Liberal columnist upset because Republicans ended slavery

Slavery did not become an issue until well into the Civil War. Lincoln proposed ending slavery as a way to punish the south for secession.

I've heard a lot of dumb things about the war, like, it wasn't about slavery, it was about "states rights".

But this one takes the cake.

Last edited:
Tell me again that liberals are inherently more intelligent than conservatives and I will laugh my ass off.

It turns out, however, that some of those most inclined to exalt American exceptionalism are simply using the imaginary past to defend their cultural tics — conventional marriage or school prayer or, for some odd reason, a furious antipathy to the notion that mankind has contributed (just a bit) to global warming. Their enemy is what Gingrich calls “the secular left” — people who not only approve of gay marriage but also apparently don’t fly charter as he does. The huge role of religion in American politics is nothing new but always a matter for concern nonetheless. In the years preceding the Civil War, both sides of the slavery issue claimed the endorsement of God. The 1856 Republican convention concluded with a song that ended like this: “We’ve truth on our side/ We’ve God for our guide.” Within five years, Americans were slaughtering one another on the battlefield.
Therein lies the danger of American exceptionalism. It discourages compromise, for what God has made exceptional, man must not alter. And yet clearly America must change fundamentally or continue to decline. It could begin by junking a phase that reeks of arrogance and discourages compromise. American exceptionalism ought to be called American narcissism. We look perfect only to ourselves.

The myth of American exceptionalism - The Washington Post

Where is the upset about Republicans ending slavery in that? Seems to me, that Liberals have got nothing on you when it comes to a lack of intelligence.

So don't fuck with me. Republicans were never a liberal party. Your teachers should be fired.

You should have gone to school.

Classical liberalism is the philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.[1][2]

Classical liberalism developed in the 19th century in Europe and the United States. Although classical liberalism built on ideas that had already developed by the end of the 18th century, it advocated a specific kind of society, government and public policy as a response to the Industrial Revolution and urbanization.[3] Notable individuals who have contributed to classical liberalism include Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Malthus and David Ricardo.[4] It drew on the economics of Adam Smith and on a belief in natural law, utilitarianism, and progress.

There was a revival of interest in classical liberalism in the 20th century led by Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman.[5]

Recognize those names? Reagan sure did. And people pretending to be conservatives today pay lip service to these men.

Some call the late 19th century development of classical liberalism "neo-classical liberalism," which argued for government to be as small as possible in order to allow the exercise of individual freedom, while some refer to all liberalism before the 20th century as classical liberalism.[6]

The term classical liberalism was applied in retrospect to distinguish earlier 19th-century liberalism from the newer social liberalism.[7]

Classical liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
No need to go in to the whole "classical liberalism (aka libertarianism) is the real liberalism" show. The Republican Party circa 1860 was, for its time, a liberal party in the modern sense of the word.

Tell me again that liberals are inherently more intelligent than conservatives and I will laugh my ass off.

It turns out, however, that some of those most inclined to exalt American exceptionalism are simply using the imaginary past to defend their cultural tics — conventional marriage or school prayer or, for some odd reason, a furious antipathy to the notion that mankind has contributed (just a bit) to global warming. Their enemy is what Gingrich calls “the secular left” — people who not only approve of gay marriage but also apparently don’t fly charter as he does. The huge role of religion in American politics is nothing new but always a matter for concern nonetheless. In the years preceding the Civil War, both sides of the slavery issue claimed the endorsement of God. The 1856 Republican convention concluded with a song that ended like this: “We’ve truth on our side/ We’ve God for our guide.” Within five years, Americans were slaughtering one another on the battlefield.
Therein lies the danger of American exceptionalism. It discourages compromise, for what God has made exceptional, man must not alter. And yet clearly America must change fundamentally or continue to decline. It could begin by junking a phase that reeks of arrogance and discourages compromise. American exceptionalism ought to be called American narcissism. We look perfect only to ourselves.

I saw the word compromise...in the Statist world? That means our way or the highway. Republicans in the 20th Century and certainly now seem to be cotowing to compromise...as they slide to the left to fill the void vacated by old school Democrats whom no longer exist as the Democrat party has been hijacked by Marxist/Communist/Statists. (Which are all for the new slavery on a much more massive scale).

I saw the word compromise...in the Statist world? That means our way or the highway. Republicans in the 20th Century and certainly now seem to be cotowing to compromise...as they slide to the left to fill the void vacated by old school Democrats whom no longer exist as the Democrat party has been hijacked by Marxist/Communist/Statists. (Which are all for the new slavery on a much more massive scale).

The Republican Party, which claims to want a balanced budget, but refuses to take a deal that was stacked at least 6-to-1 in their favor toward that end, is the party of compromise? You really do live in a bubble.

Also, Republicans have slide to the left? The mainstream of the Democratic Party today is the right of where the Republicans were circa 1970.

The Republican Party, which claims to want a balanced budget, but refuses to take a deal that was stacked at least 6-to-1 in their favor toward that end, is the party of compromise? You really do live in a bubble.

Also, Republicans have slide to the left? The mainstream of the Democratic Party today is the right of where the Republicans were circa 1970.
Tell us when the Democrats submit a budget, and get back to us will you? [1000days]:eusa_whistle:
And Tell us when Dingy harry Reid stops sitting on submitted bills to embarass Republicans, will you?

