Liberal Colleges and Universities - Why and How Did They Get That Way?

universities tend to 'live in both worlds' too. i don't think there's any sense in separating practicality from knowledge if you're talking about the real world.

The university as an entity does (live in both worlds). The individuals who make up the teaching staff of universities do not. Those who are teaching are not running and managing the institution- they are instructing those of us who are the doers.

most colleges populate their professorial staffs with people who are not only intellectuals but who have had practical experience... probably more among the adjunct professors, though, i'd think.

Absolutely, one physics teacher I had retired from working at GM.

Like I said in a previous post, another physics teacher only taught physics on the side. His real job was working with lasers and dermatology.

A calculus teacher I had was also an "actuary" and the semester I had him was his last because he was taking over the training program at Allstate.

A woman teacher, she taught statistics, retired from Goodyear.

And a Mexican engineer I work with tutors physics at a downtown University.

This whole thing about professors living these weird, sinister and closeted lives divorced from the "real world" and who have no common sense is a complete fabrication from the right.

I don't understand why the right continues to lie and slander everyone that actually does good for the nation, but they do it so much, I'm surprised when they don't.

There are folks in universities and school systems who are conservative. They have to keep a low profile because of heavy politics against them. Outnumbered in government and educational systems. These are small government and fiscal conservatives.

A liberal is a nuclear powered, goody two shoes, opinionated, social conservative. They love massive government, massive taxation on the people, and restrictive laws. They are also completely against ANY government reform. The system is just fine for them, continue sending your checks to them. Most of today's changes in society and laws that equate to the highest prison population in history came from liberals.

You see, liberals got this way because this is their payroll.
Your tax dollars at work: 2010 State Payroll - BostonHerald.com

They receive tax benefits, are not considered big business, and have a very nice gig going on thanks to almost a century of Democrat monopoly on legislation and power. I think last year you used to have to go page 30 to find anyone making under 150K in this state, now expect it's worse this year.

And the lower class and middle class are being denied a higher education because of cost restrictions.

Glad the liberals doing so well.

This is why conservatives have always been more charitable than liberals. Not a very good crew these liberals, extremely arrogant and selfish.

When has a conservative crew ever been in power anyways???? Not in our lifetimes.

Why the focus on conservatives who have never existed?

:)

The university as an entity does (live in both worlds). The individuals who make up the teaching staff of universities do not. Those who are teaching are not running and managing the institution- they are instructing those of us who are the doers.

most colleges populate their professorial staffs with people who are not only intellectuals but who have had practical experience... probably more among the adjunct professors, though, i'd think.

Absolutely, one physics teacher I had retired from working at GM.

Like I said in a previous post, another physics teacher only taught physics on the side. His real job was working with lasers and dermatology.

A calculus teacher I had was also an "actuary" and the semester I had him was his last because he was taking over the training program at Allstate.

A woman teacher, she taught statistics, retired from Goodyear.

And a Mexican engineer I work with tutors physics at a downtown University.

This whole thing about professors living these weird, sinister and closeted lives divorced from the "real world" and who have no common sense is a complete fabrication from the right.

I don't understand why the right continues to lie and slander everyone that actually does good for the nation, but they do it so much, I'm surprised when they don't.

i know what you mean. my fave professor of mid-east politics is still one of the foremost experts on the subject in the country. and my constitutional law professor was one of the prosecutors at neuremberg.

no question that some are cloistered, but not the best of them.

I want to address something else too. Many on this board seem to think that academia is a "Borg mentality.".

I don't see it as Borg mentality myself, I just tend to think that the world of academia is primarily made up of people who are more skilled at conceptualizing than producing. It's not an insult, it's just differences in the way individuals perceive, analyze, and act. I can conceptualize something that I want to accomplish, and I accomplish it myself with my own energy and skills. Some people can conceptualize something that they desire to be a reality, but they lack the skills or knowledge to create it. Others cannot conceptualize something that they want, but when they see it, they can replicate it. My original premise was that academia primarily attracts those that can conceptualize, dream, and think, but their inability to put their ideas into "form" keeps them from being oriented toward practicality, because thinking, in and of itself, does not demand practical solutions.

And yet, our greatest centers for research and "producing" innovations in this country is from "universities". Guess that wasn't a very good theory.

Okay, I get it.

