Liberal columnist upset because Republicans ended slavery

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Tell me again that liberals are inherently more intelligent than conservatives and I will laugh my ass off.

It turns out, however, that some of those most inclined to exalt American exceptionalism are simply using the imaginary past to defend their cultural tics — conventional marriage or school prayer or, for some odd reason, a furious antipathy to the notion that mankind has contributed (just a bit) to global warming. Their enemy is what Gingrich calls “the secular left” — people who not only approve of gay marriage but also apparently don’t fly charter as he does. The huge role of religion in American politics is nothing new but always a matter for concern nonetheless. In the years preceding the Civil War, both sides of the slavery issue claimed the endorsement of God. The 1856 Republican convention concluded with a song that ended like this: “We’ve truth on our side/ We’ve God for our guide.” Within five years, Americans were slaughtering one another on the battlefield.
Therein lies the danger of American exceptionalism. It discourages compromise, for what God has made exceptional, man must not alter. And yet clearly America must change fundamentally or continue to decline. It could begin by junking a phase that reeks of arrogance and discourages compromise. American exceptionalism ought to be called American narcissism. We look perfect only to ourselves.

The myth of American exceptionalism - The Washington Post

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I'm not so sure that the columnist was upset over Republicans ending slavery as much as claiming that American exceptionalism exists and that all men are created equally.

Tell me again that liberals are inherently more intelligent than conservatives and I will laugh my ass off.

It turns out, however, that some of those most inclined to exalt American exceptionalism are simply using the imaginary past to defend their cultural tics — conventional marriage or school prayer or, for some odd reason, a furious antipathy to the notion that mankind has contributed (just a bit) to global warming. Their enemy is what Gingrich calls “the secular left” — people who not only approve of gay marriage but also apparently don’t fly charter as he does. The huge role of religion in American politics is nothing new but always a matter for concern nonetheless. In the years preceding the Civil War, both sides of the slavery issue claimed the endorsement of God. The 1856 Republican convention concluded with a song that ended like this: “We’ve truth on our side/ We’ve God for our guide.” Within five years, Americans were slaughtering one another on the battlefield.
Therein lies the danger of American exceptionalism. It discourages compromise, for what God has made exceptional, man must not alter. And yet clearly America must change fundamentally or continue to decline. It could begin by junking a phase that reeks of arrogance and discourages compromise. American exceptionalism ought to be called American narcissism. We look perfect only to ourselves.

What makes you think the Republicans who ended slavery were conservatives? They were liberals. Just like the liberals who are fighting for equal rights for Gay folks.

your link has nothing to do with your thread title

WTF are you babbling about? Republicans and conservatives were not the same thing back then

Last edited:

What makes you think the Republicans who ended slavery were conservatives? They were liberals. Just like the liberals who are fighting for equal rights for Gay folks.

Hey genius, can you point to anywhere I made any claim about the Republicans that ended slavery being anything other than Republicans? Have you always had the ability to see things that are not there, or is it something that happened after you became a liberal? Do you think the Republicans should have compromised on slavery? Should the people who are fighting for gay rights compromise?

Sad thing is they could have saved all those lives and all that money by merely exercising eminent domain and freeing the slaves. But unfortunately it cost us the blood of good (and bad) men to free the slaves instead of just money.

I'm not so sure that the columnist was upset over Republicans ending slavery as much as claiming that American exceptionalism exists and that all men are created equally.

He is upset that Republicans did not compromise and let the issue slavery work itself out.

Hey genius, can you point to anywhere I made any claim about the Republicans that ended slavery being anything other than Republicans? Have you always had the ability to see things that are not there, or is it something that happened after you became a liberal? Do you think the Republicans should have compromised on slavery? Should the people who are fighting for gay rights compromise?

Yeah I thought it was kind of dumb.

Oh, and there is no way those Republicans would have supported gay marriage. Their platform was two fold: End slavery. Keep marriage between a man and a woman.

WTF are you babbling about? Republicans and conservatives were not the same thing back then

Where the fuck did I say that they were conservative? The idiot liberal is upset because Republicans refuse to compromise, and the issue he chose to illustrate his point is slavery.

They were Liberal AND Republican

The Conservatives supported slavery and states rights....just like today

Shame on you. You may have just shattered another right wing delusion. What if they actually do some research and find that to be true? They will be devastated.

Hmmm, I wonder what party the Aryan Nation and the KKK belong to? One that's 90% white or one that's a coalition? Hmmmm. Requires some thought.

Where the fuck did I say that they were conservative? The idiot liberal is upset because Republicans refuse to compromise, and the issue he chose to illustrate his point is slavery.

No he didn't

He said both sides of the slavery issue claimed that god was on their side. Again.....WTF are you babbling about? It has nothing to do with your link

Well, the creation process is the same but after that, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Oh, and there is no way those Republicans would have supported gay marriage. Their platform was two fold: End slavery. Keep marriage between a man and a woman.

Well said, would've been nice had we at least tried a more diplomatic approach rather than being so quick to the gun. But hey it's america, it's just gotten progressively worse (the foreign policy that is) as our history has gone in terms of our favoring of war.

Slavery ended in europe without a war, probably could've happened here.

Utter lie. Modern Conservatives have never supported Slavery.

State rights are principles of the Constitution. Something many of us have sworn to uphold. We would give out lives to support it.

They do love their cheap labor.

And if they can't get it for free, then cheap is the next best thing.

They do love their cheap labor.

And if they can't get it for free, then cheap is the next best thing.

They found out that cheap was easier than free

Well said, would've been nice had we at least tried a more diplomatic approach rather than being so quick to the gun. But hey it's america, it's just gotten progressively worse (the foreign policy that is) as our history has gone in terms of our favoring of war.

I seem to remember the US liberating european slave camps

Took a war to do it

Hey there was the emninent domain option. It was out there but largely concidered radical. In hindsight, it would have fixed alot of problems. But Americans really didnt want to listen to the Pesky mormons at the time.

Besides, I guess it had to happen. Prophecies needing to be fulfilled and all. I wonder how the next century would have gone concidering the Germans learned how to build their war machine for the next three quarters of the century by studying how the North used their industry and the rails to defeat the South. Would there have been a World War 1 as early as we had it? Would Germany have been able to unite itself? Would they have figured it out on their own without studying us?

Lots of interesting what if questions. Interesting to speculate but you dont really know.

Forum List

Back