, while the weighted grade depends upon the school standards, ultimately the credits for college comes from passing a standardized test in subject.

Homeschool World: Practical Homeschooling Articles: AP Courses At Home

Registering for AP Courses & AP Exams

I am curious about how many, what per cent, of home school parents are accredited teachers.

Just axing..

My guess would be very few. There are circumstance when home schooling serves the child's needs best. A child who has special needs may do better with homeschooling.

Last edited:

Why do you assume one has to attend a government funded school to learn calculus or French?

Precalculus

BBC - Learn French with free online lessons

Why do you assume one has to attend a government funded school to learn calculus or French?

Precalculus

The issue is....if it is there, why shouldn't you be able to take advantage of local courses at your own high school that you cannot teach at home?

Are you that afraid of GUBMINT schools?

Precalculus

The issue is....if it is there, why shouldn't you be able to take advantage of local courses at your own high school that you cannot teach at home?

I posted before he did, not taking courses at the local high school, when not necessary. However, about taking AP and such. Why are you ignoring that time after time, I've not only answered your queries, but given links?

Why would you not consider that some folks, religious and not, might find that the alternatives to public or even private schools are worth searching out?

I certainly don't think they are for every parent, much less every child. I do think though that the alternative should be available. I also acknowledge that when there is a firm commitment for the child's education, a commitment most are incapable of, it's usually superior to the public or private route.

Precalculus

No I am just secure in the knowledge that I can learn more on my own than I can from public schools.

BTW how many people who took French in public school have any fluency 20 years later?

Seems to me public schools suck at teaching foreign languages.

Precalculus

No I am just secure in the knowledge that I can learn more on my own than I can from public schools.

BTW how many people who took French in public school have any fluency 20 years later?

I took Spanish in public school and cannot speak a lick. The reason is that I have had little use for it in the last 40 years. I also can't diagram a sentence or remember Roman Numerals

Why are you so afraid of public schools ? If you home schooled and your local school had an excellent calculus program, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of it?

Last edited:

I took Spanish in public school and cannot speak a lick. The reason is that I have had little use for it in the last 40 years. I also can't diagram a sentence or remember Roman Numerals

Why are you so afraid of public schools ? If you home schooled and your local school had an excellent calculus program, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of it?

It may be that the public school won't allow a homeschooled student entry to calculus. It may be the parent can do so or find what they consider an acceptable source, outside of a school that may allow. Truth is, few public schools will allow a homeschool student to pick and choose. I've heard of zero.

I've heard of many, including my own, that will allow for math, science courses, if applied and approved for more that a year in advance. My own school district allows homeschoolers to try out for sports teams and allows open enrollment for camps. They also send mailers to homeschoolers that sign up for service opportunities.

I wouldn't have to. I did very well in calculus. And there is nothing that is taught in a public school that one cannot learn on their own.

Forum List

Back