This is an example of stereotype (from the right of course):

This whole thing about professors living these weird, sinister and closeted lives divorced from the "real world" and who have no common sense....

while this is not:

There are folks in universities and school systems who are conservative. They have to keep a low profile because of heavy politics against them. Outnumbered in government and educational systems. These are small government and fiscal conservatives.

A liberal is a nuclear powered, goody two shoes, opinionated, social conservative. They love massive government, massive taxation on the people, and restrictive laws. They are also completely against ANY government reform. The system is just fine for them, continue sending your checks to them. Most of today's changes in society and laws that equate to the highest prison population in history came from liberals.

They receive tax benefits, are not considered big business, and have a very nice gig going on thanks to almost a century of Democrat monopoly on legislation and power. I think last year you used to have to go page 30 to find anyone making under 150K in this state, now expect it's worse this year.

And the lower class and middle class are being denied a higher education because of cost restrictions.

This is why conservatives have always been more charitable than liberals. Not a very good crew these liberals, extremely arrogant and selfish.

When has a conservative crew ever been in power anyways???? Not in our lifetimes.

When people say "conservatives" are more charitable than "liberals", at first, it seems totally true. When such statistics are gathered, they are always taken from "churches" and "food banks" and similar institutions. But liberals give to the "National Endowment for the Arts" and create scholarships in rural areas, urban areas and military bases.

While conservatives feel superior for giving a man a loaf of bread, liberals "teach" that man how to make his own loaf of bread. One of the distinctive differences between "conservative" and "liberal".

Last edited by a moderator:

When people say "conservatives" are more charitable than "liberals", at first, it seems totally true. When such statistics are gathered, they are always taken from "churches" and "food banks" and similar institutions. But liberals give to the "National Endowment for the Arts" and create scholarships in rural areas, urban areas and military bases.

While conservatives feel superior for giving a man a loaf of breast, liberals "teach" that man how to make his own loaf of bread. One of the distinctive differences between "conservative" and "liberal".
BULLSHIT

but then you are known for posting bullshit

Okay, I get it.

This is an example of stereotype (from the right of course):

This whole thing about professors living these weird, sinister and closeted lives divorced from the "real world" and who have no common sense....

while this is not:

The truth is, "I DON'T understand why the right continues to lie and slander anyone that actually does good for the nation. And they do it so much, I'm surprised when they don't. Read what right wingers on this site write. Watch Fox news. Read about why Republicans have presented 42 amendments to the constitution in just the last 18 months and what they are for and who they are targeting.

THEN come back and explain how I'm wrong.

While conservatives feel superior for giving a man a loaf of breast, liberals "teach" that man how to make his own loaf of bread. One of the distinctive differences between "conservative" and "liberal".
BULLSHIT

Only by dipshits.

Not so much "instructing" the doers as enabling them. After all the doers go to the university because they need/can use what they find there. If the University had nothing to offer, the doers wouldn't be filling my classrooms.

And it isn't just students coming to take advantage of what the university has to offer. Many of my colleagues across campus supplement their income working as consultants for local industry. Local businesses help keep the campus open through donations.

I want to address something else too. Many on this board seem to think that academia is a "Borg mentality.". The only reason it appears that way is because academia closes ranks quickly against outsiders. It's pure survival. The truth is there isn't a department on campus that isn't rife with disagreements on techniques, research, methodology, etc. Academia is a haven for diverse ideas. Closing ranks when attacked is how we protect that.

Which is why I keep talking about perception, and not trying to prove that my point of view is correct. I know some extremely liberal professors, but I also know some that are conservative, and a few that make Ron Paul look sane.

Sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on my iPod touch, not an iPhone. I can't get reception with AT&T.

Ever consider switching providers? It is legal to jailbreak your iPhone these days.

BULLSHIT

Only by dipshits.
you shouldnt talk about yourself like that

The truth is, "I DON'T understand why the right continues to lie and slander anyone that actually does good for the nation.

Well, it's a difficult situation because your perception of "good and bad for the nation" may be very different from mine. From my perspective, liberal social policies (in a fiscal sense) are going to take us into bankruptcy. We are on an unsustainable path, and it's certainly not only liberals who have contributed, but they have done the lion's share so far. What do you consider good for the nation?

Read what right wingers on this site write.

It doesn't matter what rightwingers on this site write, nor what leftwingers write. What matters is what is happening.

THEN come back and explain how I'm wrong.

