Liberal/Conservative

USMCDevilDog

Jul 8, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Hey, I'm pretty good and into politics but for someone who knows alot about it my dumbass doesn't quite understand the differences between Liberals and Conservative, Democrats and Republicans. I know the basics of the differences between them but what's the real truth and grit about them?

It'd help my choose what I want to be when I get to vote for the first time in 2008. Thanks.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
USMCDevilDog said:
Hey, I'm pretty good and into politics but for someone who knows alot about it my dumbass doesn't quite understand the differences between Liberals and Conservative, Democrats and Republicans. I know the basics of the differences between them but what's the real truth and grit about them?

It'd help my choose what I want to be when I get to vote for the first time in 2008. Thanks.

Are you a Marine, or just planning on it? Just call me curious. One reason I ask is you mention your age, but you are sporting an officer's Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

I'm going to join as soon as I get out of highschool. LoL sorry about the Avatar I didn't know it meant that, just thought it was the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, just wanted to show my support for Marines :) Sorry for the mistake!!

USMCDevilDog said:
I'm going to join as soon as I get out of highschool. LoL sorry about the Avatar I didn't know it meant that, just thought it was the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, just wanted to show my support for Marines :) Sorry for the mistake!!

Welcome! On your question, my answer tonight:

P. J. O'Rourke:

The Democrats are the party of government activism, the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then get elected and prove it.

Glad to have you here Devildog and thanks for your service in the Military (im assuming by your name that you are military).

The difference between liberal and conservative based upon the current political landscape are far greater then those between Democrat and Republican. Dems and Reps are politicians. They have some base values and beliefs but most would abandon those beliefs in a heartbeat if it meant another vote. That goes for both parties. Conservatives and liberals are the actually people who believe in their ideals.

A conservative is one who believes in limited government involvement in the daily lives of the people. They believe that government should provide a strong military to protect the country from its enemies. They believe that human spirit and the drive to succeed will overcome in the face of adversity. Thats why they oppose many of the government handout programs such as welfare, social security, medicare, medicaid. While the necessity for such programs exists for those that are truely poor or mentally disabled, the definitions have been too far extended to those that do not qualify for aid and merely take advantage of the people by taking money that they didnt earn. Conservatives believe that the individual should control their own wealth and are always opposed to senseless taxes and tax increases. Conservatives believe in the right to bear arms. The initial meaning was for the people to be able to protect themselves from an oppressive government. True conservatives believe in the right to freedom. Freedom to live your life as you please as long as it doesnt infringe on the lives of others. Petty and ridiculous laws to TRUE conservatives infringe on personal freedoms of the individual and threaten the American way of life for which conservatives wish to preserve. Basically conservatives want the freedom of the individual to shine through without government involvement. This does not mean they want anarchy or no taxes. It simple means the less laws against the individuals rights and freedoms, means the more prosperous a country can become.

A modern liberal has dreams of a perfect society in which all people join together as a group and help everyone else out. They believe that to live in peace, everyone must chip in and be a part of the whole. In this form of ideology, the individual sacrifices their aspirations for the needs of the group. To this extent, liberals support goverment programs that mandate funds to the "poor" and "needy". They have good intentions and big ideals. Unfortunately, they dont account for the existence of evil in the world in their ideologies. In order for the perfect Liberal Society to exist, all people must be good by nature. Not everyone in this world is good natured. To that extent, many liberals mistake enemies as friends because they believe that their is good in everyone. They therefore do not believe in a large military since it would, in their opinion, provoke others to violence against them. They believe that if you are nice enough to people, then they will be nice to you. They also believe that those who are more prosperous must be forced to help those that are less prosperous through higher taxes for government programs. They dont believe that "rich" people are capable of giving charitably on their own and therfore want a governing body to mandate them to do so. Basically a liberal believes in the group as a whole is greater then the individual spirit. Ironically it is the individual spirit that makes a group great. Most liberals dont realize that though.

Hope that helped alittle.

Thanks Insein, that did help a bunch! Unfortunately I'm not in the Military yet, seems my name and avatar has caused a bunch of confusion here, didn't mean for that to happen, just showing my support and my "poolee" admiration.

I think when it comes to being Liberal or Conservative (and I dunno if this is ok to be or what) but I think I'm sorta, half n half. I believe in alot of the Conservative views but then some of them I don't, same with Liberal.

I took a little test to decide what I was, it came out 66% Liberal, 44% Conservative, but it's just a test.

Kathianne said:

P. J. O'Rourke:

The Democrats are the party of government activism, the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then get elected and prove it.

I like this from P.J.:

The Democrats are like Santa Claus: a big, friendly guy with a white beard who gives toys to everyone.

The Republicans are like God: a big, stern guy with a white beard who judges harshly.

Oh, and don't forget: there's no such thing as Santa Claus.

USMCDevilDog said:

No reason to apologize. It IS the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The difference being, enlisted EGA is once color -- brass. Officer EGAs are more finely detailed and both brass and silver.

Thanks Insein, that did help a bunch! Unfortunately I'm not in the Military yet, seems my name and avatar has caused a bunch of confusion here, didn't mean for that to happen, just showing my support and my "poolee" admiration.

I think when it comes to being Liberal or Conservative (and I dunno if this is ok to be or what) but I think I'm sorta, half n half. I believe in alot of the Conservative views but then some of them I don't, same with Liberal.