You fail.

Where is the upset about Republicans ending slavery in that? Seems to me, that Liberals have got nothing on you when it comes to a lack of intelligence.

Maybe the problem is a lack of imagination on your part. The author is clearly upset about the lack of compromise from Republicans, their belief in American exceptionalism, their intransigence about religion, and manages to equate all of that to the Civil War.

From the OP.

The huge role of religion in American politics is nothing new but always a matter for concern nonetheless. In the years preceding the Civil War, both sides of the slavery issue claimed the endorsement of God. The 1856 Republican convention concluded with a song that ended like this: “We’ve truth on our side/ We’ve God for our guide.” Within five years, Americans were slaughtering one another on the battlefield.

Therein lies the danger of American exceptionalism. It discourages compromise, for what God has made exceptional, man must not alter. And yet clearly America must change fundamentally or continue to decline. It could begin by junking a phrase that reeks of arrogance and discourages compromise. American exceptionalism ought to be called American narcissism. We look perfect only to ourselves.

Tell me something, why is it that intelligent liberals read this and were offended, but you aren't?

Do I get an award for having a zombie thread?

Last edited:

Are you talking about something other than the budget talks last year where everyone had come together on a deal, and then Obama decided to throw in another tax hike just to prove that he hates rich people?

No need to go in to the whole "classical liberalism (aka libertarianism) is the real liberalism" show. The Republican Party circa 1860 was, for its time, a liberal party in the modern sense of the word.

Bullshit.

If they were "liberal" they would have identified themselves as such, or others would have identified them as such.

People think that their own warped and incorrect understanding of things actually dictates history. And people are wrong. History is what it is. Republicans were NOT liberal, they never were. This is just more adjustment of history by a group of people who REALLY don't like to be identified as what they are (fascist) and desperately try to force people to associate them with a different set of values than those they have and promote.

LIBERALS have nothing against slavery, they never have. LIBERALS believe that certain groups of people have "more" rights than others, and think that a person's intentions should be able to justify any sort of behavior they choose to inflict upon others. You see it in their insistence that people aren't responsible for their own behavior...they will always find a good "reason" for bad behavior, that eliminates the need for punishment and will establish an excuse for tyranny.

Today's liberalism was birthed in the 1930s, and is NOTHING but an offshoot of communism.

Last edited:

You misread the column and missed the entire point. In any case..conservatism didn't end slavery..a liberal agenda did.

Lincoln was no conservative.

Bullshit.

If they were "liberal" they would have identified themselves as such, or others would have identified them as such.

People think that their own warped and incorrect understanding of things actually dictates history. And people are wrong. History is what it is. Republicans were NOT liberal, they never were. This is just more adjustment of history by a group of people who REALLY don't like to be identified as what they are (fascist) and desperately try to force people to associate them with a different set of values than those they have and promote.

LIBERALS have nothing against slavery, they never have. LIBERALS believe that certain groups of people have "more" rights than others, and think that a person's intentions should be able to justify any sort of behavior they choose to inflict upon others. You see it in their insistence that people aren't responsible for their own behavior...they will always find a good "reason" for bad behavior, that eliminates the need for punishment and will establish an excuse for tyranny.

Today's liberalism was birthed in the 1930s, and is NOTHING but an offshoot of communism.

:lol:

Unbelievable.

Seriously.

Republicans were the liberal wing of the whigs that thought they went to far. And it got more liberal as time went on. It's been a mixed bag..just as the Democratic party has been until very recently.

Yeah you go ahead and source that.

Unbelievable is right. Because now you're just lying.

What makes you think the Republicans who ended slavery were conservatives? They were liberals. Just like the liberals who are fighting for equal rights for Gay folks.

Shame on you. You may have just shattered another right wing delusion. What if they actually do some research and find that to be true? They will be devastated.

Hmmm, I wonder what party the Aryan Nation and the KKK belong to? One that's 90% white or one that's a coalition? Hmmmm. Requires some thought.
The KKK were the terrorist arm of the Democrat Party.

True story.

Did he bring up how one has to go back 150 years to find out the last time RepubliCONZ did something right?

Tsk tsk...G. Bush signed the bill that resulted in rural clinics going up all over the US.

Definitely LESS than 150 years ago.

Bush also tried to put the brakes on FM & FM. Repeatedly. Not his fault if criminal lefties insisted on running full steam ahead with it.

Tsk tsk...G. Bush signed the bill that resulted in rural clinics going up all over the US.

Definitely LESS than 150 years ago.

Bush also tried to put the brakes on FM & FM. Repeatedly. Not his fault if criminal lefties insisted on running full steam ahead with it.
Bush also did a lot to bring down the AIDS rate in Africa.

Curious behavior for a racist, no?

Hmmm, I wonder what party the Aryan Nation and the KKK belong to? One that's 90% white or one that's a coalition? Hmmmm. Requires some thought.

You probably think the Aryan Nations and KKK belong to the GOP.

You misread the column and missed the entire point. In any case..conservatism didn't end slavery..a liberal agenda did.

Lincoln was no conservative.

Again, where the fuck did I say conservatives ended slavery? I mocked the assumption that liberals are more intelligent than conservatives, and you proved I am right in mocking that.

Forum List

Back