It's not my place to explain to you how you are wrong. Your opinion is just that, and my opinion is as well. We can discuss ideas, and I think it's a good exercise in trying to grow personally, but what we discuss is about as effective as wishes. What really matters is whether or not we, as a nation, are making decisions and living in a way that can sustain our nation's survival. On our current course, I doubt we can in the long term.

A common cry of many conservatives is that, in general, our institutions of higher learning in this country (colleges, universities, etc.) are "liberal." They teach "liberal concepts," they cater to liberals, all of the professors are liberals, and so forth. Let's assume, for sake of argument, that this is correct - that our colleges and universities are, for the most part, liberal.

What is it about our colleges and universities that makes them liberal, in your opinion and why do you think they became so, as opposed to leaning more toward conservative thought?

funny you should ask that. a few weeks ago, the author Lizzie Wurtzel (Prozac Nation) tweeted something to the effect that if it's 'intellectuals' who are drawn toward 'liberalism', maybe liberalism is just smarter.

Knowledge isn't conservative or liberal, it's impartial. But liberals are generally drawn towards education, facts, research and knowledge because it's so satisfying. The more you learn, the more secure you feel.

Conservative is all about "freeze everything in place" so we can feel secure. Only, you feel less secure. What you don't understand can be frightening.

Wow.

That was almost a rational and reasoned comment. Then you blew it by showing your bias.

You do know that the study that promoted this idea defined liberal in a way that you probably find offensive?

It defines "liberal" in terms of concern for genetically nonrelated people and support for private resources that help those people. It does not look at other factors that play into American political beliefs, such as abortion, gun control and gay rights.

Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ - CNN.com

That means that the director of World View, a who is primarily concerned with bringing food and other help to people he has never met, and who are not related to him, would be defined as a liberal for the purposes of this study, even though he opposes abortion and gay rights, and might believe in the right of people to keep and bear arms. He also discriminates by insisting that everyone who works for him also be a Christian.

You should really examine the source and methods of things you agree with before you start tossing the parts you like around, you might find you are agreeing with your enemies by mistake.

When people say "conservatives" are more charitable than "liberals", at first, it seems totally true. When such statistics are gathered, they are always taken from "churches" and "food banks" and similar institutions.
What do you think happens to the money once there? You think they just sit on it?

No. They help people with it.
But liberals give to the "National Endowment for the Arts" and create scholarships in rural areas, urban areas and military bases.
Ahh, yes, the NEA, last refuge for mediocre artists who think bodily excretions are "art".
While conservatives feel superior for giving a man a loaf of bread, liberals "teach" that man how to make his own loaf of bread. One of the distinctive differences between "conservative" and "liberal".
Utterly false. Liberalism wants to make people dependent on government. Conservatism wants people to take care of themselves.

If you have to lie to make your point, your point's not worth making.

I'd add that it seems like there's a fair number of folks posting that have no clue what tenure actually is about.

Tenure isn't job security for life. It's a guarantee of due process when terminated. Tenured faculty can still be summarily fired due to program closure or financial extingency. Every institution has examples of faculty that "stopped working" after tenure and were fired. Nearly every institution I have dealt with has yearly reviews for tenured faculty. Promotion after tenure depends on continued work.

In short, it is far from a free ride.

Broadly speaking, conservatism by definition is traditional; liberalism, tolerant and open to new ideas. Conservatives home-school or send their children to private schools for a reason. (The wealthy do too but that is a class issue.) The reason conservatives dislike college and universities is they are broad minded and broad minded conflicts with narrow traditional ideas. Why no conservative simply says that is because ideally Americans are supposed to be open minded etc. Imagine a strict conservative coming home from college, and now understanding evolution, and believing it is science. The parents may go cuckoo. Or even worse suppose the child comes home agnostic. Ideas have power, conservatives recognize this well, their think tanks spew nonsense constantly, and calling colleges and media "liberal" is one constant charge. Of course they have had to make liberal a bad word too.

"Objectivity cannot be equated with mental blankness; rather, objectivity resides in recognizing your preferences and then subjecting them to especially harsh scrutiny." Stephen Jay Gould

Sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on my iPod touch, not an iPhone. I can't get reception with AT&T.

Ever consider switching providers? It is legal to jailbreak your iPhone these days.

If I had an iPhone, I would have a long time ago. I've found that with an iPod touch I can get access almost anywhere these days. McDonalds has free wireless now. It just isn't worth the data plan.

Forum List

Back