I took a little test to decide what I was, it came out 66% Liberal, 44% Conservative, but it's just a test.

Your name and avatar are fine. Poolee's that aren't gung ho have issues.

Let me add a new term for you: Centrist. Centrists are usually fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but try to find moderation on most issues. Problem with that is, if you're sitting on the fence, you ain't in the fight.

Here's a test for you:

You are planning to join the Marines. Which party best uses the military for its intended purpose and knows it has to be well-equipped to do so, and which one lets it rot in place?

That question, should you join, WILL affect you personally.

GunnyL said:
...Here's a test for you:

You are planning to join the Marines. Which party best uses the military for its intended purpose and knows it has to be well-equipped to do so, and which one lets it rot in place?

That question, should you join, WILL affect you personally.

Perfect advice, Gunny. Admiring smooches to you!

(I tried to rep you, but couldn't).

I understand your question Gunny.

I know for a fact that Marines (if not all branches) are Conservative and Republican the most. Personally I feel like I'm more Conservative when I think about the situations that make me choose, but there are some things wrong with it, as is true with the Liberal side. Both have great strengths and great weaknesses.

No matter what "side" I am, I'm in the damn fight wether they like it or not :rock: lol

Conservatives are very conservative when it comes to the environment. They want to sell it to the highest bidder.

Liberals are very tolerant except when you disagree with them.

Conservatives are against PC talk. They are straight shooters. Except when it comes to mercenaries. Then they use PC terminology-contractors.

Liberals believe in giving everyone a break through affirmative action. Oh yeah, except Asians. Because they are clearly superior to the other minorities they get no preferences.

Conservatives are against big government except when it comes to telling people who can have sex with each other. They want the government to control that.

Liberals believe in womens rights. Except when it comes to Islam. In that case religious rights come first.

Conservatives are very macho, except when they vote for a knucklehead who is a big mama's boy.

Liberals believe that all people are equal. Except white trash. They are negligible.

Conservatives think government should stay out of peoples business, except when you are in an airport. Then you should have to take off your shoes and throw out your matches and Swiss Army Knife. For no reason whatsoever other than to prove that the government can tell you what to do.

In short anybody who would describe themselves as either liberal or conservative is:

A. Lying
B. Idiotic

USMCDevilDog said:
I understand your question Gunny.

I know for a fact that Marines (if not all branches) are Conservative and Republican the most. Personally I feel like I'm more Conservative when I think about the situations that make me choose, but there are some things wrong with it, as is true with the Liberal side. Both have great strengths and great weaknesses.

No matter what "side" I am, I'm in the damn fight wether they like it or not :rock: lol

Both sides have strengths and weaknesses. Which side has the most strengths and which side the most weaknesses? Which side stands for something positive, and which side stands for destroying everything that has made this Nation great?

Personally, I like insein's explanation. Best I've seen in awhile.

Marines are more likely to be conservative -- not necessarily Republican -- than the other branches, but overall, the military, IMO, is more conservative than not.

It's not hard to figure out. When Republicans buy you new weapons and bullets to put in them, and you're keeping your weapons and equipment together with duct tape, super glue and bailing wire during a Dem administration, you have to look at which side your bread is buttered on.

The Republican support the military, and the military is smart enough to support them rather than the alternative of being an afterthought.

Thanks alot guys all this info. helps alot! Now that I read about it, I feel I am definetely more Conservative then Liberal, more Republican then Democrat.

Of course though I'm not to the point where I bash Liberals, gimme till I'm in the Marines for that hehe :D

USMCDevilDog said:
Thanks alot guys all this info. helps alot! Now that I read about it, I feel I am definetely more Conservative then Liberal, more Republican then Democrat.

Of course though I'm not to the point where I bash Liberals, gimme till I'm in the Marines for that hehe :D

Actually, you already did a pretty good job on Mally in his/her thread. :salute:

nucular said:
Conservatives are very conservative when it comes to the environment. They want to sell it to the highest bidder.

Liberals are very tolerant except when you disagree with them.

Conservatives are against PC talk. They are straight shooters. Except when it comes to mercenaries. Then they use PC terminology-contractors.

Liberals believe in giving everyone a break through affirmative action. Oh yeah, except Asians. Because they are clearly superior to the other minorities they get no preferences.

Conservatives are against big government except when it comes to telling people who can have sex with each other. They want the government to control that.

Liberals believe in womens rights. Except when it comes to Islam. In that case religious rights come first.

Conservatives are very macho, except when they vote for a knucklehead who is a big mama's boy.

Liberals believe that all people are equal. Except white trash. They are negligible.

Conservatives think government should stay out of peoples business, except when you are in an airport. Then you should have to take off your shoes and throw out your matches and Swiss Army Knife. For no reason whatsoever other than to prove that the government can tell you what to do.

In short anybody who would describe themselves as either liberal or conservative is:

A. Lying
B. Idiotic

All true except substitute Republican for conservative and Democrat for Liberal and you have it. The parties act this way. The true believers (for the most part) don't.

USMCDevilDog said:

Be wary of the online tests. Depending on the site, they can sway you to whatever agenda they are looking to push. Its best to take it one situation at a time. You decide when one is presented to you rather than trying to answer hypothetical nonsense.

Kathianne said:

P. J. O'Rourke:

I would have repped your for this, but I gotta spread it around some more.

Forum List

Back